You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What do you do if the heel lock of your skates don’t work?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline hellotwizzles

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
What do you do if the heel lock of your skates don’t work?
« on: April 14, 2018, 02:46:47 PM »
What it says on the tin.

I’ve been skating in Debuts for about two weeks? And I’ve noticed it is almost impossible to get my heel back there no matter how tight I tie. My foot ends up sliding forward so I end up having to toe push to stay up. I had these fitt d at a shop and the next smaller size (5) was uncomfortable so I went with the 5.5, in the stock AB width. Toes are wrapped up tight but not uncomfortably so the toe box works for me, but what I have been doing is kicking the back of the blade against the boards so that the boot lets my heel get in where it’s supposed to. I’ve tried taking out the insoles, sports shoe insoles, barefeet vs skating socks- anyone have tips for this?

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: What do you do if the heel lock of your skates don’t work?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »
What it says on the tin.

I’ve been skating in Debuts for about two weeks? And I’ve noticed it is almost impossible to get my heel back there no matter how tight I tie. My foot ends up sliding forward so I end up having to toe push to stay up. I had these fitt d at a shop and the next smaller size (5) was uncomfortable so I went with the 5.5, in the stock AB width. Toes are wrapped up tight but not uncomfortably so the toe box works for me, but what I have been doing is kicking the back of the blade against the boards so that the boot lets my heel get in where it’s supposed to. I’ve tried taking out the insoles, sports shoe insoles, barefeet vs skating socks- anyone have tips for this?

<<Emphasis added.>>  If that works, then the fit is proper.  Many advanced skaters, coaches, fitters, and boot manufacturers recommend seating your foot heel into the boot heel by kicking the heel of the blade against the rubber matting on the floor.  Once you break your boots in, the inner lining and padding will compress a little, and the fit will be easier.  But a snug heel is essential.

I don't like to do that.  So I lace up.  Walk around for a minute or so, and do about 20 - 30 deep knee bends [this also serves as a warm-up routine].  That seats my foot heel into the boot heel.  Then I untie the laces around the hooks; retighten the laces around the eyelets; and retie the laces around the hooks.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 04:47:56 PM »
Try tying the laces differently.

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2015/12/techniques-for-lacing-your-skates.html

Take a look at the drawing labelled "Heel Slipping" It works, and I use it.

Also, you can put a thin lace bite pad behind the boot tongue and it will push the foot into the counter.

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2014/10/boot-fit-ii-heel.html
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 04:15:03 PM »
What it says on the tin.

I’ve been skating in Debuts for about two weeks? And I’ve noticed it is almost impossible to get my heel back there no matter how tight I tie. My foot ends up sliding forward so I end up having to toe push to stay up.

Do you mean you're pushing with the toe picks?  A little or a lot?

<snip> I have been doing is kicking the back of the blade against the boards so that the boot lets my heel get in where it’s supposed to.

Klingbeil used to suggest heel kicking until the boots molded.  My current skate tech frowns upon it - says it loosens the blade screws.  (*whispers* I still do it, albeit more gently. Shhhh.)

I’ve tried taking out the insoles, sports shoe insoles, barefeet vs skating socks- anyone have tips for this?

Had the same problem - my fitter punched the heel out a bit, opening up the cup.  It's on my landing foot, so if I know I'm doing freestyle, I put a lambswool pad (courtesy of Klingbeil) across the front of my ankle, behind the tongue, before lacing up and use fancy lacing technique.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »
Klingbeil used to suggest heel kicking until the boots molded.  My current skate tech frowns upon it - says it loosens the blade screws.  (*whispers* I still do it, albeit more gently. Shhhh.)
Hooray for your skate tech.  A lot of people recommend whacking the heel of the blade against the flooring.  But that practice jars my gnurdy engineering sensibilities; I just can't bring myself to deliberately shock the screw joints (especially in a shear direction).  I prefer a kinder and gentler approach.