You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Costumes- how much skin is too much?  (Read 2132 times)

Offline lyssykw

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Costumes- how much skin is too much?
« on: March 28, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »
Hi Everyone,
                  So I ordered a dress online to match my Chicago music for my new program. It arrived today and is really gorgeous, however it does have quite a bit of nude mesh, with a deep v down the front and back. Upon trying it on, I feel like the chest area is really on display, so I'm a bit worried that it might be deemed 'inappropriate'.
 I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending it back internationally to have it changed, so I'm thinking of just wearing a black halter neck leotard underneath which makes the front area more 'grey' than 'nude'. Do you think this would be alright? Is coloured mesh more acceptable than nude mesh?
 Has anyone ever had a costume violation before?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Costumes- how much skin is too much?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »
In the US, the rules for singles and pairs simply say that costumes must not give the effect of excessive nudity inappropriate for the discipline. In ice dance, the rule is a little more specific, stating that the majority of the upper body must be covered. For the Latin short dances this past season, it specified that at least 40% of the lady's upper body had to be covered.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »
From your description, it doesn't sound like any sort of official would call it for being inappropriate.

The bigger question is how you feel in it.  If you feel fine, rock it.  If not, you could easily switch that out for a thicker mesh or a coloured mesh.  Body suit could work but may just draw more attention if it doesn't match up perfectly.  If you sew at all, it'd be easy to swap out, or you could find someone local to do it for you.

But like I said, if you feel comfortable in it and think it looks good, then don't worry about it.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
USFSA is part of the ISU, and mostly follows their rules. Try https://isu.org, and search the Technical Rules and Communications sections.

E.g., "Even sheer/transparent fabric which still gives the appearance of a natural skin tone nude look above the percentage allowed is not acceptable."

Do you remember the various controversies over Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin's outfits? (See also.) Of course, they went a bit further, in several ways.

I loved the way Meryl Davis looked in 2014, though the make-up was a bit much, but I'm sure some people thought it risqué. Would that outfit push current rules?