You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: hair styles for figure skaters  (Read 2771 times)

Offline sleepyhead

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
hair styles for figure skaters
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:44:15 AM »
OK there's another unbelievably trivial question burning in my small mind.  88)
Whilst watching a competition yesterday, I noticed that fringes (I think thats 'bangs' in the US??) seem really untidy whilst skating, blowing around the face.
DD had very nice tidy hair in back but looked messy in front.
Is it just me, or do you think skaters are generally better to have long hair all around that can all be pulled back securely like ballerinas usually do?? I'm seriously thinking DD should grow out the fringe.
I'm assuming judges don't really notice/care either way??

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: hair styles for figure skaters
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:13:18 AM »
You can always pin it back so it's tidy. Gel and hairspray also work wonders.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: hair styles for figure skaters
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:22:35 AM »
Some do care.  It's easy, as noted, to neatly part the hair on the side, slick the bangs/fringe back, and fasten it down with an attractive clip. You can also use a pretty hair band if it will stay on or go with the costume. I also will braid/plait the bang/fringe hair close to the scalp beginning at a deep side part (French Braid) and then back into the rest of my DD's hair and pull it then into the bun at the back.  Her bangs/fringe are long enough for that option.

Students who study ballet like my youngest daughter have the same dilemma due to the requirement by traditional teachers to have hair completely off the face. We found it, frankly, easier to grow the hair out, but, in this case, the need to secure it back on a regular basis made it an onerous task. Just doing it for the occasional comp ... not as big a deal.