You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tell me about "attitudes"  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Tell me about "attitudes"
« on: March 10, 2020, 04:02:29 PM »
I'm doing a bit of translation for a friend.  In English skating vocabulary, does the word "attitude" exist, and if so, what does it mean for you (especially if you live in the UK).

After a few responses, we'll see how it matches up, or not, and if necessary I'll need to solicit your help to find a better word....

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Tell me about "attitudes"
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
In what context?  The general sense (such as mental attitude or image projected to an audience).  Or the technical sense (orientation with respect to reference axes, as used in navigation).

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 08:01:12 PM »
It does to me, but that could be due to my background in ballet. So for me it means this: https://www.britannica.com/art/attitude-ballet-position

I have heard it in skating, but perhaps only in the phrase "attitude spin" where the leg is extended behind and bent, often used as a developmental position in teaching a layback.

I think I *may* have heard it for certain spiral positions with a bent free leg, but my gut reaction is that it would have to be explained for many skaters if called that.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Loops

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 12:57:30 AM »
In what context?  The general sense (such as mental attitude or image projected to an audience).  Or the technical sense (orientation with respect to reference axes, as used in navigation).

Haha- the technical sense (we don't need to go down the other rabbit hole! although it is tempting.....)

Offline Loops

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 01:02:48 AM »
It does to me, but that could be due to my background in ballet. So for me it means this: https://www.britannica.com/art/attitude-ballet-position

I have heard it in skating, but perhaps only in the phrase "attitude spin" where the leg is extended behind and bent, often used as a developmental position in teaching a layback.

I think I *may* have heard it for certain spiral positions with a bent free leg, but my gut reaction is that it would have to be explained for many skaters if called that.

Yes, and this is exactly how I feel.  The French use it more widely, but I'll wait to divulge.  This is why I'm hoping to get some of our British members to comment, because there are vocab differences between the US and UK, and the announcement I'm translating (for adult competitions) will reach more Brits than Yanks methinks.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 01:22:13 PM »
From the Wiki glossary of skating terms: 

Attitude:  A leg position in which the free leg is lifted behind the body with the knee bent at an angle and is held behind at a 90-degree angle to the skating foot. This is the leg position often used for the Layback spin.

Offline Loops

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 01:59:45 AM »
Thanks for your input everyone, it is exactly as I suspected.  In colloquial French, at least in the world of Ice Dance, an "attitude" (note- you must pronounce that word, in your head, with a thick french accent, just for effect) is any move done on one foot with the free leg extended, so arabesques, and pretty much any spiral position, with or without a catch-foot, you can think of.

I don't know if the English word "Spiral" covers all that (officially), or if there's another better term.  I bet the ISU has something already though, so I'll be looking into that.

It's a type of "Pose" another word I was having trouble with, but apparently has an official ISU definition, in English, so I will be digging into that, too. But a "Pose" includes all of the above, plus spread eagles, lunges, bauers and hydroblades and probably some other things.

There is added confusion, because this is solo dance, a category that exists in France, and apparently in the UK (??) but no where else. The French terminology is regulated by the Ice Dance commission of the FFSG (the French equivalent to USFSA), but they don't bother to create English language versions.  Since solo ice-dance is not recognized officially by the ISU, terminology for moves that aren't done in standard (i.e. couples) dance has evolved on its own trajectory.   For example, to me a combination spin (from colloquial English Freestyle skating) is a spin where you change position, so camel-sit, layback-Bielmann, etc, but in French Solo Ice dance a Combination spin means a change of foot.  I need to see what the official ISU definitions are of that, as well.

Fun times ahead for me!

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 05:40:07 AM »
If at all possible, look into US Figure Skating’s Solo Dance track for information, too. It’s a growing subset of dance here, particularly in places that lack partners. Pretty much all the high-level ice dancers at my rink are on the solo track. There are tracks for both solo pattern dance and solo free dance. I wish I could link you the rulebook, but it disappeared into the Members-only section of USFSA’s website.
https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/skating-opportunities/solo-dance

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 12:50:28 PM »
Now, I have heard "spiral" used to refer to any gliding move on one foot with the free leg extended above hip height. Free leg can be to the front, back, or side. Straight or bent. Hand assisted or not. It sounds like that might be the word you are looking for here. I think in English, attitude implies bent leg and in skating, it tends to only mean with the leg behind.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
An 'attitude' position in skating is a spiral position when you can't get it high enough, and I have quite an emotional attitude about it. I had a spiral for a couple of weeks lately, then had to give up the exercise regimen. So, double bad-attitude about that.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/