You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is it worth keeping old laces?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Is it worth keeping old laces?
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:33:30 PM »
I just replaced my laces as the old ones were loosening as I was skating, however I had planned to wash the old laces and keep them in case they might be useful (say in an emergency if a pair snapped), but I'm thinking that it's not really worth keeping them as they were causing problems. Correct?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Is it worth keeping old laces?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:26:15 AM »
Throw them out.  The effort to put them back on is more than they are worth, unless nearly new.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:49:51 AM »
I just replaced my laces as the old ones were loosening as I was skating, however I had planned to wash the old laces and keep them in case they might be useful (say in an emergency if a pair snapped), but I'm thinking that it's not really worth keeping them as they were causing problems. Correct?
If the laces are simply stretched, but otherwise in good condition, no harm in keeping them as a secondary backup in your kit bag.  Your primary backup should be a brand new pair though.  On rare instance, I've carelessly destroyed a new lace right away by snagging it across sharp toepicks. In which case, a secondary backup stretched lace is better than no lace.  Also, could be useful to a fellow skater in dire need (assuming they're long enough for the other skater); amazing how many skaters don't have a spare in their kit.

I would not wash them though.  It might weaken some materials, and some laces are treated with a coating, which washing might remove.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »
If they're worn and won't stay tied properly, just replace the laces.  In fact, buy two pair when you go to the store and make a note of the length you bought.

Creative re-uses:

. Tie up plants in the garden;
. Bundle branches or newspaper for trash/recycling;
. Wash/bleach, then use as gift wrap ribbon;
. Tie around boxes to keep them closed while in storage;
. Macrame a plant holder - string beads along the length to make it even more interesting;
. Wash/bleach, then use as a border for a scrapbook or a photo frame;
. Donate to a marching band camp - they use them to carry their "Dot Books."
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »
I still have a spare pair but need to stock up as they don't seem to last all that long.

I've just evicted a couple of used pairs from my bag so will definitely think of ways to recycle them.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 03:45:43 AM »
Throw them out.  The effort to put them back on is more than they are worth, unless nearly new.
She's keeping in case of emergency.  In that case, I'd say keep them "just in case."  Avoid a Tonya Harding Lillehammer situation at a competition, for example.

But otherwise, I agree with you.  Lol.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »
You can certainly wash them!  They will still do in a pinch -

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »
Washing them is a mixed bag: if the lace gets wet underneath the aglets, the aglets come undone.  It's really difficult to thread the lace through the eyelets without the aglet.  Tip: Fill a jar with soap, water and a drop of non-chlorine bleach.  Put the laces inside, but leave the tips hanging out, then put on the jar lid and shake.  It'll get them adequately clean, but they'll never look like new.

If you're saving them for a competition/test emergency, know that the time limit at an event isn't long enough to replace an entire lace. (3 mins, with a 2-point penalty)  The skater usually just unties, pulls down some slack and then ties the broken pieces together in a knot before lacing up again.

Forget Tonya's tears - Nobunari Oda nailed the broken-lace fix like a NASCAR pit crew during his 2010 Olympics long program.
https://youtu.be/CjQBh3MAaFU?t=1019
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
When I used to show horses, I always replaced my stirrup leathers at the beginning of the season. I think if I was competing and skating a lot, I'd replace my laces once a year anyway. As it is, I don't skate hard enough to wear my laces out, and I've never replaced a pair (although my skate tech and I both check them regularly).

As to what I'd do with them? Put them on my tennis/walking shoes and just shorten them. I'd never save them for an emergency. Is it worth the ten dollars?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »
It might be worth keeping for an emergency because new laces don't feel the same. I remember reading the Nancy Kerrigan book that you should have a pair of slightly broken in laces in your bag for competition time