You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Are my rockers too flat?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline AspenonIce

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
Are my rockers too flat?
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »
I don't know enough about blades to figure out if my rockers are flatter than they should be. I'm suspicious of the first sharpening back in January as one skate had crooked edges afterward, which doesn't inspire confidence.

Let me know if you need different angles.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Goal 1: Have skates that don't cause me pain

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Are my rockers too flat?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »
Looks flat to me, but those are recreational blades, so they may have started out with a flat rocker from the factory. 

ETA: Found the blade on Riedell's site tied to the soft rec boot - https://ice.riedellskates.com/products/boots/18-sparkle#.WYCy5IWcF9A  I don't think your rocker was damaged.

The Spiral is a recreational skating blade, intended for beginners who just go in circles, stopping and starting.  It's not intended for figure skating, which is why it's a very flat blade (for stability) with a decorative toe pick (very small, up high to prevent tripping.)

If you're an adult, go back to the sharpener and ask them to put a 1/2" radius of hollow on the blades, so you get some grip.  Most sharpeners won't even try to adjust the rocker these days - too many things can go wrong.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AspenonIce

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Are my rockers too flat?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »
Looks flat to me, but those are recreational blades, so they may have started out with a flat rocker from the factory. 

ETA: Found the blade on Riedell's site tied to the soft rec boot - https://ice.riedellskates.com/products/boots/18-sparkle#.WYCy5IWcF9A  I don't think your rocker was damaged.

The Spiral is a recreational skating blade, intended for beginners who just go in circles, stopping and starting.  It's not intended for figure skating, which is why it's a very flat blade (for stability) with a decorative toe pick (very small, up high to prevent tripping.)

If you're an adult, go back to the sharpener and ask them to put a 1/2" radius of hollow on the blades, so you get some grip.  Most sharpeners won't even try to adjust the rocker these days - too many things can go wrong.
Thank you! I figured as much. I've been having touble trying to spin, while my friend (who has better skates) has no issues, and figured it was either too low level blades or the rocker got shaved off during the first sharpening.

I'll just have to hold on until christmas  :(

I will keep the hollow recommendation in mind for next time I get them sharpened. Sadly, they were just done on friday so it'll be a while.

Quick question, would it be a bad idea to try any jumps with these? I'm in basic 5, but can do half of the basic 6 skills already, so the bunny hop will come up soon and don't want to injure myself.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Goal 1: Have skates that don't cause me pain