You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Vik-max skates: heard of them?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Vik-max skates: heard of them?
« on: July 31, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
A friend who is new to skating (but very interested) is shopping for her first pair. Since we live outside the US, her options are limited. She's also working with a tight budget.

She's looking at:
1. Riedell 112 White Ribbon, second hand
2. Brand-new Vik-max recreational skates, specifically, this one: http://www.vik-max.com/project/post/83810/

Both are priced roughly the same and both are made in China. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Vik-max skates: heard of them?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
From the photos of the Vik-max on the site you posted, the blades are attached via rivets on both the sole plate and the heel plate.  The Riedell 112 is no longer a current model, but I found listings with photos on eBay.  The blade mount is weird:  rivets on the sole plate and screws on the heel plate.  I think your friend should save up a bit more and buy an outfit in which the blades are mounted with screws on both the sole plate and the heel plate.  That way, the blade mount can be readily adjusted; otherwise, she's stuck if the mount is not right for her [in principle, rivets can be removed, holes plugged, and screws inserted (if the sole is sufficiently thick); but the cost would not be justified for such low-end boots].  Also, buying used skates in general is iffy, unless you can inspect them and try them on in person and know what you're doing.

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
If money is tight I would recommend the used Riedells rather than an off brand pair.

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
She can try the Riedell on since she's going to meet with the seller. But if both fit, we were wondering which is the better pair to buy, considering that both are made in China anyway.

We also found a used Riedell Royal. Will be creating a separate thread for that. Thanks a lot!

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
I have never heard of Vik-max and there's nothing about them on the internet - I'm not sure it would be a good idea to buy them.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »
Never heard of them - they're very pretty, so they were probably intended to jump on the Yuri bandwagon.  They look very soft to me, which means no ankle support. The toe rake is teeny-tiny and set waaaay up high, so basically just for show, not for use in jumps or pivots. 

Probably pond skates, good for going around in circles but not for figure skating.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »
Those Vik-max skates look almost exactly like something they sell at the local sporting goods store.  Some of the kids show up in those for group lessons.  They're definitely for the skating on the pond/ public session crowd.

What level is your friend at?  Is this her first time taking group lessons?  I'm guessing yes, otherwise she'd have some idea of what she needed.  I'm assuming the riedells are at the same level.  This would probably be better than any rental skates, and might get her through gamma (or whatever they're calling the levels these days....I did ISIA), but she'll break them down pretty fast, I expect, and will want to upgrade.

At best they might give her an idea of whether she likes skating enough to commit to better skates.  I know the issues you have getting boots, so I would say if it's this or rentals than get this.  But if she already knows she wants to skate, it might be worth getting a better pair of boots.  I had royals back in the mid-80's, which were then their  upper-mid-range boot, if I recall (there was one model stiffer), so I can't comment on whatever the Royal has morphed into today.

Good luck!!!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »
For the skaters here, I took a peek at the Vix-max blades and not onely are the toe picks high (thanks Figurespins) -- THERE"S NO DROP PICK.  If they're that soft, they could be Patch skates!

A tiny drop pick will make it easier for a beginner to stop going forward. The rink rental skates will have the toepicks lower so they use the toepick to cover where the drop pick is on figure skates.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 12:11:45 AM »
If they're that soft, they could be Patch skates!

"Patch" means school figures, right? Why are soft skates better for Patch?

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »
A tiny drop pick will make it easier for a beginner to stop going forward. The rink rental skates will have the toepicks lower so they use the toepick to cover where the drop pick is on figure skates.
I thought that instructors/coaches discourage beginners from using picks to stop:  best not to acquire the habit in the first place, because it'll be hard to break later.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 04:44:37 PM »
I thought that instructors/coaches discourage beginners from using picks to stop:  best not to acquire the habit in the first place, because it'll be hard to break later.

Yes they do. But that's not the case for rental skates for ice tourists. That miniscule toepick keeps people from rolling over the front of their blades more than they to already.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/