You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Do you have a club jacket?

Yes, I have a club jacket... and wear it.
7 (26.9%)
Yes, I gave a club jacket and it's sad and lonely somewhere.
1 (3.8%)
No, I have a USFSA jacket instead.
1 (3.8%)
I have both a club jacket and a USFSA jacket.
2 (7.7%)
Nah/not my thing/haven't bothered/holy moly they're pricey
15 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Club jackets  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Club jackets
« on: July 11, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
Changed clubs this season. Debating if I want a jacket. I know folks that live in theirs, and folks that wouldn't touch them. (And for those of us on the fluffier side, they may not even be an option if the club goes with lululemon or limits adult sizing.) I'm curious as to what everyone is is doing.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Club jackets
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
Our club doesn't have jackets, but our synchro teams each have polar fleeces.  My team's is a simply lovely putty color, with the team logo, embroidered in flaming red on the back.  Of course our names and the club are also embroidered in the same wonderful shade of red on the front.  I remember the first time I saw them, years before I went back to skating.  "Fugly" is euphemistic.  I have NO idea who came up with the color combo on these; it has nothing to do with the club, there are no colors.   BUT, it is thick and warm, and I do live in it.  I have no fear of it getting stolen. If you like it, and there is one that fits you, and you think you'll wear it, go for it!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:23:38 AM »
The only club jacket I have is my Daytona Beach Figure Skating Club jacket from when I was a kid. Before they did the fitted jacket, so it's this puffy windbreaker thing.

I have considered getting the club jacket for my current club but realized I would rather save the money and wait to pass Adult Gold MITF and just shell out for the Gold Medalist jacket. :)

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »
I wanted to get a club jacket, but the cost of one is more than half of a 10-session freestyle punch card. I decided that I'd rather spend the money on ice time. They're nice jackets; I like the design. But when I have a limited skating budget, the money will always go to the necessities first. My $15 fleece jacket from Target works just fine.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
Our Club uses Personaliteez.com for apparel.  Another club on their site had a ladies fitted vest, so one of our moms asked if they could put our logo on that item and they said yes.  I liked her vest, so I ordered my own.  It was a little pricey, but I like the vest and I wear it a lot, especially for club events or when I coach at other rinks.  I wear a turtleneck or long-sleeve shirt underneath, so it's a nice, lightweight option for warmer seasons.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
Mmmm....I wasn't sure how to vote. 

I did buy a club jacket.  It had our club logo on the back and my name embroidered on the front.  I had tried on a friend's jacket before ordering and loved it.  But, we weren't able to get the exact same style so when mine arrived it was a heavier version and I rarely wore it.

I had purchased a club jacket for my daughter as a Christmas gift about a year before I purchased mine.  She wore it all the time.  Not just to the rink but generally.  Then, she lost it at the rink.  It was never turned in and never found. 

Instead of ordering a new jacket for her, I took mine to the embroidery shop and they took my name off and put her name on. 

Our club just discussed ordering jackets last night and it's interesting to me what people look for or think it important.  Some of the girls hate pockets and others love them.  Thumbholes here a big plus and I didn't like those at all. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »
Instead of ordering a new jacket for her, I took mine to the embroidery shop and they took my name off and put her name on. 

That's a great idea!  I know they can't do that on nylon jackets - they recommended an embroidered patch over the old name, using matching fabric.

Didn't realize they could remove the stitching from fleece and embroider over it - that's awesome!  Thanks!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »
Our club just discussed ordering jackets last night and it's interesting to me what people look for or think it important.  Some of the girls hate pockets and others love them.  Thumbholes here a big plus and I didn't like those at all.

I don't get thumbholes. My arms are short, so it tends not to look right... plus I have a totally irrational fear of having a fall, and having the fabric jerk my thumb or wrist into a weird angle and cause injury.

I love pockets. I have a fleece with internal and external pockets, and one with zippered external pockets. Lands End and LL Bean are my friends.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
I have one but only wear it for competitions and exhibitions. I wear it for practice occasionally in the summer but have heavier fleece jackets for most of the year.  It's a nice jacket but for normal skating, I like to have pockets and this jacket doesn't have any.

Offline dkd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
Our club has the Eyce brand jackets from Jammin: https://www.eycewear.com/collections/4-way-stretch/products/stretch-x-ladies-jacket

I wear mine in the winter under a fleece jacket. The neck looks really weird and actually came messed up, which is disappointing. It's hard to get shirt sleeves correctly in there since it's so tight. I'm actually not super proud of my club in the first place, but I do wear it. It's my competition jacket. Not warm enough for tests.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
I did buy a club jacket and for awhile I wore it quite a lot.  I got it the year I went to Adult Nationals.  But since then it's sat in the closet, both because I switched clubs and also because it shrunk really weird.  It's one of the standard Mondor Jackets that a lot of clubs have and I've found that after a few washes it's shrunk to a weird length and hits me at a weird place at the waist.  The good thing about these jackets is that there's tons of sizes.  I have a medium in the adult women's sizes and I'm not skinny so I'm guessing the large or xl would fit a lot of women worried about sizing.  There's also men's sizes if you want something less fitted which I honestly wish I'd gone with for length.

The club I skate at now has both mondor and Chloe jackets.  Both are nice but I haven't bought one as of yet.

One thing I'd say is that if I bought one again I'd ask not to have my name put on it.  It feels very juvenile to walk around with a jacket with your name on it :P

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
I think they are a great idea, if you can afford them, for kids who want to fit in with the other skaters in their club. And a great idea for skating moms who want to show off that they have a skating child.

Since I (volunteer) teach at a rink in DC, and the extras of their jacket was on sale a few years ago, for $20, I bought one. Deep intense blue, polyester pile, washable, useful pockets, and well made. I have often worn it while teaching. But I would feel out of place using it in another rink.

Maybe Olympic team gear http://www.teamusashop.com/source/bm-teamusaorg-WEB-MAIN-Navigation would be cool - but to some extent would look silly if you aren't a really good skater. USFSA gear http://www.shopusfigureskating.com might be cool too, but similar comments apply.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
I am soaked with sweat.  Why would I want a jacket?

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
Our club sells jackets as a fundraiser so a few years ago I planned to get one, and went along to the ordering session run by an external company. They didn't bring any adult sized jackets along for people to try on but said they would contact me with details afterwards, but they didn't so I don't have a jacket  :(  The jackets they were selling weren't a skating brand and they had two styles - one was a lightweight tight fitting one which I think had pockets whilst the other was a really heavy windbreaker style which I couldn't imagine skating in.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:39:39 PM »
The Synchro team has jackets, and the young competitive kids have jackets (I guess they wear them to comp?). Outside of synchro I've only seen a few.

The adults get their Gold Skater jackets. I don't think I've seen an adult with a club jacket (although I don't skate on freestyle, but I think I know 90% of the adults at the rink, and I've never seen one).

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline lillian641

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 04:02:26 AM »
We order ours from a local company that does screen printing & I really like mine. Our club uses them for our spring ice show, all of the club skaters above basic 2 wear them for the opening number, the beginners get a sweatshirt w/the theme for that show on it & it is included w/their skating fees (the beginner sweatshirt, not the club jacket) When I was younger we all had navy sweat shirts, not jackets. But you could purchase your own sweatshirt & have it embroidered. One year the shop didn't have any in my size & couldn't get one in to have it before the show, so my dad went to the second hand store in town & checked to see if they'd have one in my size & he found the perfect shirt, it had the Olympic logo small in matching navy blue on it & I though it was amazing w/the Club & Olympic logos on it. I still have it & it's still fun to wear. Dad to the rescue, he got it & got back to the embroidery shop before they closed & I had it when everyone else got theirs.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 03:04:51 PM »
Our club gives us competitor jackets free of charge if we register for a qualifying event (Championship Silver, Championship Gold, etc.) at our adult sectionals competition.  I wear it with pride.

Offline Jeté

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Jumping is nice!
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
My club doesn’t have club jackets. Only those who do competitions/synchro/ice dance get them for free. Otherwise, they’re too pricey.

Offline Arwen17

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 889
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 10:44:21 PM »
Our club has jackets and they are very pricey. But literally EVERYONE wears them. If you're not wearing the club jacket or the ice theatre jacket, you must be a brand-new person lol.
The club jacket may be pricey, but I've fallen in love with it. It's super-warm and high quality! My goal this year is to get the ice theatre jacket because it's prettier, but it may actually not be as warm as the club jacket.
Nobody gets any of the jackets for free. Everyone has to pay. But I think it's worth it since we wear our super-warm jackets literally every day.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 09:16:35 PM »
I'd get one if I could get a color other than black.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)