You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What is your Club's Policy on Withdrawing from Test Sessions?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
@skatingforums.com 

We have a "no refunds or credits" policy, which has been in place as long as I've been here, but we've had a lot of people questioning it this year.  I think it's because so many of the synchro skaters had to test up in a short time frame to remain on/move up with their teammates.  (Judges have been vocal about skaters not being ready to test more often as well.)

I checked the three nearest clubs and one has some allowance for injury only, and the other two have don't have a published policy. 

In cybersnooping, I've found that there are a variety of options.

What is your Club's Policy on Withdrawing from Test Sessions?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: What is your Club's Policy on Withdrawing from Test Sessions?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
If you are a member in good standing and don't have a history of withdrawing from tests at the last minute/have a good reason (illness/injury), our test chair will move your test to the next session and no extra fees. If you withdraw before the schedule is out, she is likely to refund, especially if she can now bump someone from the waiting list into the session. Coach pulls a test at the last minute? Depends on how full the session is/etc.

None of this is an official policy, it's more on a case by case basis.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »
I've only withdrawn once and I didn't do it. The test chair did it after hearing that I was in the ICU and gave me a full refund.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:05:42 PM »

Generally we don't get out money back. I'm not saying they wouldn't if an ICU was involved, but I've never even heard of anyone asking for their money back. I think it's on the application somewhere (no returns before Date xxx)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 205
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »
Here's the exact wording from my club's test application: "[CLUB] regrets that we cannot provide refunds for test fees, except in the case of illnesses or injuries which are documented by a doctor’s note. If a skater withdraws they must withdraw from the entire test session to receive a refund. No partial refunds will be given."

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
Ours is generally no refunds unless in the case of serious injury that would prevent you from testing. I think if you're in good standing and something comes up beyond your control (I occasionally have to travel last minute for work) they would transfer your test to the next test session.

But the overarching rule is no refunds since they don't want a bunch of kids signing up and then withdrawing at the last minute because they aren't ready.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
We have a pull date and you can pull your name up until that date and not be charged for the test.  After that date, you will be charged as if you were there.  So many just choose to take their test and take their chances unless there is a scheduling conflict.  I skate in an area where there are many demands on ice time and as such it can be expensive and also hard to book.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »
My club's test registration form clearly states that there will be no refunds after the schedule is posted.  Our forms also spell out a $25.00 late filing fee as well.

Offline ARoo

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:20:24 PM »
Registration states no refunds for any reason. There are costs associated with test sessions and those are determined by the number of skaters, in advance of the test. If someone were seriously injured and asked for a refund or credit, it may be granted, but the official policy doesn't allow for it.

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:41 PM »
I know my local skating clubs all have written policies on withdrawals from competitions, but none of the clubs I've tested at seem to have a written policy on withdrawing from a test session.

IMO, it would be really hard to have an open policy on this. You guys are volunteers, and it's hard enough to schedule the test session and deal with trying to get judges and etc., never mind having to handle reimbursing skaters who simply choose not to show up. In addition, you've already bought the ice, obtained the judges for a certain number and level of skaters. So having the ability to have skaters withdraw once all that is done can really impact your club's finances and perhaps reputation. If you did this, you'd probably need a written policy, as you noted, and to have a hard deadline date after which refunds can't be made or, if you choose not to allow refunds, after which the skater's test can't be moved to the next test session.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
I wonder if the test policy isn't part of the Entryeeze registration process for the clubs that don't have it posted.

I've figured out that I can put a credit in the EE shopping cart, but it can only be used for a particular purpose: membership renewal, merchandise or contract ice.
Do the test chairs start a new EE test session and move the skater/test to that new session?  That would handle the "reschedule test by (date) or forfeit the fee" rule, I think.

Once the schedule is published, we pay the rink for the ice rental, so rescheduling will actually cost us more since we'd have to pay for that ice on the new session.
To that end, a partial credit for the first test might be feasible, but if the skater wants to test a more-expensive level on that next session, someone has to be the debt collector.

It's so confusing.  No wonder most clubs have a "sorry, no refunds or credit" policy.

Anyone else?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
The clubs I looked at don't use EntryEez for test sessions. Some do use it for competitions.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 01:06:08 AM »
No refunds. Also, if you are signed up to take a test contingent on passing another test in that session (such as taking a FS contingent on passing MIF) no refunds or credits if you don't pass the first test. They used to give a credit for the contingent test if you didn't get to take it,

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
My club's policy is the same as Meli's club policy.  We had to sacrifice leniency for contingency tests when our rink dramatically increased the cost of ice.