You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: US Figure Skating Governing Council 2017  (Read 4333 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
US Figure Skating Governing Council 2017
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
The Governing Council documents are supposed to be posted today or tomorrow for the 2017 GC Meeting.

I logged into the USFSA Members Only site and see that there are only placeholder documents online right now, but I'm curious about this document:

"Test Refresh Rationale and Overview"

Such an enticing title -- let's guess the meaning!  All guesses get +4 GOE if posted before the document reaches the web!

Ready?  Go!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
Re: US Figure Skating Governing Council 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
My guess is that, having successfully revised the Moves structure in 2010 to make it stronger in relation to other countries' programs -and- having revamped their LTS curricula, US Figure Skating is going to revise their Freestyle test structure. 

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »
I hope you are right!  It is time for the freestyle test re-vamp!!!

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
My guess is that, having successfully revised the Moves structure in 2010 to make it stronger in relation to other countries' programs -and- having revamped their LTS curricula, US Figure Skating is going to revise their Freestyle test structure.

That sounds logical.

Mine is less likely: they'll rework the adult test system so that, if you're over age, say... 45... and you had tested up to a certain level as a kid, you can now retest so that you can, effectively, skate down a level or two, based on the fact that you can no longer jump like you did when you were a young'un.

Or they'll rework the adult moves tests to make them the same (in terms of elements done at a level) as the standard tests. That's more likely.

Or they'll add a pre-silver test level to the adult FS tests.

Or...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »
The focus on Adults occurred to me, but I would expect it to come from the Adult Committee as a proposal in their report, rather than such a visible, separate document.

(The ISI does offer skaters the ability to "step down" in levels for competitions.  There's an affadivit you send to ISI HQ.  To move up, you have to re-test all the higher levels.)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »
I'd like to see the Adult LTS levels merged with the Basic Skills levels.  They're nearly identical now anyways after last year's revisions.  But this sounds like it's at a higher level than that.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 09:41:34 AM »
I switched my Wednesday Adult group over to the Basic track because it was more challenging for them and they're interested in Freestyle, so why bother with the adult track only to find them unprepared for Pre-Freeskate?

Offline Backtotheice

• Total GOE: 22
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
I think adding a Pre-Silver Adult FS level would be great. The Silver FS events seem so crowded at Sectionals and Nationals.

Offline Backtotheice

• Total GOE: 22
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »
I see the meeting pdf's are up. No pre-Silver in the works this year.  :-\ 

Of note that I saw:

LOTS of changes to the Standard Free Skate tests! Basically you can use your competitive free skate program as your test program. For example, the Pre-Pre FS allows for an axel, but only a waltz jump is necessary. This is going to be interesting.

Testing will have Pass, Passing with Honors, and Passing with Distinction.

They are taking the Spiral Sequence out of Adult Silver and Adult Bronze Singles requirements, but adding it as an option to do in a Step Sequence. I guess this aligns more with IJS. It seems a large focus of the changes this year are to align with IJS.

" we hope to judge nonqualifying adult silver events with IJS in the future as part of the larger efforts underway within the organization."

There are other changes for dance and pairs but I'm not familiar enough with those to comment.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
Well I love what I see so far - this is really going to change test-judging!!!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
At the risk of sounding dumb, when do the changes go into effect? I'm testing Adult Silver (and pre-juv because testing standard track is my focus but my coach is of the "you're already doing the moves, let's do this, too, so it's on your skating resume" mindset) in early June, so if they're nixing the spirals, well I'd be happy haha. I already tested and passed them in Preliminary.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
They are taking the Spiral Sequence out of Adult Silver and Adult Bronze Singles requirements, but adding it as an option to do in a Step Sequence.

Which document is that in? 

They're proposing that Moves tests can have background music playing. It's optional and the judge-in-charge can have it turned off.  (Skaters can request silence as well.)
I'm okay with that since most skaters practice Moves during freestyles that have music playing anyway.

Test registration fees are going up from $4 to $6.  They estimate a $110k increase in revenue.  Wow.

For those tuning in late, if you are a current USFSA member, you can go to www.usfsa.org and log into the Members Only portal.  The 2017 GC documents are under General Info/Governing Council.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »
At the risk of sounding dumb, when do the changes go into effect? I'm testing Adult Silver (and pre-juv because testing standard track is my focus but my coach is of the "you're already doing the moves, let's do this, too, so it's on your skating resume" mindset) in early June, so if they're nixing the spirals, well I'd be happy haha. I already tested and passed them in Preliminary.

I haven't read this part yet but I think the spiral sequence is not the same as the spirals on the Silver Test - the spiral sequence is in the FS test or competitive program rules?

Different parts of the changes go into effect on different dates - hard to get through all of it that is for sure!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »

The moves aren't changing. The spiral that is being talked about is the option to do either a Step Sequence OR a Spiral Sequence for Bronze and Silver well balanced freeskate programs. It is being changed to be a Choreographic Sequence (that can include spirals) to match what is required for Gold and up and a needed change to head towards IJS for all levels.

Offline RoaringSkates

• Total GOE: 7
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
Maybe having music playing during the MITF tests can cover up my scratchy toepicks during the Power 3's...