You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-Ice Training advice.  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Off-Ice Training advice.
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
So, getting back into it as an adult. I know I have to get in good shape/form for skating. Is there any recommended activites (beyond skating. Obviously.), Exercises or nutritional tips you guys would be willing to offer? I'm really trying to gather as much information beforehand as I can so that I can enjoy this hobby to the fullest.

Thanks,

Sam
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Off-Ice Training advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »
Actually GO SKATE!  Stop fluffing around getting all your ducks in a row, and just hit up some public sessions regularly.   Don't worry about lessons too much, you need time on skates.

The best exercise for skating is .... skating ...

Find some public sessions, and just skate.  LOTS.   Eventually it'll became clear which specific muscles you're particularly weak on,  but for now you're probably weak on ALL of them.   Though hamstrings and glutes will be the most useful ones to build up first.

Nutritional tips:  You state somewhere else that you suffer from anxiety.  You may be short in magnesium (and lots of people are).   Magnesium deficiency makes a feeling like living in a war zone.   If you skate lots, you may need more iron too, as exercise rapidly turns over red blood cells.   And lots of protein.   Can't build muscles without protein.    Zinc too maybe (foot ezcema is a dead giveaway for a deficiency).

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
@riley876

I am as often as I can currently. There aren't the most available sessions here in town though I am looking into other towns public skating days as well. Hopefully I can source some nearby.

I just like lining everything up beforehand. Getting my foot in the door for the club has been...difficult. Police background checks, old Skate #s etc. etc.

I will make sure to get lots of skating in then :) I really appreciate the advice.

Anxiety, yes. That sounds exactly how I feel when it gets to me. I'll certainly look into it. I never actually knew that. Iron I'm sure I'm good for and protein can be easily sorted. Thanks for the advice ^_^

Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:23:10 AM »
Off ice is a great idea.  I use the Sk8strong videos and like them. Lauren the owner, who's on here, is very nice and will be able to direct you as to which series is most appropriate for you, but I have the manual as well, which is very useful.  If doing things solo at home isn't your schtick, why don't you see if your rink does any kind of off ice physical training.  Or if you can afford it, talk to a trainer at a gym?  They'll be able to tailor something to you and your needs directly. 

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 05:39:24 AM »
@Loops

What's the account name for the owner of the videos?

I'm in talks with a PT at the moment though I didn't think to ask at the arena. I shall! Thanks for the advice ^_^

My Blog

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »
My coach is really big on stretching.  I alternate between stretches she has shown me and a yoga app on my phone. 

I've felt the best in terms of power when I've also done running.  But, I don't like running so I don't tend to do it as much as I perhaps should.... I do walk briskly several days each week with a friend. 

I'm trying to incorporate some weights for shoulder/back strength. 

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »
@Mamabear

I imagine my gymnastics background will help significantly then. Flexibility and stretching are my bread and butter ^_^

Running I could try, although I find it kind of...boring. I do walk every night with my fiancee though.

Machine or otherwise?

My Blog

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 05:34:21 AM »
I have found doing yoga to be extremely helpful in strethening all the little balancing muscles as well as my quads and abs. I use the Yoga Studio app and it's great.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 07:05:01 AM »
@Loops

What's the account name for the owner of the videos?

I'm in talks with a PT at the moment though I didn't think to ask at the arena. I shall! Thanks for the advice ^_^

I can't for the life of me remember her handle, but she may pop up here on her own.  Her website is http://www.sk8strong.com/home.html

And Yes for the hated/dreaded running.  I had to stop for the autumn (wonky knee) and have noticed the decline on ice as well as other places.  Hard to get motivated to restart in the middle of wet winter though.....

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys ^_^ She actually did message me! I've already got a lovely yoga routine I do each week so it's good that it will help ^_^

My Blog