You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rumor Regarding Return of School Figures?  (Read 5317 times)

Offline OldGuyDown

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
Rumor Regarding Return of School Figures?
« on: June 20, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »
Anyone hear anything?

I'd be interested because it's low impact and something that might be cool for old folks to do.
Hess FSC Western Pa.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Rumor Regarding Return of School Figures?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »
Anyone hear anything?

I'd be interested because it's low impact and something that might be cool for old folks to do.

I agree.

I haven't heard anything. I think it's unlikely. However, you can still test and compete, just not under IJS. ISI and USFS both test figures. 
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
The World Figure Skating organization is very active, hosting clinics and competitions.  http://worldfigurechampionship.com/index.html
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
Do you mean back into the main ISU competitions? Very unlikely.

However, I know a lot of people still practice them and there are figure specific competitions.

I'm terrible at them so not for me but lots of people like them.

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
There's been no talk about having them be a part of regular skating competitions again. There is the ability to test the figures under USFS, and there are also figure competitions. I think the ability to test figures as an adult is the new bit? But I don't remember.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 12:33:38 PM »
There's been no talk about having them be a part of regular skating competitions again. There is the ability to test the figures under USFS, and there are also figure competitions. I think the ability to test figures as an adult is the new bit? But I don't remember.

There has been the adult structure for figures in place for as long as I can remember - "the new bit" is that for the higher levels of testing you can take your test with only one high-level judge - this way the lack of judges is not as big of an impediment to having your figures tests judged.

Lots of rinks are now offering "figures classes" - kind of like a patch session where one or two coaches go around and help everyone learn and do figures and these classes are attended by young skaters and interested adults - I think this is great!

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »
If you are new to skating, I assume you know that all skating involves a fair number of falls. You can learn to make most of them gentle, and you can wear padding and protection, but there will always be some falls and some level of danger. Also, figure skating can be expensive.

See also this thread:
  http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=3983.0;topicseen

Really old figures, which could be extremely elaborate, before the more recent "school figures" were in very old books - e.g.,
  http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=6960.msg83038#msg83038

You might also look into low level Ice Dance (e.g., Pattern Dance). Though it can be extremely hard to find and coordinate time and coaching with a Dance partner, even for a guy. If you aren't married to a potential partner, Solo ice dance, or dancing with a paid coach, might be more practical.

You might also look into low level Synchro and Ice Theater groups. If there are figure skating clubs in your area, ask around for info. (BTW, other good skaters and coaches might also know about local School Figures classes.) Do expect there to be try-outs and auditions. From what I have seen, as with many forms of choreographed dance, most of your time in group rehearsals will be waiting around while coaches figure out what you and others should do, or while they rehearse other sub-groups. Also, most of these groups revise their choreography several times per practice session, so you need extremely good memory. If someone doesn't show up, they typically revise their choreography, orally without practice, on the day of a performance or competition. Most Synchro and Ice Theater groups are very expensive to join, because of the costs involved in joining clubs, fees to ISI or USFSA (I assume you are in the U.S. :)), coaching fees, ice rental, costumes, competition fees, and travel. But some rinks and ISI clubs run Adult (or mostly adult) Synchro groups that are less serious, less expensive, and that only compete or perform at a local level.

Most Synchro groups are all-female. Costumes, make-up and choreography can get interesting for a guy who wants to join. There might be some resentment, and a feeling that they shouldn't have to adapt to having a guy.

It isn't skating, but, at the lower levels, ballroom dance, various forms of social and country dance, swing dance, Salsa, country line dance, etc., can also be low impact, are less expensive, and can be more social, as long as you stay away from the competition crowd. For the most part, figure skaters tend to take a more serious view, and rarely socialize, at least in my experience.

Of course, as with all things, local customs differ. My experience is based on the D.C. area, which has a lot of type-A competitive people.

Anyway, good luck, and take care.

Offline OldGuyDown

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
Update...

School figures & testing have officially returned to my area.
There are 2 tracks

Adult, which is Preliminary, bronze, silver & gold.

Regular which is Preliminary & tests #1 through #8

I just got a pair of Comet test blades ground to 3/4"
These things are FAST but very different than my pattern 99 style 7/16" grind blades.

It's also helpful if you have a scribe with a black marker attached to the end.
Anyway...I just wanted to let you folks know that it may be available in your area also.
Hess FSC Western Pa.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up.

If there were something like that around here, I'd be very interested.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Bill Schneider

Offline eonice

• Wannabe
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 14
  • Int MIF ✔️Dec 2018
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 08:07:28 PM »
Anyone hear anything?

I'm not old but I would definitely like to take it up to supplement my existing training.
"If you ever doubt your ability to reach a higher level of skating remember that nobody—not even yourself—knows the absolute maximum of your potential. So for all intents and purposes, train like you have no limits." -Oleg Altukhov

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 09:09:40 AM »
I'm not old but I would definitely like to take it up to supplement my existing training.

I know of a couple of coaches in our area who would be willing to do lessons; let me know if you want info.  It's hard to find patch sessions (Codey dropped theirs; I heard there might be one at Mennen?) but some of the daytime public sessions are light enough that you could probably make it work.