You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Isi PSA merging  (Read 6674 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Isi PSA merging
« on: June 01, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »
This just in: isi and PSA merging over next 18 months.  More to come. Press release to come out today.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
Re: Isi PSA merging
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »
Jimmy Santee just challenged Scott Hamilton to compete at next year's US Pro Open in Nashville.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Lts USA replaces Isi we skate

So ISI's basic skills sequence will be completely replaced by USFS?  Interesting...

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
This just in: isi and PSA merging over next 18 months.  More to come. Press release to come out today.

Not surprised.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:46:30 PM »
More deets from Sin City: merger will take 18 mos-2 years.  Next season will run as planned, new Isi handbook about to be released on iOS and android platforms.     Plans include combining resources (in,lieu of competing trade shows and conferences) and education.  Looks like coaches will only need one registration after 2016-2017 but hasn't been worked out yet.

Us figure skating is in the loop and supports the efforts of the two organizations.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:49:22 PM »
So ISI's basic skills sequence will be completely replaced by USFS?  Interesting...

Sorry, wrote my comment too quickly and didn't read before clicking post.

Replacement hasn't been stated yet, which is good considering they just revamped all their systems.  Looks like the Isi structure will continue for competitions and testing.  There was some remark about LTSUSA being the single go-to place for finding LTS programs, though.  I guess negotiations and plans are still up in the air.

The Isi and PSA are going to launch an info site to communicate info in addition to emails. 
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:23:01 AM »
ISI, PSA MERGER STRENGTHENS SERVICE TO ICE SPORTS INDUSTRY
Historic organizations align efforts with eye toward future

LAS VEGAS, June 1, 2016 -- After years of working collaboratively to best serve the ice sports industry, the Ice Skating Institute (ISI) and the Professional Skaters Association (PSA) will move to consolidate operations to strengthen and unify national industry programs and services.

The announcement was made jointly at the ISI/PSA Conferences & Trade Show in Las Vegas.

“Our commitment to both memberships remains strong,” ISI President Robert McBride said. “This merger preserves the mission and founding principles of both ISI and PSA as we seek new and more effective ways to deliver critical services to our constituencies.”

“The merger of these two outstanding associations is a benefit to not only PSA and ISI members, but the ice sports industry as well,” PSA President-elect Christine Fowler-Binder said. “Together, we will more effectively provide the critical leadership and programs of both organizations in a manner that will best serve the ice sports industry in the future.”

In a move to standardize many ice sports industry services, PSA and ISI leaders have discussed the possibility of their merger with U.S. Figure Skating, the national governing body of the sport in the United States, to ensure there would be no duplication of programs or services.  All three organizations have pledged to work together to achieve this goal.

As one example, the PSA and ISI will work with U.S. Figure Skating to collectively support a single introductory skating program – Learn To Skate USA.

Endorsed by U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey, U.S. Speedskating, Learn To Skate USA will eliminate confusion for parents and skaters, allow more effective training for coaches and programmers and provide greater marketing opportunities to grow and retain members.

Over the next 18 months, ISI and PSA will consolidate programs and services such as coaches’ education, publications, conferences, seminars, memberships, advocacy and marketing to more effectively deliver programs at reduced costs to participants, coaches, programmers and arena management.

The process of melding these two historic organizations begins immediately and will be completed over a 1 to 2 year period.

Founded in 1959, Ice Skating Institute is a U.S. trade association for ice arena owners, operators and programmers that also represents recreational ice skaters.

Founded in 1938, the Professional Skaters Association is the world’s largest figure skating coaches association
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 07:39:32 PM »
Please dear God, make ISI insist that there doesn't need to be an Adult Program and that we can all learn on the same program as the kids.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 07:49:29 PM »
Please dear God, make ISI insist that there doesn't need to be an Adult Program and that we can all learn on the same program as the kids.

With the revised BS 1-6 and Adult 1-6, there's already next to no difference between them; most of the "hard for adults" skills are listed as bonus (optional) skills in the BS 1-6 curriculum anyways, so a nervous adult (or kid!) could skip them.  The skills in Adult 1-6 that target dance are in the Dance curriculum and I think the others are in Pre-Bronze.  So yeah, ditch it.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
Wow. This is a huge announcement.

If the teaching programs merge, it is too bad the ISI program, and their "Skaters' and Coach's Manual" [sp?] has been so much better than the USFSA program, and so clearer than the USFSA rule book. Much better learning sequence (IMO), much better explanations. It would have been better to let the ISI take over everything. :)

I wonder if a merger with the PSA would mean that the ISI would take those clear explanations out of their manual, because it isn't good for some coaches for students to be able to learn anything without them.

It's hard to image a bigger change in U.S. figure skating. Wow!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
I joined tonight and I sent the registration paperwork to my LTS program manager at my rink so she can test stuff out.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 09:41:20 PM »
I went ahead and joined even though my current rink's LTS program is ISI.  It was fairly cheap, I'm curious about the materials they send, and it sounds like my rink will probably be switching to the new program eventually, so why not?  Plus this way I'm already set if I decide to do any basic skills competitions this year.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »
Well, I got a blog post out of it with 3 rant filled paragraphs at the end.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »
Wow - no merger.

ROCHESTER, MN, September 6, 2016 – On August 31, 2016, the executive committee of the Professional Skaters Association (PSA) voted to terminate both the management agreement and merger negotiations with Ice Skating Institute (ISI) upon receiving such recommendation from Davis Law Firm.

Davis Law Firm was engaged to complete the due diligence requirement of the merger negotiations. Because of the confidentiality provision in the agreement, additional information will not be released publicly.

As stated in an ISI press release, “While the organizations encountered some issues that could not be overcome, they remain committed to the solid and mutually supportive relationship they have enjoyed over the years. Both ISI and PSA look forward to continuing to collaborate to best serve the ice sports industry.” PSA concurs with this statement and looks forward to continuing negotiations to eliminate duplicate services and to promote a single national learn to skate program.

Respectfully Submitted,
        Christine Fowler-Binder
        President, PSA
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 04:23:41 PM »
I heard that the ISI merger with Learn to Skate USA was on rocky ground, I didn't know about the PSA merger, but I bet they're connected.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 04:51:46 PM »
Empires.  Game Of Thrones.  No one wants to give up control.

Preservation of empire ALWAYS trumps any empire's stated reason for existence.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but, as a recreational skater who is a member of my local rink ISI Team (I compete once a year whether I need it or not) and occasionally tests ice dances via my rink's USFS skating club, I fail to see how this merger changes anything for me.  I'll still go to the rink.  I'll still pay for ice time.  I'll still pay my long suffering coach for her guidance and tuition.  I'll still pay two sets of fees to belong to ISI and USFS as well as fees for competitions and tests.  Aside from effects to the two slightly different LTS programs what's the fuss about???  Is the sky falling and I'm too preoccupied to notice?

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 09:23:08 PM »
Lutefish: I suspect you can answer your own question. I don't think the sky is falling, nor are any major empires dead yet.

But the list of skills that you would test or compete at each USFS level would change. Eventually that might be true for ISI levels too.

I'm not sure, but the nominal standards for those skills might also change, especially for the USFS. So if you want to be rated well, you might need to change the exact style you use.

Your coach's hair may go grey trying to figure out exactly what has changed. He/she may end up taking classes to help him/her figure it all out. He/she may try to pass on the costs to you! :)

Judges will also have to learn the new standards. So there might be slightly fewer available? Or your club might push you and others to become judges.

BTW, since the USFS has already started mailing out materials for the new LTS program, I assume that those standards still apply, for the current season, unless there are mid-season corrections. Likewise, the current ISI Handbook became effective 9/1/2016. Even if their eventual merger is slowed or stopped, I don't see how they could reasonably immediately cancel those changes made for the current season.

Now wouldn't it be fun if everyone instead adopted the standards of the ISU? :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
Here's the ISI press release from the coach's section on the ISI web site

ISI/PSA Affiliation Not Moving Forward
ISI Programs & Services Remain Strong

ISI President Rob McBride has announced that the ISI affiliation and merger discussions with the Professional Skating Association (PSA) will not be moving forward.

While the organizations encountered some issues that could not be overcome, they remain committed to the solid and mutually supportive relationship they have enjoyed over the years. Both ISI and PSA look forward to continuing to collaborate to best serve the ice sports industry.

ISI programs and services will be offered without interruption. There will be no changes to the skating program, and ISI national and local events, as well as testing, will continue as planned. The iAIM certification program for ISI administrative members and coaches will proceed as usual.
- See more at: http://www.skateisi.com/site/main.cfm?membertype=coaches#sthash.3p5BkNX8.dpuf

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
"Lutefish: I suspect you can answer your own question. I don't think the sky is falling, nor are any major empires dead yet."

I suspect you're right, Query.  Sun's still rising in the east, setting in the west.

"Judges will also have to learn the new standards".

Well, I tested two dances in front of three USFS judges at a test session last May.  I needed passing marks from two out of the three.  Judge 1 loved both dances and passed me on both.  Judge 2 passed me on one but gave me a "retry" on the other.  Judge 3 absolutely hated everything I did out on the ice that day.  So, under the current rules, my skating is capable of inducing a broad continuum of opinions--come to think of it, change might not be such a bad thing.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »
FWIIW, Here are the new USFSA LTS class contents, neatly summarized:

https://learntoskateusa.com/#skating-lesson-content

Three of these content sets are exactly what the Fort Dupont (Washington, DC) LTS program has just emailed its instructors, as the new class content for our LTS program, starting this Saturday, 9/8/2016.

USFSA has added an ability to search for LTS programs near a given address. See - we did get something for those higher fees! :)

Note this statement: "Olympic national governing bodies U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey and US Speedskating support Learn to Skate USA..."

That did not mention ISI. ISI instead mentions the ISI WeSkate program on their website.

Cheers