You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Alternative to the Zuca  (Read 10646 times)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Alternative to the Zuca
« on: March 09, 2016, 06:05:58 PM »
I'm tired of lugging that thing in and out of the trunk and not all of DD's stuff fits in it anyway. She still loves her Kiss and Cry and always brings it to the boards so that will have to stay. I'm thinking about a transport skate bag, but does it hold lots of other junk?

Here's our typical list of paraphernalia in the Zuca (we are a family of over-packers):
skates, guards, soakers, towel for wiping down skates
large ziplock of assorted foot junk (foot powder, blister pads, moleskin, gel sleeve, Band-Aids, foam pads, and scissors)
hairbrush, scrunchies, pony holders
3-4 pairs of gloves, headbands, extra skating jacket, skating socks

We bring tissues, water bottle, ipod, music CD's, ibuprofen, and freestyle punch card in the kiss and cry
A third bag holds her skating binder, gym shoes and socks, ankle weights, a jumprope and a yoga mat.

I feel like we bring an extraordinary amount of stuff with us but we use it all at one point or another. I could probably take the less often used stuff and put it in it's own bag that gets left in the car - like the extras and foot stuff. Also, I love lots of pockets for organizing everything into it's place, but DD doesn't follow that same method and just sort of shoves everything everywhere, leading to lots of searching. I feel like she would almost be better off with one large space to dump everything in with the exception of her skates. Maybe a skate bag, a duffle bag, and her kiss and cry?

Anyway, does anybody have a great method of getting your stuff to and from the rink?

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
Alternative to the Zuca
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »
I recently bought the Kimberly scrap booking bag from Michaels  craft store it has wheels but is very light on its own. It has a large center compartment that has a movable divider (good to put skates on one side and books or other stuff on the other), it has two side pockets that zip and the non zip pockets on those, it has a long pocket on the front, in has a long clear pocket inside the large compartment flap and I can fit two sweatshirts on top of my skates in the compartment. It's similar to the "Everything Mary" scrapbook rolling tote. I will try to post some pictures of how I've loaded mine up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Alternative to the Zuca
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 07:08:06 PM »
I cart my skates and skating junque back and forth in an old cloth tote bag.  It's dirty enough that nobody will ever steal it from under the bench in the lobby while I'm skating.  Same goes for the shoes I wear to the rink--ain't nobody gonna touch those puppies, let alone walk away in 'em.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »
I have a large Transport skate bag and less stuff than that and it just about fits but then you have to dig around for it all in the one large compartment.  I've had mine a year and it is already tearing at the top of one of the straps.  The triangular shape is not very ergonomic.  The one thing I do like about it, is the skate compartments are airy.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
Before I got my Zuca, I used a carry on bag. It had wheels, plenty of space (and pockets). It was boring black and didn't show any stains. It worked.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 07:52:23 PM »
cittiecat, that's very clever using a scrapbooking bag for skates!  I have a Zuca, given as a gift, and I agree it really isn't big enough so I have to use another bag for my skating binder and other stuff that I need.

I used a rolling suitcase, the size you can put in overhead bin, before I was given the Zuca, and it was easier to organize and access, less heavy, and fit more things.  I used one that had broken down so it was no longer suitable for travel but it was perfect to drag to and from the rink.  I think you can find very inexpensive ones.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 08:55:16 PM »
I should add that with coupons for Michaels craft store the scrapbooking bag was about $50. Its normally around $90.

Offline icepixie

• Total GOE: 16
    • My skating entries at Dreamwidth
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »
I have a transpack backpack.  It fits my skates and skate guards in the side pockets (plus I often have some moleskin or similar in there).  Inside, if I pack somewhat carefully, I can put a full change of clothes, a thin jacket and a fleece jacket, cloth to wipe skates with, knee pads, SI joint belt, small notebook (moleskine type), extra laces, little bottle of hand lotion, iPod, gloves, a couple of socks filled with rice that I use to warm up my skates before skating, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.  If you place it against the back, you could fit a binder in there instead of one or two of these objects.

The potential downside is that it does pretty much all go into that one compartment.  There's a small zipper pocket near the top on the inside of the back wall that will hold a few small things you don't want to get lost.  I put my gloves, keys, chapstick, any jewelry for work, and several knee highs in there.  I do find that if I'm changing clothes, I have to take everything out and lay it out, change, then pack it back up with the clothes I just changed out of on the bottom and the things I actually want to access for skating on top.  I don't mind this, but it would be nice if it had a divider in the middle.  The minor inconvenience is worth it for how much it holds.  It's not as comfortable to wear as a regular backpack, but it's not terribly uncomfortable for short distances.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:09:41 PM »
I agree about the Transpack.  Very roomy and easy to carry, but you have to dive for your stuff.  I organize some stuff into gallon and quart ziploc bags, which helps.  I actually clipped a small flashlight to the zipper of the inner pocket in case I really need to excavate.  I like the roller bag idea, too, but I'm often walking across campus to the rink, which involves a lot of outdoor stairs and bumpy sidewalks, and the backpack is much easier.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 11:27:04 PM »
I may have to check out Michaels tomorrow!  I haven't found anything great on wheels yet.  I want compartments.  It looks intriguing.  I'll look for coupons.  I often get food on the way home (rink is near Whole Foods) and am carrying 50lbs it feels like between the skate stuff and groceries!  Down into the subway, plus I live in a walk up.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 11:55:06 PM »

I may have to check out Michaels tomorrow!  I haven't found anything great on wheels yet.  I want compartments.  It looks intriguing.  I'll look for coupons.  I often get food on the way home (rink is near Whole Foods) and am carrying 50lbs it feels like between the skate stuff and groceries!  Down into the subway, plus I live in a walk up.
The one downside is there is no really good handle other than the rolling handle. But there are handles one each side and I feel like I or you could probably use an old duffle bag strap or something to make a shoulder strap. Try retailmenot for a coupon. Last week craft storage, which this is consider was 40% off and I had 20% off my entire purchase including sale items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »
Thank you for the ideas!

I think I'll try a small, rolling suitcase first since I already have one stored in the basement - not sure why I didn't think of it! Sounds like the transpack might work for her too. Having one great big pocket to stuff everything in is probably better for her since she doesn't take the time to sort her things into the various Zuca pockets anyway. She ends up yanking everything out to find a glove or pair of socks - might as well start out all in a jumble. It drives me bananas.

The other option is to design a backpack and sew it myself, and I still might do that once I figure out exactly what we want. Could be kind of fun to create the 'perfect for her' skate bag.

Offline sparkleskates

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Getting back out there!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »
I love my transpack. I had to change though, the weight was too much for me. ( I am sure your skater would be fine, i've just had multiple shoulder surgeries.)  So I switched to a Rockland rolling duffel. It fits my adult skates, jacket, 2 pair of skating pants and a couple tops, guards, towels, gloves and other assorted junk. I love that it has pockets on the outside that are smallish, I keep gloves in one, skate/foot supplies in another, tissues in the third, and my car keys and what little cash I bring with me in the 4th. It comes in lots of color options and was 30 bucks on Amazon.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »
I carry one of these http://www.amazon.com/Fafada-Skating-Hockey-Figure-Roller/dp/B00KHL6FEC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1457637242&sr=8-3&keywords=Ice+skate+bags

Hopefully that link is allowed. It was very inexpensive and I am shocked as to what it holds. I use packing cubes to organize my things inside, but it holds both my skates and allows then to always breathe, the netting on the skate compartments has held up well, I was worried it would tear, but it is strong. In the outside skate compartments I keep my guards and two pairs of soakers as well as my blade towel (small). Inside the center compartment I have a packing cube with extras...socks, gloves, scarf, and a small first aid kit. In another packing cube I carry protective gear, my tailbone pad, my Crashe cap (the full hat), my wrist gaurds, husband's wrist gaurds. I also carry in a knit cap holding that day's socks, gloves, scarf, leg warmers, my IPod head band and ipod. I also usually carry a bottle of water, snacks, and there is room left over for a sweatshirt or light jacket. The carry strap is very strong, and it has a smaller hang strap on the top to hang over hooks. I have seen what a Zuca carrys and I swear this bag can rival it for room not to mention allowing the skates to breathe all the time. True you have to carry it and cannot sit on it, but it is about $150 cheaper, so there is that...  :D

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 10:57:17 PM »
In my internet searching for the perfect bag, I came across the Athalon Everything Boot Bag meant for ski boots that looks like a strong possibility. I may stop by our ski shop tomorrow to check out the options.

https://youtu.be/u3I-x6hGE2I

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 01:09:51 AM »
Wow, I must be low-class! I use an LLbean boat tote. Relatively cheap, super durable and available in a size that meets my at-the-moment needs. For gala/competition I use the largest size, and one of the smaller sizes for normal use. Of course I have a small army of these bags in most sizes and configurations because they are so useful.

Iir, I used the same thing when I was a kid!

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 08:26:39 AM »
Loops, I am a tote bag junkie. I make my own in all sorts of shapes and sizes and it is often my go to gift when I want to sew something personal for somebody. I really do love bags. Maybe I am over-thinking and I just need to make a big, heavy-duty totebag with a section for her boots and a section for everything else.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »
If you (1) don't need rollers and (2) don't need a case that also serves as a seat, then there is a plethora of generic gym bags and duffels to choose from:  wide variety of sizes and compartment configurations and combos of handles and shoulder straps.  You can find sturdy ones for $50 or less.  Open mesh compartments are appealing to vent sweaty gear, but be careful when it rains!  If your sensitive gear is always exposed, keep a large plastic garbage bag tucked away in case you get caught in rain.

When I travelled light, I just used a large tote.  If it rained, I could roll the top closed.  As my gear grew, I switched to a multi-compartment rectangular duffel.  The main compartment has a large rectangular flap with a full wrap-around zipper.  When the weather is nice, I tuck the flap in, and the main compartment is totally open for skates and other gear to breathe.  When it's raining or snowing, I zip up the flap to keep the skates and other gear dry.  My bag also has a full-length side zip compartment, and two end mesh zip compartments.  At the end of the session, I put my damp drying cloth and damp blade guards in one of the mesh compartments, separate from the skates and other gear.  A water bottle goes in the other end compartment.  Misc items (screwdriver kit, hone stone, spare laces, ...) are sorted in zip-lock bags and stashed in the side compartment.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 12:42:20 AM »
I have a gym tote.  It's sort of lulu lemon looking but I got it at Marshals.  It's got tons of pockets and lots of room for extras and it's deeper than normal.  It's seriously like a Mary Poppins carpet bag.  It fits everything.  It's over the shoulder though.

Lots of girls at my rink have the lulu bags (or Iviva or Triple Flip)... some look like bowling bags (which I've used but it was Fila) but I've found these just don't have enough room.  The ones that resemble mine - the gym tote type ones - seem to carry a ridiculous amount of stuff.  But I guess it depends how much you want to spend because they can be pricey and you've gotta make sure the size is right as they're more meant for the gym/yoga.  Some of the ones I've seen are really pretty though if your kid is a bit of a fashionista with her skating bags and clothes.

Not many kids at my rink do the rolling bag thing anymore even though it was all the craze for the longest time.  Most use some sort of over the shoulder type deal.  Some of the older skaters use the transpacks but if your kid is little, I think they're a little oversized for a smaller person to carry on their back.

Maybe check out Grit?  But if you're looking to downsize, maybe not the best choice.  Anyone I've seen who's still got a rolling style bag has switched over to Grit.  They look nice but like I said, they're big.  There's a place for everything in them, though.

Offline theoreticalgirl

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
I repurposed an old rolling suitcase; it's a model similar to this one:

http://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/samsonite-lift2-wheeled-boarding-bag/58751XXXX.html

It fits a pair of adult skates + a mesh compartment for storing gloves/extra laces/etc. Based on previous use, I know it can go into an overhead bin if I had to travel, has wheels and is bright teal, so it's easily recognizable. Personally speaking, I err on the side of not having a lot of skating "stuff" and anything I really need has to fit into the suitcase.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »
I know this is an old post but I thought I would resurrect it to share yet another idea. My husband has found his skate bag of choice after dealing with some unsuccessful trials of other skate bags, such as the Eddie Bauer version, which was too lightweight and tore up fairly quickly. In particular I think it may be a good option for some of the guys out there. My husband is ex law enforcment and decided on this- it is a bag used to typically carry police files and equipment and he has used them in the past-  https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical-Patrol-Ready-Black/dp/B000AL9CUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491768769&sr=8-1&keywords=Police+bag

The most noticeable thing about this bag is how lightweight it is. Empty, it seems to weigh practically nothing, but it is really strong and sturdy. It is not wheeled, just has the long and short straps that are very strong. He carries fairly minimal stuff, but this bag can and does hold much more. Currently, he carries size 12 extra wide Harlicks, he has the large puffy soakers that take up quite a bit of space as well as regular soakers, accessories like bunga pads and skate dessicant inserts, and he uses the center exterior pocket in front for pairs of socks and drying towels. He uses one outside pocket for water and carries his gaurds in the exterior velcro holders, that way they do not get the interior wet. I help care for his skates and I love how roomy yet organized the interior is, the dividers and easy open top make it simple to care for the skates and let them air out. You can easily add clothing or extra shoes in the inside or outside pockets if need be. An unconventional skate bag, yet for him it works perfectly. I know what to carry our skates in has been an ongoing issue for some, perhaps someone else will find this idea useful.