You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: My Boot Dilemma...  (Read 2727 times)

Offline amandascw

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
  • Freeskate 3
My Boot Dilemma...
« on: February 23, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
Hi again! I posted with questions about boots a few weeks back but now I'm torn again. I cannot decide if I should get the Risport Execellences or EDEA Overtures! So the story is, I need new skates because my low level Riedells are breaking down like crazy. I looked around the internet for a while and finally decided on the Risports. They're now at my house and fit nicely and are slightly heavy. I have not mounted them or skated in them yet. Ive now been reading rave reviews and seeing practically every skater at my rink in edeas and with my indecisive nature, I am second-guessing my choice. Are edeas so good that I should send the others back and get them? I already asked for a new blade for my birthday and I am reading that edeas need shorter blades so I would have to send the new blades back for a new size, too. Its not a big deal, just a bit of a hassle. So in your opinion, should I send the risports and longer blades back for the edeas or stick with what I have? Are they really that amazing? Thanks soo much!
sk8 obsessed

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: My Boot Dilemma...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
My kid loves her Edea boots but I know that some people have hated them - boot really are such a personal preference and also dependent upon your particular foot shape. Is there any way you can try on an Overture before returning the Risports, even if it means asking somebody at the rink to try on theirs? I think it is really hard to decide on a pair of boots unless you can physically put them on your feet.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 05:26:38 PM »
You should go with what fits your feet the best and what's suitable for your level, rather than what's currently all the rage at your rink.

Offline EnjoyTheGlide

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Waltz Hops
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Edea was started by someone who previously worked with Risport; it might have been something along the lines of the head of Edea is the granddaughter of the man who started Risport (source 1, source 2).  With that in mind, I would imagine that the boot last would be similar between Risport and Edea—standard is somewhat narrow, more narrow than C-width Jackson boots at least—so if the Risports fit you well, then Edeas might work for you as well.  However, as you've probably already come across in during your research, Edeas are lighter and shaped differently from other boot brands, especially where the heel is concerned.  Since the heel is "shortened," not only will the blade be shorter, but you'd feel taller and maybe even more wobbly than usual when you first skate in them. 

For reference, I have previously skated in a pair of Jackson Classiques and now I'm in Edea Choruses.  I do like them, especially because they're lighter and easier to maintain (plastic sole and heel means that I don't need to waterproof them with Sno-Seal), but they leave my feet kind of cold and lacing them is a pain because instead of pulling the ends outward, you do it from the criss-crosses down the center.  But as with what DressmakingMomma said, boot choice is a personal decision and people either really love their Edeas or really hate them; just search around The Pro Shop on this forum or The Lutz Corner on Golden Skate and you'll find mixed reviews.  So in the end, it's up to you whether you want to stick with your Risports or exchange them for a pair of Edeas.  But if I were in your position and like the way the Risports feel, I would keep them until they break down or you've reached a level where an upgrade is necessary.  Also, as Edeas become more popular, I would want to be the one rocking a pair of "rare" boots.  ;)

Offline amandascw

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
  • Freeskate 3
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:48:40 AM »
Thank you guys for talking some sense into me! Haha I appreciate it
sk8 obsessed

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:35:36 PM »
Thank you guys for talking some sense into me! Haha I appreciate it

That response reflects a good deal of maturity on your part.  Good luck on your new boots and blades!