You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating in NY  (Read 9977 times)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
Re: Skating in NY
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
I am late to this party, however, there are several places to skate in NYC (my home). 

1. Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers

2. City Ice Pavilion in Queens (take the 7 train to 33rd & Rawson, cross Queens Blvd and walk towards the Sleepys Warehouse - it's on the roof of the building)

3. World Ice in Queens (again, take the 7 train, this time to Willets Point {formerly Shea Stadium}, walk down the boardwalk, past the tennis courts, hang a right when you see a road, and the huge gray oddly slanted building, also housing an Olympic sized swimming pool is your destination).

4. Ray Stark in Brooklyn.  Sorry, I've never been there,.

There's also a bunch in Long Island.  If you want a list of those, just tell me.

Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Visiting NYC
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
Hi New Yorkers!  I will be visiting New York the first two weeks of July, coming from Sydney.  Are there any opportunities for casual pattern dancing?

Probably I will check out the Aviator rink, since it is near where I am staying in Brooklyn.  Maybe I'll visit some other rinks too.

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
I don't know of any social ice dance sessions that still exist here. There were some, back when I first moved here, but I don't know of any that are still happening.

However, there are a lot of very strong ice dance coaches and former competitors in this area, so an idea is to contact one now, and arrange 1-2 lessons for yourself while you're in NY. Why not? Sergei Sakhnovskiy teaches at World Ice Arena in Queens. My friends who've done clinics with him say he's awesome.

If you want to skate in NYC, Chelsea Piers/Sky Rink is really unique, in that it's built on a pier with windows along the rink, and you can see the cruise ships coming in as you skate. That's in Manhattan.

If you want to do any normal dance classes while you're here, there are open, drop in classes for adults at Steps on Broadway and at Broadway Dance Center, as well as at Peridance. I'm going to be in NYC next week and I plan to take Flamenco, because why not? ;)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »
The Hickory Hill FSC has Sunday morning Ice Dance sessions.  It's not quite the same thing as social dancing, though. 
http://hhfsc.org/skating-disciplines/learn-to-skate/  (Lower-right hand corner of page)

Sundays: 9:30am-11:30am, Evarts Rink, The Harvey School Rink, 260 Jay Street (Rt 22) Katonah, NY

Fees:
9 two hour pass: $325
9 one hour pass: $180
4 two-hour pass: $190
4 one-hour pass: $110

Walkon Rates
One hour of ice dancing. $30
Two hours of ice dancing $50
Family discount 15% off. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
www.icedancers.com lists Social Dance weekends and sessions.

http://www.icedancers.com/social-ice-dancing
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
HHFSC isn't social dance, but it's 100% ice dance on those mornings. And there's often snacks. I thought of them, but they're a bit far so I didn't suggest them.

Denis Pethukov and Melissa Gregory teach there on Sunday mornings, so you may see them if you go.