You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Need help looking for new skates!  (Read 1946 times)

Offline atria

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Need help looking for new skates!
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy new skates but I'm not sure which ones. I am beginning to learn freestyle, I'm in the middle of level 1 right now and my coach said I really need new skates, which is very true because I've had the same for a very long time, back when I was still a beginner.
I have a few concerns however, because I'm afraid I will not be very used to new, higher level skates (blades specifically), especially the toe pick. Will it be large? I'm not sure if I will be able to handle something like that just yet (I tried on such a pair once and I tend to trip, a lot, is this to be expected? I am very confused). But you can probably tell I know next to nothing about skates, which is why I'm posting this here... Not sure which ones I should move on to, nor good places to buy them, and even the sizing (haven't looked into these things for years). I live in NYC, so if you know any good stores I can visit that'd be great, otherwise online is good too. I am on a budget so I'd rather not splurge on something too expensive and good for me, though I do understand the importance of a good pair of skates, and the fact that I will need to pay more for better skates, which is why I'm open to all options and will determine other things later.
Oh and besides the fact that I'm starting freestyle, I'm 17, 5'6", and 120 pounds. I believe that information may be needed.. I do not plan on skating competitively but I do plan on figure skating and moving up in difficulty throughout the years for as long as my legs will support me because I love it so much.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions! Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help!  :WS:

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: Need help looking for new skates!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:55 PM »
I can't help with a recommendation for a good fitter in NYC, but others will be along shortly with suggestions. I would, however, suggest that you don't even think about buying online. There really is no substitute for working with a good boot fitter to determine the best options for your foot, and then trying boots on to ensure that they will work for you.

ETA: you could ask your coach if they can recommend a store, or ask other skaters at your rink. Also, because they know your skating, you could ask your coach if they have suggestions for skates to give you an idea of level, however don't plan on getting a specific brand because the fit / sizing differs across brands. And, yes, the toe pick will feel unbelievably large at first but you will get used to it  :)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:48:07 PM »
Find out from your coach who the good boot fitter is in your area.  Go to him/her.  He will look at your feet and determine what brand will likely work best for you.   Some brands run wide, others run narrow.   It's very important that the boot is not too long.  All the brands have skates (and often with blade combinations for the lower/medium level skates) to suit any level of skater.  And, the prices are reduced too.    It really takes year(s) to learn the single jumps and spins, and then onto the combination jumps and combination spins . . . so you will be wearing out this pair of skates and blades.  It will not be your last pair.  Many of the Reidells and Jacksons come with blades.     I'd go with Coronation Ace and/or MK Professional Blades, or something similar offered in the boot manufacturer's line.  The toe picks are not crazy big, but the bottom one is big enough to be a real assistance with learning your scratch spins.   You're going to be spinning soon.   Those blades will carry you far, and perhaps onto your next pair of boots.   Make sure the boots are comfortable.   I really like "rolled edges" because they help prevent blisters.   I also like alot of achilles heel padding, to snug in protect the heel from lifting. There are also extra pads you can buy.    Lifting is bad, no edge control and nasty "pump bumps" can form on the back of the heel bone (causing pain, cortisone shots, surgery, achilles issues, etc.).   Also, too big of a boot will cause alot of problems too.  So, good boot fitter . . . . no Internet shopping on this purchase.   

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
I'm in NYC as well and researched this a lot.   I went to Jim Skibin in NJ at the Ice House (and you will love the place and watching some elite/Olympic level skaters while you are there).  I am picking up my skates (hopefully) next week.

Jim knows his stuff.  I would definitely recommend him!  He "got" my feet and not many get it as they don't do the typical foot things that most do.

If you can't get out there there's another guy in Long Island - @twinskaters (??) knows.... I have no input on him.

If you need to stay in Manhattan you can try Westside Skate but I would make sure you are helped by someone who knows figure skates and not primarily hockey.  It's a bit of a mixed bag there.  The new skate shop at Chelsea Piers is not a good option.  The people running it are hockey guys and no nothing about figure skates, as per them!

What are you skating in now?  Boots and blade?  Where are you doing your lessons?  You can check with your coach as well.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »
I'm in NYC as well and researched this a lot.   I went to Jim Skibin in NJ at the Ice House (and you will love the place and watching some elite/Olympic level skaters while you are there).  I am picking up my skates (hopefully) next week.

Jim knows his stuff.  I would definitely recommend him!  He "got" my feet and not many get it as they don't do the typical foot things that most do.

If you can't get out there there's another guy in Long Island - @twinskaters (??) knows.... I have no input on him.

If you need to stay in Manhattan you can try Westside Skate but I would make sure you are helped by someone who knows figure skates and not primarily hockey.  It's a bit of a mixed bag there.  The new skate shop at Chelsea Piers is not a good option.  The people running it are hockey guys and no nothing about figure skates, as per them!

What are you skating in now?  Boots and blade?  Where are you doing your lessons?  You can check with your coach as well.

I just wrote a whole reply and it got eaten by the internet. It boiled down to my coach and my kids' coach recommended Dante Cozzi at his shop in Bethpage, at the town of oyster bay skating rink and we love him. He's great and I completely trust him to do a good fitting and to not try and overboot or sell you the most expensive skates he's got. The rink is less than a 5-minute cab ride from the Bethpage LIRR and it's a nice place to skate while you're out in suburbia. :)