You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: That's some pretty expensive winter decor!  (Read 1602 times)

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
That's some pretty expensive winter decor!
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »
My girls and I were in Anthropologie today and one of them spotted a pair of ice skates hanging on the wall as a decoration. I've seen that plenty of times before, but even across the store, I could tell these were not your garden-variety decorative skates--way too much toe pick. We took a closer look and couldn't see what kind of boot it was (there was greenery obscuring the top) but the blades were Gold Seals! Who the heck donated those?!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: That's some pretty expensive winter decor!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:21:35 PM »
Nice! Lol

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »
Whoa!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »
 Anthropologie can be pretty pricey, so I guess its not surprising that they have top of the like skate decor! Lol!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
Remember that a worn blade is not worth a whole lot - they could have simply been an employees old pair of skates.

Speaking of expensive props though, I was watching a movie once where a girl wanted to "learn" how to skate, and so her dad bought her a "pair of skates" as a gift - they ended up being Jackson Elite Supreme's with Gold Seals, and clearly not brand new (they weren't in bad shape, but clearly broken in, with a few scuffs and blade nicks) - but I think they belonged to the actor, because despite her pretending not to be able to skate, she looked quite comfortable on the ice in her not-so-beginner skates :)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
Speaking of expensive props though, I was watching a movie once where a girl wanted to "learn" how to skate, and so her dad bought her a "pair of skates" as a gift - they ended up being Jackson Elite Supreme's with Gold Seals, and clearly not brand new (they weren't in bad shape, but clearly broken in, with a few scuffs and blade nicks) - but I think they belonged to the actor, because despite her pretending not to be able to skate, she looked quite comfortable on the ice in her not-so-beginner skates :)

I think I remember hearing that Michelle Trachtenberg's beat-up pond skates in the movie "Ice Princess" were actually custom Harlicks that they "weathered"!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
I'm going to have to go back there this week and have another look. It's right up the block, and i didn't really get to look at stuff in general anyway because I had the kids with me. The boots looked to be in very good shape. If I can grab a pic, I will. :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
That doesn't surprise me about ice princess... the "new" skates she receives in the movie are Harlicks too :)