You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: undergarments  (Read 8248 times)

Offline amice

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
undergarments
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
I have run into an unanticipated problem with dd and her underwear.  Her current pairs were all tight around her legs, to the point that the poor thing was putting pieces of tissue in the leg holes to ease the pressure.  Anyway, went out yesterday (just noticed the tissue the day before, so not completely negligent) and had a real problem finding new underwear, but finally found some very stretchy microfibre 'boyshorts', that weren't too tight on the legs.  I would prefer cotton for her, does any one have this problem and/or brand suggestions?  She is 12, regular build with typical skater thighs and rear.  (not sure how to put it politely :-\)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: undergarments
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »
Please don't find this odd, but, yes, we've had similar problems and have researched a few solutions.  First, string bikini style seems to work better - the "strings" stretch better than more structured ones. Second, Victoria's Secret ones seem to work better too, as the elastic is "softer" and "more stretchy" and the cotton in them is softer as well and seems to stretch a bit better. Picking the right size was the other key factor.  Although DD is a size 2 to 4 in Abercrombie jeans (i.e. is fairly slender) - the lovely ladies at Victoria's Secret told us to buy her Medium panties, as her butt, being a skater, is out of proportion to her waist size etc. So, we bought a size up from what we would normally be thinking would fit.

Other brands that seem to work are the GapBody ones, again, in a size larger than expected.  When they go on sale, we stock up; same thing with the Victoria's Secret outlet stores :)

Victoria's Secret and GapBody do have tasteful styles that are pretty and appropriate, so, those we are comfortable with buying. Not anything that is inappropriate in terms of slogans, patterns, etc for a young lady.

For comps, well, ummm ... yeah. Commando to avoid any problems.. Let's leave it at that :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
For comps, well, ummm ... yeah. Commando to avoid any problems.. Let's leave it at that :)

Tights ARE underwear.  That's why they have that nice cotton gusset.

I agree with you that Victoria Secret has nice stretchy elastic, and their basic underwear styles are really just as modest as something like Jockey or Hanes from Target.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »
Not all brands of tights have cotton gussets, so you have to look for the ones that Skittl mentioned if you plan to go without pantyhose.  Gussets are mainly there to make the tights fit properly in the crotch.  Well-made pants often have them as well.

If you can't find that type of tights, a small adhesive pantyliner will serve the same purpose.

Going commando back in the day was okay.  Even spirals weren't that "exposing."  With today's crotch-shot spirals and butt-in-the-air spins, you do have to think about modesty.  I saw a sweet little girl wearing regular pantyhose with her skating dress last week.  Aside from the thigh line showing, the pantyhose were very sheer and see-through.  The open-hipped beginner spiral was a bit revealing.   Just because of my NYC mentality, all I could think of was a creep with a camera.

In the 1980's, pantylines were all the rage, so some smart pantyhose manufacturers decided to put in cotton gussets so you could have "no pantylines."  The cotton is cheaper and far more durable than the nylon fabric and it's easier to sew.  There were some newspaper articles about women getting infections and chafing from the new style.  I remember thinking "How long are these ladies wearing those pantyhose?"  (Sorry, it was a marketing case study in college, lol.)

A fellow coach once said out loud "Real skaters don't wear underwear."  A parent shot back with "Nor do whores. My daughter's wearing Victoria Secret undies next week."  ROFLOL  I wasn't involved, but I enjoyed the exchange.   :pop
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »
My DD's costumes are made for her by a lovely lady who ensures that things are well covered and well lined.  We also have a mandatory "butt check" done by coach when dresses are bought, and before dresses go on the ice for comps ... plus, we use the Mondor tights that aren't pantyhose-ish.

Lots of coaches suggest thongs, but, well, that's another personal opinion.  I just don't like the look of undies showing at the bottom of skating dresses ... or ballerina bodysuits. French hicuts can work well, they are cut similarly to a skating dress bottom.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:58:17 PM »

... I saw a sweet little girl wearing regular pantyhose with her skating dress last week.  Aside from the thigh line showing, the pantyhose were very sheer and see-through.  The open-hipped beginner spiral was a bit revealing.   Just because of my NYC mentality, all I could think of was a creep with a camera.

Yes I've seen that at our rink too and other women have told me they've seen it in the cases of girls wearing other short dress costumes for bands, dance classes, etc. Maybe the mothers simply don't know how to buy appropriate tights. I can't think of that many women being that stupid. On the other hand I still don't understand how showing your bra straps became socially acceptable. So anything's possible.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »
Yes I've seen that at our rink too and other women have told me they've seen it in the cases of girls wearing other short dress costumes for bands, dance classes, etc. Maybe the mothers simply don't know how to buy appropriate tights. I can't think of that many women being that stupid. On the other hand I still don't understand how showing your bra straps became socially acceptable. So anything's possible.
What's worse- bra straps or the very defined line of a strapless bra? I like tank tops and I hate the way strapless looks underneath them- it's just way too obviously outlined.

I remember seeing a little girl at my rink with her competition dress on and white panties showing clearly through the tights. Made me cringe. I guess the mothers don't think much of it. But no panties and sheer pantyhose? :bash

Personally my dresses/skirts have almost always covered my butt/upper-upper thighs pretty well. But I think that's because I have to buy adult sizes, so they're sized for the adult butt I don't have, so then they fit perfectly with no revealing.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 02:58:47 PM »
What's worse- bra straps or the very defined line of a strapless bra? I like tank tops and I hate the way strapless looks underneath them- it's just way too obviously outlined.
If you go up a size in the strapless bra, the line shouldn't show... you can get "t-shirt" style bras in strapless, but they have to fit right to work.

But no panties and sheer pantyhose?
How do people skate in pantyhose anyway?  It seems like those would rip the first fall you have.  That's what tights are for! They are made for dance/skating- to take the wear and tear, and to cover the required parts, less the leotard slips a bit.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »
How do people skate in pantyhose anyway?  It seems like those would rip the first fall you have.  That's what tights are for! They are made for dance/skating- to take the wear and tear, and to cover the required parts, less the leotard slips a bit.

....and not to mention that regular pantyhose would be really really cold....

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »
Mondor has a line of skating tights that are very sheer; some coaches really like them for comps as they look very elegant and that, and, well, because they are sheer. They run pretty easily though ... so, we gave up on them except for THE REALLLY REALLLLY REALLLLLY IMPORTANT COMPETITION OF THE YEAR - the same one we buy the new rhinestone-decorated mitts, etc etc etc for.

They're not too bad for being cold; and you're only on the ice for the warmup and the program, so, it's not like skating for a session in them.

Offline amice

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
This is all a huge help, thanks!  Also, dd will be happy to know that other skaters have to go a size up for their undies!

I hear you about clueless mom thing with regards to the butt area.  There is a lovely girl at our rink that hit puberty/ had a huge growth spurt and the dress she wore most often didn't keep up.  Her bottom hung out at the bottom and the skirt really didn't cover it.  I don't know the family very well, and the dress seems to be gone this year anyway.  Since she had other dresses, I think it was just a case of not wanting to give up a favorite. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »
Her bottom hung out at the bottom and the skirt really didn't cover it.

There is a girl at my rink who wears a dress like this too.  The panty covers her just fine, but the skirt ends mid-rear end.  She wears it ALL the time, it's clearly her favorite dress.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 07:43:02 AM »
Maybe the mothers simply don't know how to buy appropriate tights.
The skater and the mom are both newbies and it was the girl's first time wearing a skating dress.  The pantyhose's transparency just made me think twice.  (The little girl is so sweet and her mom is really nice, so I think it was just a rookie mistake.  They might have forgotten about tights, so they just ran out to the nearby Walmart for pantyhose.)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 08:32:47 AM »
The skater and the mom are both newbies and it was the girl's first time wearing a skating dress.  The pantyhose's transparency just made me think twice.  (The little girl is so sweet and her mom is really nice, so I think it was just a rookie mistake.)

Well I think most non skating people wouldn't think about skirts not covering what they're meant to cover as they wouldn't necessarily think about skirts flying up in jumps and spirals.

What is worse is the older teen who insists on wearing low cut, strappy dresses with inappropriate support as things tend to bounce out doing jumps.
As an adult, I make sure my dresses cover all bra straps and that I can wear a bra, but for some strange reason teenage girls (and their mothers) don't seem to think about these things. Although, I'd bet they all have sports bras for running.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
I used to work for a fashion retailer and part of my "management training" were mandatory dress-for-success sessions.  (They'd be appalled at what I wear for work now, since my desk is at home (pjs) and I coach skating in sweats and t-shirts.

One topic that I really appreciated was "Flattering Skirt Lengths."  They didn't talk about too-short or too-long, it focused on not having the skirt end in the middle or above a curve.  A calf-length skirt should come below the widest point of the calf.  A mid-length skirt should end above the knee where the thigh was tapering down.  It was fascinating and even on professional models, you could see the difference.

I think skating skirts should cover the skater's bum. That goes for guys, too.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »

I think skating skirts should cover the skater's bum. That goes for guys, too.

I'll pass that along to my son ... the figure skater :)  So far, it hasn't been an issue ...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
Men in Skirts are more common at Adult competitions. 
Made my kids go ??? when they were younger.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 07:29:55 PM »
Maybe the mothers simply don't know how to buy appropriate tights.
Perhaps they're cheap and don't want to pony up for skating tights?  Or don't want to order online and there's nowhere "in real life" to get them?  Thatd be my guess, anyway.  But you'd think the coach would say something!

Yeah!  I have a strapless bra that is like a bandeau style with foam cups...maybe I just have weird-shaped boobs, or perhaps they're too weighty [they don't "sag" per se in that they don't actually point downward, but, erm, all the weight seems to be in the bottom half] and the top band can't support that but I don't see how it could unless it was cutting off circulation... but the bra slips down a bit and then the top elastic band is at the top of my boobs and it sort of compresses and then my boobs are shaped weird--kinda flat on the top.

I like those silicone stick-on petals, but then I'm not very "gifted" and don't especially "need" a bra, so my only problem is eliminating the "Tic-Tacs down the shirt" look and the petals work great.

I'll be honest, and i think I've said this before...I dread the day I may have to buy a "real" skating skirt or dress.  I will probably end up removing the panty and substituting boy-leg dance briefs in a matching color instead.  I just don't want to worry about my big old butt, or my crotch, hanging out.  Still will have to deal with panty lines underneath, but at least I won't have to worry about the BIKINI line!  (I have two "skirts" right now, but they're not specifically for skating--they're athletic-type skorts with little shorts underneath rather than panties.)  Not that I'm ever going to be in Biellmann or Y-spiral position or anything extreme like that anyway, but I've definitely seen some pics of even famous skaters that are bordering on the risque....
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."

Offline pikachu314

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Pikachu skates!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but what would you guys do for a dress in http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Exclusive-Figure-Skating-Dress-custom-size-6-XL-/150543234703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230d13768f type of style, with the "strapless" effect?

Normal straps would show through the mesh... would clear straps?

thanks!
ice ice baby

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 05:46:01 PM »
My DD wears the clear strapped bra under illusion and you can't see it. The bigger problem would be the back strap and the "cups" - depending on where the top cuts down to, those might show.  Now, her bra also has a wide, clear opaque back strap, which helps hide it on the back. That doesn't show thru illusion either.

Don't know how much support you need - you might be able to get away with sewing  cups in the dress and/or using those stick on thingees.

Offline pikachu314

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Pikachu skates!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 03:00:10 AM »
Thanks Sk8mum! It's good to know that clear straps don't show through the mesh. I'd never thought of cutting up a bra and sewing it in - it's a really clever idea.  It's especially good since I've never had much luck with strapless ones and I don't want to go without or with those petal things.  :sweat I think that if I got a dress like that I'd have to just go to every bra shop in the land and try stuff underneath it until it worked.

Has anyone had experience of those dancer's undergarment - leotard type things? Like this: http://www.movedancewear.com/dance_underwear-bloch_seamless_brief_bodysuit/542/ They look quite good, but there again I'm not sure if the legs are high enough - I dont want any of it to show!
ice ice baby

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 07:04:34 AM »
You need to have the dress before you start figuring out the undergarments.  It all depends on how the panties are cut in terms of whether the leotard shows; you can also get some of those leotards in thong or high cut style. A dancewear store is the way to go.

You can also get bras that have the strap sort of around the waist, etc. Basically, taking the dress to a place that sells dancewear undergarments and doing some trying on is the way to go.

Offline pikachu314

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Pikachu skates!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
Thanks for helping so quickly; your advice and experience are really useful to me (I'm such a newbie when it comes to dresses ;)) Now i'm off to check the phone directory/the internet for dance stores nearby!
ice ice baby