You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: A little sparkle for testing?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
A little sparkle for testing?
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
I'm a few months off from testing pre-bronze MIF and FS.  As I don't have a figure skater body, I can't exactly go off the rack, so I'm making my own dress.  I know I could probably just test in my usual sweater and leggings combo, but it just doesn't seem the same.  (Not to mention that fear of actually putting on a skating dress is great motivation for my diet!)

I'm a sewer, so I "collect" fabric and have a couple lovely pieces that I could use for the skirt of a dress.  One is navy shot through with silver, and one is grey with silver glitter.  Would this be overkill?  I'm not planning to stone, bead, or otherwise bedazzle anything else on the dress.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: A little sparkle for testing?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
Wear what makes you happy.  The judges will evalute your skating, not your outfit.  If a particular dress will make you feel more comfortable so that you are able to skate better, then that is what you should wear.

That said, both pieces of fabric you describe sound lovely and not overly flashy, especially if the dress design calls for them to be combined with a plain fabric.  Do they stretch?  That would be a major consideration for me in any fabric choice.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »
That said, both pieces of fabric you describe sound lovely and not overly flashy, especially if the dress design calls for them to be combined with a plain fabric.  Do they stretch?  That would be a major consideration for me in any fabric choice.

Both are stretch fabrics, and I was planning to do the rest of the dress in a solid stretch velvet of the same color.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
That sounds totally fine :)

However, you may find that when it comes down to it, you're just more comfortable in what your normally wear to skate in.  I wore a dress for bre-bronze and bronze moves, and pre-bronze free and found it very distracting because it felt so different than I was used to, so when I took my silver moves I wore my regular skating pants and jacket.  I did test my gold moves in a dress, but I had also taken the opportunity to practice wearing a dress before I went out to test, so it didn't feel so weird.