You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Had my first off ice lesson  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
Had my first off ice lesson
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:07:33 PM »
Sorry I didn't take a video but I had my first off ice lesson with my coach yesterday. We worked on half and full rotations standing in one place and then we went through 3 of the 6 single jumps starting with a waltz jump thence toe loop and then a Salchow.

Here's what I learned:

I know all of my jumps are landing too much on an arc. this is evident when you see me skate. Practicing these jumps in tennis shoes on a straight-line forces you to realize if you are under rotating or over rotating your jumps and especially the position that you're landing foot is in. With me on almost every jump my foot is past the axis of the line I am trying to jump on -so as I land it's very hard for me to hold the landing on dry land.   On the ice I'm able to hold the landings but of course I just arc around and that makes it really hard to pull out a combination jump.

As a child I don't remember jumping off ice except to try to learn an axel. and I never did learn an axel as a child. My problem was I was always trying to jump around and not out, then pulling in. As for the other jumps I don't recall doing any of them off the ice but my coach says "we practice all of our jumps off ice even the doubles and the triples! " … I laughed when she said we.. Even harder when she said doubles and triples.

So,for the toe loop we started with assuming you were on a forward right inside edge with your right arm forward then she had me turn to a back edge position and hold. (again hard to do on dry land) then she had Me step down onto my left foot and swing my right leg (through just as a simulation ...not continuing as if it were a jump) just swing the leg through then put it back down where it was before ...then step off with your left foot and jump through as a waltz jump.

Similar for the salchow we started in a backward position right arm forward weight on your left foot then she had me Halfturn to the forward position and hold and then jump through like a waltz jump.

As for the half and full turns in place I have done most before but I was also doing those wrong ...she reminded me to make sure my left arm was in front and my right arm was behind me as in a jumping position starting with bent knees and with my feet slightly wider apart .. And of course trying to cross your left foot over your right foot in a jumping position before landing on 2 feet.

Next week we are going to do the loop Jump and the lutz and the flip.

... And before anybody corrects me I know the six jumps do not include a waltz jump but they do include an axel....but for my purposes jump number six is the waltz jump it would be seven if you include the axel.

Here's my prediction ...you will see me doing axel attempts off ice but I doubt very seriously you will ever see me doing an axel on ice.

Diane
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
Re: Had my first off ice lesson
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »

Here's my prediction ...you will see me doing axel attempts off ice but I doubt very seriously you will ever see me doing an axel on ice.

Don't rule it out completely. I started doing axel prep drills on ice this summer (waltz-loop and waltz-loop-backspin). There is always the harness as well.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:07:30 AM »
Off-ice jumping is a fantastic tool!  I would never have landed my first axel (at 38) without first learning it on the floor.

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:53 AM »
Off-ice jumping is a fantastic tool!  I would never have landed my first axel (at 38) without first learning it on the floor.
I had my lesson last Wednesday and today is Sunday and I'll tell you the truth I am still sore from the jumping exercises I did. I know it's like anything else, once you do it a little more often it will get easier. Repetitive off ice jumping is very explosive and I don't really do anything very explosive. Today I'll try some more and then we'll see how I feel!
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
I had my lesson last Wednesday and today is Sunday and I'll tell you the truth I am still sore from the jumping exercises I did. I know it's like anything else, once you do it a little more often it will get easier. Repetitive off ice jumping is very explosive and I don't really do anything very explosive. Today I'll try some more and then we'll see how I feel!

Don't overdo it, and be sure to warm up with less explosive exercises first (like jogging or grapevines).  Stretch your quads, calves, hamstrings and glutes really well afterwards, too.  That will help! :)