You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why don't skates have shock absorbers?  (Read 9247 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Why don't skates have shock absorbers?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »
My Riedell insoles (TS 875 boots)  were not made  of the same material.  They had a softer foamy feel.

I am sure it is some sort of polymer.  You have probably seen a demo with rubber balls bouncing off.  One, that were made of traditional (ordered molecules) rubber bounced high and the other (made of non-ordered molecules) did not.  The question is, does it really translate to skating...  The adult skaters who chimed in, claimed these insoles were wonderful! 

I could see this material being built into the toe area of the boot, since you land jumps on the toe.  I am not sure how much shock absorption is needed when you are not in the process of landing.  The adult skaters said having the insoles makes you feel less tired- could be a placebo effect :-)

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »
Jackson skates have a layered cork sole and the Elite footbed system that are both supposed to increase shock absorption.

I think the Elite footbed system is more comfortable than the SP Teri, but I don't know if it increases shock absorption.  I am overall much happier with these skates, but I don't know if it is because of any increase in shock absorption or just because they fit better.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »
or just because they fit better.

Better fit - happier feet :)  The extra padding under the insole doesn't hurt either.. I was never a fan of the thin sock liners standard in SP Teri.