You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fav Skating Pants/Tights  (Read 6478 times)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Fav Skating Pants/Tights
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
Just wondering what your favorite skating pants/tights are.  I need to buy a couple more pairs and I've been hunting around online.  Found a few with skirts - anyone wear those?

I tend to buy Nike but the last pair I had (hyperwarm with the double waist band) fell apart.  Lulu has been see through and poor quality (more than just the recalled stuff... I doubt I'll ever shop there again).  Those were my go to brands :(  Overall, I don't like low rise.  So that rules about 90% of athletic pants :P

So... what do you wear on the ice?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Fav Skating Pants/Tights
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 06:41:10 PM »
I get the over the heel ones from NYSportswear, love them and a few dollars less than Chloe Noel. I've gotten a few from amazon, so that's convenient.

I also like Under Armour Frosty Tights. And those are good for wearing as long johns on cold days.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
I wear Under Armour pants almost exclusively... I have several different styles, but I like that they're relatively warm and tend to fit well.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »
I wear Old Navy leggings or yoga pants with running tights underneath if it's cold. But I'm glad amy1984 started this thread. Now that I'm working on axels and falling all the time, I want something a bit more water resistant. I'm also kinda craving the over the heel look  :)

Offline amy1984

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
Hmmm.... I have under armour as well but it feels like I'm constantly pulling them up.  Maybe I'll try a different style or size.  I have the cold gear 2.0 ones I think?

Offline amy1984

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 07:30:06 PM »
I wear Old Navy leggings or yoga pants with running tights underneath if it's cold. But I'm glad amy1984 started this thread. Now that I'm working on axels and falling all the time, I want something a bit more water resistant. I'm also kinda craving the over the heel look  :)

I haven't yet found ones that were actually water resistant... My Nike hyper warm ones seemed to be but the waist band fell apart - and it apparently happened on like every pair sold - and now you can't find them.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
I make all my own skating pants - I have warm ones for winter and lighter ones for summer.

I do also have a few pairs of UnderArmour that I wear for running and sometimes to skate in.

For warm and fast to dry - fleece.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
Hmmm.... I have under armour as well but it feels like I'm constantly pulling them up.  Maybe I'll try a different style or size.  I have the cold gear 2.0 ones I think?

I remember going down a size in them when I first bought them.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »
I make all my own skating pants - I have warm ones for winter and lighter ones for summer.

I do also have a few pairs of UnderArmour that I wear for running and sometimes to skate in.

For warm and fast to dry - fleece.

I wish I had sewing skills!  But I'm sure whatever I tried to make wouldn't be fit to wear in public :P

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 07:41:52 PM »
I wish I had sewing skills!  But I'm sure whatever I tried to make wouldn't be fit to wear in public :P

Lol! It took me a while. Plus, I studied fashion design in college. :) Now, I run my own business selling skating apparel.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »
I have two different pairs of Chloe Noel leggings and my favorite are the P19 (http://cherryloop.com/pants/chloe-noel-skating-pants-reversible-2-tone-w-cuff). They have a very high waist band, they don't feel like they're falling down and they seem to be at least a little water resistant.

I also have a pair of leggings from my sprint kayaking days that I like a lot. I got them on deep discount from a dealer who was selling off his stock. When I looked them up, I discovered they were a similar price to the Chloe Noel's so I don't think I'd bother to buy another pair, but they are also nice and high in the rise and water resistant. I also think the side stripe is flattering. (http://www.regattasport.com/products/view/22/c:1 - I guess technically they're men's?)
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 08:25:23 PM »
So I found these at MEC.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/WomensClothing/PantsTights/PRD~5019-897/mec-mercury-tights-womens.jsp
I have another from this brand - the elan tights - and they're pretty comfortable so I think I might try the mercury.  They claim to be warm!  We shall see...
Also, this was on sale....
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/WomensClothing/Cycling/Jerseys/PRD~5026-267/mec-spark-long-sleeve-jersey-womens.jsp
I liked that it was a shirt type of fit instead of a jacket but that it had pockets... because I need somewhere to carry my kleenex lol.

But keep the suggestions coming!  The ones so far are awesome.  I'm for sure going to try out some different under armour tights the next time I'm at Sport Check.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
Any cold weather running tights should work fine for skating :)

I also primarily wear running tees to skate in.. though I'm not fond of anything with a hoodie :)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
I wear Se_ku and Bal  Togs, but  mostly Se_ku.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
I wear Se_ku and Bal  Togs, but  mostly Se_ku.

I've heard of Se_ku, but not Bal Togs.  I looked on their site and there are some nice dance skirts that I will have to keep in mind.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
Any cold weather running tights should work fine for skating :)

I also primarily wear running tees to skate in.. though I'm not fond of anything with a hoodie :)

In theory, yes, they should work.  But I have a pile of ones I don't wear either because I just found that I don't like them/the fit, or they soak up water, or some other issue.  Gah.  Such a waste!  It's nice to see what works for others.

I also own a plethora of running tees.  But our rinks are a little cold for those alone unless it's summer.  So I also own a plethora of yoga-esque work out jackets.  Oy.

Offline DrillingSkills

• Dreaming of Diamond Dances
  • Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 09:07:16 PM »
In the Winter or in colder rinks, I love the Mondor Polartec legggings. They come as plain, over the heel or stirrup, and they're plenty warm with minimal bulk. The Polartec material is a little like fleece, though with some stretch. In warmer months or rinks, I love my LuluLemon Wunder Unders, although I got these before the quality issues started to come up. Finally, for really cold days or days when I'm not moving a lot, I like to wear black legwarmers, to keep my lower legs warm. The Mondor ones are nice since they have a good elastic grip without cutting off circulation, and fit nicely over the heel.

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
In the Winter or in colder rinks, I love the Mondor Polartec legggings. They come as plain, over the heel or stirrup, and they're plenty warm with minimal bulk. The Polartec material is a little like fleece, though with some stretch. In warmer months or rinks, I love my LuluLemon Wunder Unders, although I got these before the quality issues started to come up. Finally, for really cold days or days when I'm not moving a lot, I like to wear black legwarmers, to keep my lower legs warm. The Mondor ones are nice since they have a good elastic grip without cutting off circulation, and fit nicely over the heel.

The pants I make myself are out of stretch fleece - it's 4way stretch with fleecey insides and lycra outsides. Best thing ever for cold rinks and all I wear in the winter. In fact, I've been known to wear them as everyday wear under dresses/tunics in winter because they are so warm!  ;)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
DW got pants she's been happy with from Old Navy for less than $1.  Obviously we don't care if they last.  Probably the price was due to the fact that they did not know they still had them in stock.  She likes the low cut waist and ankle (rather than floor) length leg.  Technically they're "maternity" pants, but nobody can tell they're not intended for skating.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »
Techskater recommended Balera cotton/spandex leggings and I love them. $9.99 at dancewearsolutions. So far they feel great, don't know about durability yet.

DW got pants she's been happy with from Old Navy for less than $1. 

Bargain!

Offline amy1984

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
DW got pants she's been happy with from Old Navy for less than $1.  Obviously we don't care if they last.  Probably the price was due to the fact that they did not know they still had them in stock.  She likes the low cut waist and ankle (rather than floor) length leg.  Technically they're "maternity" pants, but nobody can tell they're not intended for skating.

Wow!  Awesome deal!

Offline amy1984

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »
Techskater recommended Balera cotton/spandex leggings and I love them. $9.99 at dancewearsolutions. So far they feel great, don't know about durability yet.

Bargain!

I will check those out.  For 9.99 you pretty much can't go wrong.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
My absolute favorite is Se_Ku because the waist is more like a yoga pant waist band rather than an elastic band and sits on my hips rather than on my belly button.

Plus they hold up fantastically and they haven't pilled in over a year of use.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 10:57:20 PM »
I will check those out.  For 9.99 you pretty much can't go wrong.

Just took a quick look and they are no longer listed on that website.  :angel:

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 11:52:51 PM »
Just took a quick look and they are no longer listed on that website.  :angel

Are these the ones?  I think these are for $9.99:

http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/SM3002.aspx#ReviewHeader