You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Eclipse Blades  (Read 1648 times)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Eclipse Blades
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »
I recently bought new boots and blades.  Risport RF3's (love them SO MUCH but that's a different topic :P) and Eclipse Mist blades.  I really like the feel of the blades.  They're FAST and you pretty much just have to THINK turn and there you are, in another direction.  I'm jumping higher, spinning faster.  They feel like race cars.  It's awesome.

The only thing I don't like is the noise they make.  They're SUPER loud and I skated on Ultima before (which I've heard people think are loud).  The noise they make on edge bite (when winding up for a spin, landing a jump, etc) makes it sound like I'm wearing hockey skates or something and stopping in no way sounds delicate anymore lol.  It sounds like I'm putting all of my weight/force into even the smallest movement.  What causes this?  The lighter weight metal?  And is it normal?

However, overall, compared to other blades at their level, the price point is great and I'd rec them without a second thought... just curious about the noise.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: Eclipse Blades
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 01:00:31 AM »
I don't know if the blades themselves are "loud," exactly, but all blades do make a different sound when you're riding a good solid edge. They sound crunchy but kind of like they're purring at the same time. I get this sound on my Pattern 99s. Peggy Fleming described it as a "special" sound. Maybe this is what's happening. It could be that you're on a better edge with the new blades, especially since you seem to be doing very well on them.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 02:12:19 AM »
Well, if Peggy Flemming says it's special, I guess I'm okay with it :P

The purring/crunchy analogy is perfect though.  I haven't really ever listened to the noise that anyone else's skates make, but I think I'll certainly be more conscious of it now... I hadn't noticed it at the rink before.  And yes, my edges are certainly stronger, so that could be contributing to it.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:21:36 AM »
Edge rip on edges isn't really a problem. I think sometimes we think it's louder than it is any time that it's "different" - and every blade is unique in the sound that it makes, even comparing two "identical" blades they will often sound different, and you hear it more when it's not something you are as familiar with.. with time you start to tune it out.