You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot/Blade recs and gripes  (Read 3679 times)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Boot/Blade recs and gripes
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:46:43 AM »
Hi,

I'm looking for new boots and blades.  I've been through two sets that I haven't been all that happy with and this time, I'd like to get into a brand/model that works better for me... so I thought I'd enlist some help.  What have you liked about your skates?  What haven't you liked?  Found any skates that are good/bad for certain types of feet?

I'm an adult skater.  Junior Bronze free test in Canada.  I currently have GAM Podium w/ Aspire blades.  Although I'm unhappy with my skates, I would really like a similar heel height.  Anyone know of a good comparison on heel heights?  I googled and didn't come up with much.

One of my friends wears SP Teri and she mentioned that although they are quite expensive for an adult skater, they're the only boots she's had that she hasn't trashed in one season bec. as adults, we tend to be heavier.

As for blades, I've never put much thought into the blades I choose and I figure I probably should.  I'm open to suggestions!

So... any recs?  Anything to stay away from?  I'm all ears!

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
Re: Boot/Blade recs and gripes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »
I wore SP Teri for 14 years.  Based on my own experiences and that of several others I know, they are currently going through a difficult time in terms of manufacturing and customer service, although I'm sure they would claim otherwise.

Can you say why you aren't happy with your skates?  Why do you want a similar heel height?  I switched from SP Teri to Jackson, which has a higher heel, and although there was a period of adjustment, it was minor and I would not consider that a barrier to switching brands.  You can often request a certain heel height if you are ordering a custom boot.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
What about your skates are you unhappy with?  Are they not stiff enough, too stiff, or are you dealing with any specific fit issues?  Do you have a budget you need to stick to?

SP Teri's can be a good option for some skaters but they don't fit every foot - I fit SP Teri fine as a teenager but they don't fit me now (issues with the heel counter).  My experience switching brands (and even switching between Jackson and SP Teri for a while with a pair I was trying out about a year ago) is that you adjust really quickly to the different heel height - it's really no different than adjusting to the rocker on a new pair of blades -  you'll spend a while figuring out where you are on them but it usually works itself out pretty quickly.  I skate in Jackson and I'm very happy with them.

As far as blades, at your level a mid-level freestyle blade, like the Wilson Coronation Ace, MK Professional, or Ultima Legacy would be more appropriate.  You will probably be happier with those than lower level freestyle blades.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  Here's some more info...

I had a pair of Jackson's before this last set of GAM's that made my left foot go numb despite the fitter saying they were my size... something must have hit a nerve and my foot went numb.  Also, I noticed that the heel was a little higher and I wasn't a huge fan of it, but I also probably didn't give it much time to adjust... the numbness made me switch back to my old skates pretty quick :P

I replaced the Jackson's with my old brand, GAM.  At first, I really liked them.  I thought I was just dealing with having to have the blade adjusted, but it's been in every possible position and something still just doesn't feel right.  Especially on the left, it just feels like the boot is pulling at my foot but it's hard to really describe the feeling.  GAM has not been very helpful with this - I could swear to you that the sole is probably warped.  The plate on the blade does not meet the sole properly. Also, I've noticed them breaking down pretty quickly.  I'm a mid sized adult, but I'm pretty hard on my skates and I think that even if my level is fine for the 'Podium' model, maybe the fact that I'm an adult and not a nine year old means that I should be wearing a stiffer boot.  Although it's annoying that the boots are 'wonky', what really makes me not want to go back to GAM is the total lack of customer service.  They haven't even bothered to tell me I'm wrong - they just haven't responded to any of my questions.  Neither myself or the skate shop has been able to get their warranty department to even RESPOND, never mind look at the skates.

Also, in general, I have problems with my heel slipping.  The Jackson's were nice and snug, these recent GAM's are okay, and in Riedell I feel like the skate is going to come off my foot :P

As for ST Teri, if I were to purchase that brand, it would be stock, not custom.  I'm hoping that would eliminate a lot of the problems I've heard people complaining about in terms of ordering custom through SP Teri and other brands.  I'm not sure what's going on right now, whether 'custom' is a dying, not viable, biz option or what, but I've heard of lots of people having probs with getting custom boots with most makers.

As for budget, I wouldn't say I'm unlimited, and I don't want to pay for something I don't need; but within my level, I'm willing to pay for a set of top quality boots this time as long as they'll hold up for a couple of years.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
For riedell you can order split width and there isn't an extra charge unless it's more than 2 changes.  (A/B no charge, AAA/C small charge).

For GAM have you called them directly?     
To contact GAM by phone please call: 1-800-263-1666

Also: What is the warranty on my GAM Skates?

GAM Skates warranties the quality of all figure skates and boots for six months from the date of purchase against defects in material or workmanship under normal use and care. Product found to be defective will be repaired or replaced at our discretion. Repaired product (or replacement product) will carry a six month guarantee from the original date of purchase.
Product appearing to be defective, together with the original sales slip showing date of purchase and a statement of the claimed defect, must be promptly returned to the GAM dealer from whom it was purchased.
ALL WARRANTY CLAIMS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY THE ORIGINAL SALES SLIP.
GAM Skates does not accept responsibility for loss of profits, business, or other consequential damages or costs as a result of the above. 

Offline amy1984

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »
I'd heard that about Riedell and it's another option for sure!

As for GAM, I've pretty much given up, lol.  The dealer I purchased from is new and doesn't seem to really know what to do and to be honest, I'm a little lazy in terms of fighting with GAM.  I'm ready to just get another set of skates.  However, if they are in the GTA, I might show up with my skates when I'm in the area to watch worlds :P

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »
trashed in one season

Unless you're doing triples, this sounds like a symptom of buying a boot that is not stiff enough.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:05:02 AM »
Unless you're doing triples, this sounds like a symptom of buying a boot that is not stiff enough.

She and I are both hard on our skates and skate quite a lot.  Though we're not doing triples, we're larger than the people boots at our level are made for, if that makes sense.  The SP Teri's at her level were the only ones that held up.... At least that's what I took her explanation to mean :)

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
Don't be afraid to move up in boots if you feel like you need more support - I skate in boots much stiffer than my "skill" level would suggest I need and it isn't a problem for me... they broke in quickly and have never felt like "concrete blocks" :)

Offline amy1984

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »
Don't be afraid to move up in boots if you feel like you need more support - I skate in boots much stiffer than my "skill" level would suggest I need and it isn't a problem for me... they broke in quickly and have never felt like "concrete blocks" :)

Do you mind if I ask what you skate in?  I've been asking every adult I know, lol.  When I go to watch worlds, I think I'm going to go to the store in TO and make sure I get properly fitted because I think that's probably what most of the issue is, bit I'd like to go with some idea of what has worked for others.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:11:13 AM »
I'm currently skating in Jackson's Elite Supreme in the 90 stiffness, and I'm working on (but definitely don't have) my axel and doubles.  They have been great for me but I would worry that 90 could be too much for most adult skaters - I've always been hard on boots and my last pair (Elite Plus) were rated at 85, so it wasn't a big jump.  Your Gam's are rated at 65, so I'd think moving up just one boot/stiffness level would be wise, rather than jumping up by more, unless your coach is suggesting it.  In Jackson one level up from what you have would be the regular Elite, in Gam it's the Bronze Label.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »
I'm currently skating in Jackson's Elite Supreme in the 90 stiffness, and I'm working on (but definitely don't have) my axel and doubles.  They have been great for me but I would worry that 90 could be too much for most adult skaters - I've always been hard on boots and my last pair (Elite Plus) were rated at 85, so it wasn't a big jump.  Your Gam's are rated at 65, so I'd think moving up just one boot/stiffness level would be wise, rather than jumping up by more, unless your coach is suggesting it.  In Jackson one level up from what you have would be the regular Elite, in Gam it's the Bronze Label.

Thanks for that info!  I really have no clue about the stiffness of boots, etc., so your advice is very helpful :)