You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Getting back into Figure Skating  (Read 5840 times)

Offline GlitzandGlam

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Getting back into Figure Skating
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
Hi there everyone!

This is my first post here, and I could really use some advice.
I'm almost a young adult(18 in 5 months) and the last time I did figure skating was about approx 4 years ago, which doesn't feel so long, but at the same time.. it is.

I played with the idea of getting back into figure skating for close to two years, and I finally feel ready to take the plunge, I grew up skating and put my life into it practically.
My dad feels like as though I'm to old to figure skate anymore, but I strongly disagree, I may not be a huge star, and I won't set the bar that high, but I'm still young enough at the same time to catch up. A bit of background is that when I wasn't skating, I was horse back riding which is another sport i contributed alot of my time, money and energy too and now I am giving that up to go back to Figure Skating, something that is almost like breathing to me, But my dad has continuously persisted that I have a career with horses, and I ride a different style, and I feel like it just isn't me anymore.

When I left, it was due to my dad not affording it, but I at least made it up to star skate, so I'm hoping to at least take refreshers with my coaches and then be moved back up, my terminology is well, next to non existent now except for maybe, shoot the duck, etc.

So anyways, now that I feel ready to get on with who I really am, I need help. I am definitely out of shape for figure skating, my friend who was an amazing figure skater (did it year around, grew up doing it, and could have become a professional) suggested that I start running and to start off with 1 mile, and work my way up, to stretch daily and not cheat. Plus a tons of other tips so that I can excel and get where I want to be.

Is there any other tips that I can get ? In the process of getting ready for figure skating, how can I change my diet ? I'm an Ovo Lacto Vegetarian, I would also like to really change how my stomach is, because once I stopped skating, I lost the body slightly, I'm still skinny, But I don't have a flat stomach anymore, and that would be a goal for me.

your help will be so appreciated, and support ! :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Getting back into Figure Skating
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
I think really you just have to get out there and start skating.  Warm up, stretch, put on skates and skate. 

Offline GlitzandGlam

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »
But is there any type of exercises so that I can get back up to par on how I used to be before I stopped skating ?
I do think I just have to go and skate, so I will be getting lessons again.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
My daughter is returning after an injury.  Until she could skate, she did off ice with her coach - a similar program would be a gym "Boot Camp".  She couldn't do any single jumps off ice because of an injury.  So it was push ups, stretches, sit ups, light weights, and lots of cardio.

She is not at before injury status, but once she could skate we went back to skating several times a week.  She does a lot of speed drills on ice - imho skating does more for her than a "program".  When she runs she runs for about 30-60 minutes, with skating she can work hard for 2 hours.  It's because she would rather be on the ice. 

Let skating help get you in shape. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
Let skating help get you in shape. 

Agreed - anything you do off ice can at best only augment your on-ice training, it really can't duplicate or replace it.

So just get out there and have fun :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
Yes, you need to get back on the ice.  In the meantime ... in reference to your "got up to Starskate" - I would assume that means you're at the pre-pre or pre stage? 

Until and as you get back on the ice:
a) improve core: not just stomach, but, your entire core girdle.
b) Stretch to get your flexibility back.
c) Wall sits to get you ready for sit spins.
d) Interval training. Running is good, but, skating is more an interval sport - intense bursts of exercise at high burden.
e) Watch youtube videos of skating skills, jumps etc to refresh your memory of what the techniques are.

If you're really serious and intense and want to do something with a lot of focus - check out a book called Conditioning for Figure Skaters  - it is excellent and will keep you well-occupied.

BTW: If you've been riding, you probably have decent leg strength!

If you're healthy on your diet, then don't worry about it. If you're a basic intro level Starskater, then, you're not looking at the type of training a high level Starskater or a comp skater will be doing ... it'll be exercise, definitely, but not brutally demanding on your body. And that's a healthy diet anyways, as long as you're watching to make sure all of your protein, etc requirements are met.

Offline GlitzandGlam

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
I would be pre stage, but when I get back I would be thrown back into Star skate and I would really like to get into groove fast so that I can start doing competitions.

Thank you very much ! I will definitely do those things in the mean time prior to skating, also thank you for the book recommendation, even though I am not  that high up in levels, I would like to do progress as much as possible :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:28 AM »
I would be pre stage, but when I get back I would be thrown back into Star skate and I would really like to get into groove fast so that I can start doing competitions.

Thank you very much ! I will definitely do those things in the mean time prior to skating, also thank you for the book recommendation, even though I am not  that high up in levels, I would like to do progress as much as possible :)

Okay, so, that would mean that you've passed the Preliminary freeskate. There have been changes to the Well Balanced Program for Pre since you last skated. You should check them out.  You need to be able to do a backspin, spirals on both legs, and I believe a loop ... depending on how long ago it is since you last competed, it may be quite different for you. My DD's Pre programs (she was Pre about 4/5 years ago) would never be acceptable now.

Here's a link to COS for the WBP requirements for StarSkate, and other useful "stuff"

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Coaches/COS%20tech%20Info.htm

Offline GlitzandGlam

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
Thank you :)