You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boots leaving outlines  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Reese515

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Boots leaving outlines
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
My feet fell between widths in Riedell skates. I was fit at a pro shop and  I was told it was better to have the boots be snug rather than loose so I got the narrower pair.  I get some pains in my arches and bottom of feet but they go away after I put my regular shoes back on. The pain is not crippling so I keep skating - its just more of a nuisance I notice when I'm not focused on moves.  I also get some tingling in my heels which also goes away after I put my regular shoes back on. But what I noticed today was the tongue of the boots left an outline on the front of my shins on each side and on the bottom of my feet there's also an outline where I can see where the bottom of my skates meet my feet. Does that mean the skates are too narrow or tight? The skates are Silver Stars 355. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Boots leaving outlines
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Do you notice the same lines after taking off a well fitting pair of tennis shoes?  If so, then it's probably nothing to worry about - EVERYTHING leaves marks on my skin like that, so it's not always a good indication of "too tight" :)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
My boots have always left a temporary mark.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »
Your pro shop is right, it is better to be snug than to be loose. Are your boots new or used? Have you considered heat molding?

Offline Reese515

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »
They are fairly new and still breaking in (I think) but I've started skating barefoot so maybe that's why I'm noticing the marks? The outline goes around my heel proportionately but towards the side of the ball of the foot, the outline is more on the bottom of my foot than on the side which made me wonder if they're too narrow. The pro shop told me this model (it was a discontinued model) can't be heat molded because it would cause premature breakdown. He gave me a waxy substance to rub on them and told me to massage the top of the boot and work it with my hands to soften it.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
I would see if having them stretched or punched would help.