You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Which Riedell skate for taking lessons?  (Read 2307 times)

Offline skatenew

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Which Riedell skate for taking lessons?
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
Hi everyone:)

I need your help, I think it's almost impossible to find good information on the different skates out there, and where I live they only sell the cheap sportstore type. I've skated since I was a kid, but only in winter as we had no indoor icerink. But now that I'm 18 we do :) Only my boots are too small.

With my old skates I managed smiple spins and tricks but I love skating and learn fast. I would like to do jumps and train regularly.

I've been looking at the Riedelll intermeidate ones in the instructional series. I wonderd if anyone had any experience with these? I was thinking of either 255 TS laides or 229 TS. What do you think?

Thanks you so much :)

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
Re: Which Riedell skate for taking lessons?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
What level are you currently training on? If you're around Basic 1-8 the 255ts's might be a bit stiff for you..IMO. But some people like a stiffer skate, so it's just a matter of personal preference. If you're around Basic 1-8 I would suggest the Riedell 133ts. These aren't too stiff, but just stiff enough to give you good support. If you're freeskate 1-4 I would suggest the 255's.  ;)
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »
What level are you currently training on? If you're around Basic 1-8 the 255ts's might be a bit stiff for you..IMO. But some people like a stiffer skate, so it's just a matter of personal preference. If you're around Basic 1-8 I would suggest the Riedell 133ts. These aren't too stiff, but just stiff enough to give you good support. If you're freeskate 1-4 I would suggest the 255's.  ;)

One thing to add is bodyweight. If you're heavier, you're gonna wanna go stiffer. I'm a 195lb male, and I feel perfectly at home in the stiffest boots Edea makes, even working on basic footwork and only doing waltz jumps. So that's something to add to the equation, too, your bodyweight. If you're lighter, you can get away with a less stiff boot, if you're heavier, even if the boot feels OK on you, it'll break down faster. Like my old boots felt fine on me, but they broke down very fast regardless. They were on paper, perfect for my skill level, but in practice they broke down quickly.

Offline skatenew

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
Thank u for the help :) I don't know which level on, I've never taken lessons. That's why it's so hard to figure this out:p
I'm like 116 Ibs? Is that suitalble for the less stiff boots?

More answars would be great :D

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
Don't get the Riedell 255's - you don't need that much support since you're not really jumping or spinning.  They'll be too stiff for you and you will have a hard time breaking them in since you haven't skated in a while and before that, you had very soft skates.

At your level and weight, I'd say the Riedell 133's are a better model for you.  If you train regularly and take lessons, they'll last up through the freestyle jumps and spins.  If you're just going to fool around and do "tricks," they'll last even longer. 

If you get to the point of working on single jumps, then the 255's are an option. Until then, save your money and get the 133's.

The Riedell 133's are equivalent to the Jackson Classique model, if you wanted another option from a different manufacturer.
Both have PVC soles and heels, so there's no maintenance.  The blades are better than recreational skates for turns and spins and they're good for beginning jumps.  Recreational skate blades are terrible for all three!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline skatenew

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »
Thank u so much! That was very helpful :)