You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot comparable to old Reidell "Gold" boots (from mid 90s)  (Read 3001 times)

Offline jgraham44

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Boot comparable to old Reidell "Gold" boots (from mid 90s)
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »
Hi all,

I've just started skating again, using my old boots that were purchased back in 1995 or so.  I only knew them as the "Reidell Gold" version (back when the next model up was the Royal)... does anyone know what these boots are comparable to in today's models? 

I'm currently working on lutzes and loop-loops, and want to know if I need better boots.

Thanks!

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
Re: Boot comparable to old Reidell "Gold" boots (from mid 90s)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Hmm....can't seem to find anything on Riedell Gold Boots... If your doing lutzes, loop,loops, etc. and if you wanna stick with Riedell, I would suggest the 43TS,110LS, or the 255ts. (Listed from most expensive, to least) I'm wearing 43ts's and doing doubles, they were really stiff to break in for me, but that can vary by the skater's weight as well. The 110LS's have a lower neck, so you have increased "tope-Pointing power." The 255's have the traditional neck like the 43's, but they aren't as stiff. Hope this helps.  :D
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
Was it the gold star or the gold medallions?  I think the gold star was the model just under the royals... they discontinued it for a few years but did bring it back... however it's a top level boot and may be more than you need now.

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
Must have been the Gold Star boot (yes, and next up is the Royals). They did bring it back as the Gold Star Classic, but I think the price point seems to be higher.

It sounds like you can go with the 435TS. If you need something stiffer, then you can consider the 875TS.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »
Love the GoldStars, both the original ones just before they dicontinued them, and the revisited/reissued ones. 

If they worked, the 435s will be too lite; the 875 is slightly stiffer. My DD was in GoldStars at the same jump level: strong stroking, long legs, powerful knee bend.  Went to the 875s when they discontinued the GoldStars initially.

They did revamp the Gold Stars from what you remember: they'll be a bit lighter, and, I believe, a bit lower cut on the ankle.

Offline jgraham44

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »
Mu current boots feel okay to me, a little on the soft side if anything.  I tried on someone else's skates, which were Jackson somethings (don't know the model, but they were paired with Gold Seal blades so they're definitely not entry-level), and when I put mine back on they felt much less stiff.  I guess I just wanted to have reassurance that they weren't too low for what I'm doing now, as I have to buy new blades and don't really want to pony up for new boots right now.

I'll stick with what I have for now, and think about the 435s or 875s for the future (since my boots right now are definitely not too stiff, and i'm an adult on the heavy side).

Now off to ponder blades...

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »
Blades have changed a lot in the last 15 years.. you have more options now than you did back then.  Jackson's line of blades is quite capable, and much cheaper than their MK or Wilson equivalents.  Riedell also has their own line of blades that are pretty nice, though pricing on them is pretty close to MK and Wilson.

What blades are on your old boots?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »
I had the Reidel Gold Stars back in the 90s also - Boots are WAY different now then they were back then - they make them a lot stiffer and so this is what you might have been experiencing with your friend's boots.

So a lot of us adults who have been skating a long time started wearing the newer stiffer boots but mostly nobody I know likes them that much and so they have sometimes been able to get a softer boot made as a custom boot (these are Harlicks but still) -

So what I am saying is that if like your old boots and can skate in them then you should hold onto them because it is possible you won't like the "equivalent" boots that are new - they are not really equivalent...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »
Dante Cozzi sports has "older model" Gold Star boots on clearance:

http://www.cozzisports.com/dcsports_349.htm

I don't know how old they are, but the price is good and I'm sure if you contacted them, they could tell you if the boots are the same model as your skates.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jgraham44

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »
You're all right - they're definitely Gold Stars!   I went to the Pro shop at my rink, put them on the counter and asked the guy if he knew what kind of skates they were.. took him about half a second to say "Gold Stars".  He then felt the ankle area, and continued with "probably from 1994".

Um yeah, dead on... call me impressed!!

(I'm sticking with the boots, just buy Riedell Ecllipse Mist blades.  I'll be posting about those separately)