You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Buying new skates - Jackson Freestyle vs. Premiere  (Read 14310 times)

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Buying new skates - Jackson Freestyle vs. Premiere
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
I have heard that if you can do everything the first few days the boots were never stiff enough, but every boot fitter I've been to seems to have a different idea of what stiffness to put everyone in. I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your new boots!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »
The OP tied the skates tightly at the start, but then relaced them more loosely, which gave her more knee room.  She's skated one session and declared that the boots are "broken in."  That's impossible.  I think that, given her ability to do single jumps and sit/camel spins in the old rec skates, she has great balance and strength.  The additional support and lower-cut boot are advantages that are letting her skate well from the start in stiffer skates.  It doesn't mean the skates aren't stiff enough. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Technically, what qualifies the skates as "broken in"?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
Technically, if they provide support without impinging forward ankle bend.  They also have to be molded to the foot, which heat-molding expedites. 

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »
She's skated one session and declared that the boots are "broken in."  That's impossible.
That is my point though. I'm not trying to say that oh I've broken in my boots already, I'm saying that I felt like they didn't need breaking in at all.
For example, a skater who has just started skating would need to break in their new Jackson Classique boots. However, a skater who has already gone way up to say Jackson Elites, probably would not need to break in a new pair of Classiques at all, because even at its stiffest, they're not as stiff as a broken-in Elite. I'm totally exaggerating in this example here, I know I am no where near to being in an Elite, I'm just trying to explain my point.
I also do not think that my new boots are not stiff enough, I'm pretty sure they are adequate. I'm merely wondering if the fact that I have no trouble breaking them in means I'll be breaking them down sooner than a year. If there's no straight answer to that, then don't worry it doesn't really matter, it's not like I can change anything, and I'm satisfied with the boots as they are now. Just wanted to be prepared.

The additional support and lower-cut boot are advantages that are letting her skate well from the start in stiffer skates.  It doesn't mean the skates aren't stiff enough. 
Actually, the new boots aren't lower-cut. I put them together and they look pretty much the same (of course, I'm just eyeballing it, so I could be slightly wrong).

Technically, if they provide support without impinging forward ankle bend.  They also have to be molded to the foot, which heat-molding expedites. 
See it never impinged my forward ankle bend at all. They don't quite fit my feet as comfortably as the old boots did though, so that still requires some breaking in on that end.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »
Good luck with your new skates.

Offline Janie

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
Thank you :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
I could do everything pretty much right away in the last 3 "new" pairs of boots I've skated in.. the usual method I have is to get comfortable with some moves, then spins, then jumps, and in fact my Elite Supremes had much more immediate forward knee bend than my old Elite Plus did when new.  I think the double flex notches make the difference there though, as they are technically stiffer than my old boots.

I think the "ability" to do anything in new boots has a lot to do with technique and confidence (combined with not being afraid to fall) than the stiffness of the boots.

Offline Janie

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 03:21:33 AM »
Thank you sarahspins! That was very helpful! I was so used to seeing everyone having a bad time breaking in new skates that I wondered if it was abnormal to not need to. Glad to know someone to have the same situation and to be still fine with their boots.
Thanks again :love:

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 04:46:22 PM »
There is also something to be said for the difference between 'adjusting' to new skates and 'breaking in' new skates - those two things are not the same but I think they're often used interchangeably.  Adjusting to a new heel height or different/newer rocker profile can be very difficult for some skaters, even if the boots themselves are not causing any problems or pain.   My opinion is that sometimes you get lucky, and other times it takes much more time and tweaking to get things "just right".