You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How long until my fingers harden?  (Read 7368 times)

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
How long until my fingers harden?
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:38:38 AM »
I've currently got nylon/cotton blend laces. They're about 3/4 months old but they still stretch so I'm having to re-tie them once/twice per session.

On Friday, I ended up re-tying 3 times (blood on the ice, Sophie goes walkies until it's gone..... and since I'd just had a super-de-duper-dee sharpen I changed in to my trainers and back again) and my finger looked BAD.
After yesterday, my finger looks SUPER BAD (don't want to give more info just in case anyone's squeamish!).

I've been skating with cheapo/Risport/these laces for 18 months and I was wondering when my fingers will eventually harden?
If they haven't done by now, should I wait it out or just buy cotton (when I can find some and afford the postage etc)?

I'm a bass guitar player so I know it takes a while for your fingers to harden but I don't know if it's a lost cause!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: How long until my fingers harden?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »
There are 2 differing thoughts on this:  thicker laces or thinner laces.
The argument for thicker is that the pressure is more distributed over your fingers (Cotton) and thinner laces tend to cut easier.
The argument for thinner is that they slide in and out of eyelets easier, thus you don't have to pull as hard (nylon or blend)

I am of the latter camp, having gone with bloody fingers for a few months after tying my thick cotton laces that came with my Riedells.  Then I switched to thinner laces and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
While bloody and blistery, I used white adhesive medical tape over my fingers when lacing.  It is flexible and protects the skin. 

Are your boots properly fitting?  If you have more room around the ankle than needed, you may have to retie a lot more. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »
Are your boots properly fitting?  If you have more room around the ankle than needed, you may have to retie a lot more. 

Agreed, and the other thing I thought of is that maybe you're not tying them snug enough to start with.  Using a lace hook (about $2 from most pro shops) may help you snug them up more without tearing up your hands.

I think some people are just more naturally prone to developing calluses - just because you aren't developing them doesn't necessarily mean much because you may never get them.

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
These are the laces:

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a464/angelgirls29/7233f8dd.jpg

I'm not sure if they're thin or thick (they're not as thick as the waterproof hockey ones I've got?).

My boots fit 90-95% well - it depends on my joints on the day but I don't think I could get a better fit unless I got custom skates with custom insoles that weren't straight!
One problem I have had, though, is that i'm not sure I've actually broken the skates in  :blush:
My coach is not very good at this kind of stuff and he's surprised at how much 'stuff' I've got in my skates.

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:34:57 AM »
Agreed, and the other thing I thought of is that maybe you're not tying them snug enough to start with.  Using a lace hook (about $2 from most pro shops) may help you snug them up more without tearing up your hands.
I have got one somewhere but I'm not 100% sure how to use it - can you use it to tighten on the hooks?

I think some people are just more naturally prone to developing calluses - just because you aren't developing them doesn't necessarily mean much because you may never get them.
That's the interesting thing - I hardly ever mark - my OH gets bruises/marks on his skin all the time and he doesn't feel it, I feel it but I can't see it!

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »
I would never tolerate bloody fingers or blisters from lacing my skates. I've seen bloodstains on my coach's laces, so I know this is a common problem, but I simply refuse to let it go that far. I use a lace hook. They're very easy to use and essential since I have arthritis in my fingers.

First, pull your laces to remove any slack, but don't pull so hard that it hurts your fingers. Then, start at your toes and snag the laces with the hook at the point where they cross over each other. Pull the laces snug and work your way up toward your ankle. Repeat if necessary, again starting at the toes and working your way up to the ankle. Make sure you pull extra hard right at the curve under the speed hooks.

I like to use that special knot (surgeon's knot?) at the ankle, before the speed hooks, to keep the laces from loosening. You wrap the laces over each other, as you would when starting to tie a bow, but instead of just wrapping once, you wrap twice, and pull tight. This forms a "lock" that helps keep the laces snug at the ankle. Then you lace your speed hooks. Doing this makes a big difference! The one time I forgot, I had to quit and go re-lace my skates after just a few minutes of skating, because they'd loosened enough that I felt uncomfortable.

You don't use the lace hook on your speed hooks, because those aren't meant to be laced tight. You have to be able to bend at the ankle, so your speed hooks should be laced just tight enough to remove any slack, so your tongue doesn't come loose, but not so tight that it hurts your fingers to lace them. You should be able to fit two fingers into the back at your ankle. If you can't do that, your ankles are laced too tight.

You could also try putting band-aids on your fingers before you lace your skates. Not the knuckle kind, but regular band-aids, with the little pad over the sore spot on your finger. It should act as a cushion to prevent further injury to your fingers while you lace. Just keep a box of cheap, generic band-aids in your skate bag and put fresh ones on whenever you lace your skates.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
I am of the latter camp, having gone with bloody fingers for a few months after tying my thick cotton laces that came with my Riedells.  Then I switched to thinner laces and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
While bloody and blistery, I used white adhesive medical tape over my fingers when lacing.  It is flexible and protects the skin. 
I'm the other way round -  Riedell laces = slight calluses but no bleeding, Thinner nylon/cotton ones (emergency buy from rink when mine broke - A+R ??) = 4 fingers in shreds and went through a box of plasters before I managed to get a pair of Riedell ones again! I now have a couple of pairs of Riedell ones just in case. ;D

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
I don't lace my own skates (I don't skate!) but years of doing my kid's skates, and the skates of all of the little LTS kids whose parents have never done up a figure skate, I've got permanent calluses on the sides of my fingers. 

Looking at the laces you have - they do look like the ones that cut fingers to bits. The ones I like are Braidlace, or the ones that Klingbeil supplies with skates, or Jerry's ones.  I find the Jerry's ones to wear very well and they're easy to use. The ones that Harlick uses sliced up fingers because they stretched out so thin.

I tried to use a lace tightener, but, found it very difficult to get the "tightness" exactly equal on each side as I wasn't pulling on the sides at the same time.  Maybe if I'd persevered :)

I do second the surgeon's knot below the hooks. Also, try going "over" the hook and then back down instead of "under the hook" and across. It seems to hold the laces more securely.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
I tried to use a lace tightener, but, found it very difficult to get the "tightness" exactly equal on each side as I wasn't pulling on the sides at the same time.  Maybe if I'd persevered :)

Just pull at the point where the laces cross over each other. Then you'll be pulling both laces evenly, at the same time.  :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
I see what you're getting at, but, that didn't work for me, as it pulls "up" instead of "across", which didn't get the stress properly on the boot in terms of pulling the lace into place on the angle flat to the boot, and then, when the lace tightener is released, the lace sort of "slides" back again. Could just be my basic lack of coordination ... I've never seen anyone use one or attempt to use one other than my few pathetic attempts back in the day, so, that likely contributes to my ineptness.

Boots "for us" with our coach are laced excruciatingly tightly around the foot; there is no give or play allowed at all in the lace (if the lace can be shifted with the finger at all, even minimally, or if the tension isn't exact) - the skater has to relace the skates.  Granted, this means that the boots fit nicely, and, now that we have one in custom Harlicks, where the "pulling of the skate around the foot" is critical, I'm glad that the technique is there.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »
Using a hook on someone else's skates is awkward, especially if you're facing the skater.  You really have to be looking down on the boot to pull up on the laces with a hook - maybe if you held the leg across your lap, it might be easier.  I've only used a hook to tighten skates for hockey kids - the waxed laces are too slippery.

Instad, I always use a hook to unlace my skates.  I used to coach outdoors and trying to pick at the tightened laces hurt, so using the hook along the sides (where there's an opening) is a much faster/less painful way to unlace.

With or without the hook, after you pull up the slack to one set of eyelets, put your thumb over the now-tight laces below.  (right at the cross part)  Press down to hold the tension while you use your other to grab and pull the higher laces up tight.  I find that placing one finger on the laces, then pulling the loop above tight is enough tension to prevent it from loosening up when I let go with the thumb.  It helps to pull on the lace that goes "over" at the crosspoint.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 05:12:33 AM »
Looking at the laces you have - they do look like the ones that cut fingers to bits. The ones I like are Braidlace, or the ones that Klingbeil supplies with skates, or Jerry's ones.  I find the Jerry's ones to wear very well and they're easy to use. The ones that Harlick uses sliced up fingers because they stretched out so thin.
I think the Harlick ones are like the Risport ones - they seemed to be getting thinner and thinner.
Jerry's - is that an online store?

I do second the surgeon's knot below the hooks. Also, try going "over" the hook and then back down instead of "under the hook" and across. It seems to hold the laces more securely.
Oh I do the over,under!

Boots "for us" with our coach are laced excruciatingly tightly around the foot; there is no give or play allowed at all in the lace (if the lace can be shifted with the finger at all, even minimally, or if the tension isn't exact) - the skater has to relace the skates.  Granted, this means that the boots fit nicely, and, now that we have one in custom Harlicks, where the "pulling of the skate around the foot" is critical, I'm glad that the technique is there.
That's how my coach likes them, hence why I have to get them so tight.

Did i read somewhere that you should sand down/remove the corner of the (circular....) hook?

Oh and I've also found that where I've hurt my finger is where I hold the wool when knitting....  >:(

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »
Jerry's is a brand name for skating supplies; they make dresses, etc.  They also have a basic line of skating supplies, like blade covers and that, and laces. There are plain ones, and, if you're feeling extravagant and/or flashy, the ones with the rhinestones on the toe portion.  My girls have been using them for years, as their one small indulgence to flash and bling on the ice. 

Offline bambucci

• Teacher | Learner
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
Agreed!  My Harlick laces tore my fingers up.  I found my old SPTeris and pulled out the cotton laces to replace the thin nylon pair. 
β€œIn three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »
It could be more of a fit issue, and less of a lace issue. I know in my old hockey skates, I'd need them super duper tight to have my feet not move, I thought a size 8 skate in CCM would fit me, then I tried on newer CCMs (after I switched to figure) and found out I was more of a 7, and with the size 7s, I'd not have to pull crazy tight to get them tight on my ankles. I'd get crazy blistered trying to lace my hockey skates up, but since my figure skates fit better, I never really had to go crazy tight on them like I did with the hockey skates.

Another thing you can try if you're not doing it already is lacing like this: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/overunderlacing.htm Rather than doing it like this: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/crisscrosslacing.htm Criss-cross, what happens is, it's easier on normal shoes to just pull up on the laces and get them tight, but on skates, since you're pulling each set of laces, what happens is, with over-under, you lock the laces with each set of eyelets. So if your skates are criss cross laced, you're gonna be pulling to retighten the laces that should be locked.

As far as lace material, it depends. The stock laces on my Jacksons were thinner, and honestly didn't "lock" as good, and I did get a tiny bit more blistered with them compared to my current laces, which are an unknown brand of figure skating laces that are slightly thicker. But check out your fit and lacing methods first before blaming it on the laces itself or your hands not being tough enough.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
I like to use that special knot (surgeon's knot?) at the ankle, before the speed hooks, to keep the laces from loosening. You wrap the laces over each other, as you would when starting to tie a bow, but instead of just wrapping once, you wrap twice, and pull tight. This forms a "lock" that helps keep the laces snug at the ankle.
Thank you for posting this! I've done this knot the last two times I've skated, and it's a lifesaver. I was wrapping the laces over each other once and usually had to re-lace at least once in an hour of freestyle, but I skated for two hours today with them wrapped like this and never had to re-lace.

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 06:23:49 AM »
Thank you for your replies!
Lots of things to try!

Supra - I lace the first way (I think!) as that's how the skates came and I've just done it that way since.

With the surgeon's knot, do you wrap twice around the bunny ear? (If you get what I mean.... I was taught to make bunny ears.....)
I'll try that this week to see whether it keeps them tight.

Otherwise, I'll get some Jerrys laces!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 09:12:40 AM »
With the surgeon's knot, do you wrap twice around the bunny ear? (If you get what I mean.... I was taught to make bunny ears.....)
I'll try that this week to see whether it keeps them tight.
I could have misunderstood Orianna, but I didn't make bunny ears. At the point just before I began wrapping the laces around my hooks, I pulled the laces tight, then crossed the left one over the right and put it through the loop created by the laces crossed over each other. Then I took the lace that was now on the right and tucked it into the loop again and pulled tight.

I found this wikipedia article on the surgeon's knot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon%27s_knot

My knot looked like that one but without the extra loop on top. I guess you could do the extra loop, but it seems like with skate laces you'd end up with a knot that'd be hard to untie at the end.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Because dd pulls the laces down, not up, her fingers aren't harder and she uses the laces that came with the skates (Riedell) and a pair that had a blue and white paper over them.

She does the double tie at the last eyelet before going to the hooks.  At the last hook she ties them, put the loops over the last hooks, pulls the tails until the loops are no longer loops and ties them again.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »
I could have misunderstood Orianna, but I didn't make bunny ears. At the point just before I began wrapping the laces around my hooks, I pulled the laces tight, then crossed the left one over the right and put it through the loop created by the laces crossed over each other. Then I took the lace that was now on the right and tucked it into the loop again and pulled tight.

I found this wikipedia article on the surgeon's knot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon%27s_knot

My knot looked like that one but without the extra loop on top. I guess you could do the extra loop, but it seems like with skate laces you'd end up with a knot that'd be hard to untie at the end.

You don't make bunny ears. You're only doing the first part of the bow-tying, where you wrap the laces over each other and pull tight. Only in this case, you wrap twice instead of once. You do not make the extra knot on top that the Wikipedia article shows. When tying shoes, you cross the laces, pull one under the other, then pull snug and proceed with bunny ears. In this case, you cross the laces and wrap one over the other twice, then pull snug and continue lacing. Hope that makes sense!

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 04:19:27 AM »
You don't make bunny ears. You're only doing the first part of the bow-tying, where you wrap the laces over each other and pull tight. Only in this case, you wrap twice instead of once. You do not make the extra knot on top that the Wikipedia article shows. When tying shoes, you cross the laces, pull one under the other, then pull snug and proceed with bunny ears. In this case, you cross the laces and wrap one over the other twice, then pull snug and continue lacing. Hope that makes sense!
That does thank you!
One day I'll grow up and call it a loop or something but at the moment they're still bunny ears!

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »
The traditional "bunny ears" method is where you make two loops and tie them together, yes? I was actually taught to tie my laces the other way, but it still involves bunny ears. I was told: The fox chases the bunny around the tree and under the log--did he catch the rabbit? Nope, bunny ears! (One loop is the tree, you wrap the lace around it, which is the fox chasing the rabbit around the tree. Going under the log is pulling the lace through the new loop that's formed by wrapping the lace around. Pull tight and you end up with two loops, which are the "bunny ears.")

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »
I've been skating five years and have insignificant calluses. My secret is that rather than pull up on the laces, I pull them either 'out' (away from the boot horizontally), or 'down' (towards the blade). Yes it works. And it helps keep away arch pain too. It just takes a little practice to get the tension right.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 04:22:54 AM »
The traditional "bunny ears" method is where you make two loops and tie them together, yes? I was actually taught to tie my laces the other way, but it still involves bunny ears. I was told: The fox chases the bunny around the tree and under the log--did he catch the rabbit? Nope, bunny ears! (One loop is the tree, you wrap the lace around it, which is the fox chasing the rabbit around the tree. Going under the log is pulling the lace through the new loop that's formed by wrapping the lace around. Pull tight and you end up with two loops, which are the "bunny ears.")
That's how I was taught by my neighbour! (The same rhyme)
I couldn't remember it but that's it!
I make one bunny ear and put a single thing through which turns into a double thing to make the other ear.

I've been skating five years and have insignificant calluses. My secret is that rather than pull up on the laces, I pull them either 'out' (away from the boot horizontally), or 'down' (towards the blade). Yes it works. And it helps keep away arch pain too. It just takes a little practice to get the tension right.
I was told not to pull up as that's how the leather rips and to only pull when you've done the first hook.
I don't generally do this, I usually pull up  :blush:
I'll try out and down today! (Been of the ice a week as I injured my knee)