You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates causing lots of pain around ankle?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Skates causing lots of pain around ankle?
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
I currently skate in the Jackson Competitor, and I love them. But they are starting to cause a lot of pain (and an indentation) on my leg at the top of the boot. when I bend my knee or walk, I can feel it. No cuts of blisters, just pressure pain. Everything else with the skates is fine and thats the only place I feel pain.
Is this a common problem? how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Skates causing lots of pain around ankle?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »
Do you wear gel sleeves like Silipos or Bunga?  Competitor has a rough edge around the top of the boot (I have scars from the cuts...) 

That might help a bit. 
Of course, if it is only pressure pain, it may just be you are tying your laces too tight.  Have you tried loosening the top?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
I agree, if it's along the top edge I'd try bunga/silipos ankle sleeves.  There's not really anything else you can do to "fix" it other than to change boots, but if this is the only issue you're having, the bungas should be all you need to fix it :)

If it's pressure from the ankle portion of the skate itself, the other possibility is that you're lacing too tightly because the boot isn't supportive enough for your skating, OR the boot isn't correctly sized for your foot (and you're lacing tightly to stop the heel from slipping).

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »
I had trouble with my Riedells doing this. The problem was that my ankle angles backward, while the skate's ankle angled forward. The stiff leather wins over soft flesh anytime, so it cut into the back of my ankle. I was concerned about permanent damage to my achilles tendon, so I wore a pair of Bunka gel sleeves, which blunted the edge of the skate, but it still bothered me. It eased when I bent my knees and leaned forward, as if skating, so it wasn't too bad while skating, except I couldn't do pivots, because I couldn't bend my foot the right way.

I got a different pair of skates, so I don't know if there's anything they can do for it. Maybe stretch the leather? Or maybe sew a band of padding around the edge of the ankle? I honestly don't know. Do check to see if you're lacing too tight at the ankle, though. I've been told that you should be able to fit two fingers into the back of your ankle. If you can't, then you may be lacing too snugly at the top.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »
Well, just thought I'd throw in an update.
The pain has gotten much much worse, and I'm starting to thing that it's an injury. I;ve skated in these skates for months with no problem, so I find it odd the problem is just now arising. There is a tone of swelling (and some minor bruising) and the pain is extending further up my leg. Tomorrow I'm going to get it looked at :( When I think more about it, I hadn't had this pain until started working on flips and lutzes more with more speed. The pain is on the leg I pick and land with, so perhaps the two are related...
I'll post an update after I see the doc. Thanks for the help everyone~

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »
I hadn't had this pain until started working on flips and lutzes more with more speed. The pain is on the leg I pick and land with, so perhaps the two are related...

I did not realize my boots were oversized until I started loop / flip jumps, which led to bothersome ankle pains for the landing leg. Good luck with doc!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
Wear Socks!

Don't laugh. I've watched a lot of skaters at my favorite rink complain of foot pain after skating in no socks, or socks shorter than their skates.

If - sigh - that doesn't solve the problem, the other posters make sense.

A good Doc will know what to look for. So might a good skate technician.

Just curious - is it in the front, the back, the inside, or the outside? And how uniform is the pressure there - is it concentrated at one point?

If the boots aren't too small, and aren't laced too tight, does the boot provide more support (i.e., stiffness) than you actually need?

Muscles and ligaments are great at taking tension along their length, but are not good at taking much compression. The cells can literally burst. It's especially evil if it happens in the Achilles tendon. That's one of the reasons some skaters like boots that are cut low in the back. Even some freestyle skaters want a little lower boots, especially in back, than they used to.

BTW, have you considered a different sport for a while?

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
Went to the doctor, verdict is peronial (spelling?) tendonitis. Ny doctor thinks that it was caused by over exertion brought on possibly the lutz and flip jumps, especially since my practice times have nearly tripled.

As far as trying another sport, I came to this sport from another sport. I was a ballerina for 12 years before switching to skating. Now I've skated for a year and would hate to leave this sport too :(

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
Last year, I was diagnosed with tendonitis of the biceps tendons (both of them). Make sure you get physical therapy if your doctor recommends it--I can't stress this enough! I waited before going to the doctor, putting up with the pain in my shoulders for several months, until I finally realized that something was seriously wrong. When I finally did see the doctor, my shoulders had frozen, meaning the muscles and tendons had stiffened due to the restricted motion, so that I couldn't move my arm very far, even if I wanted to. I attended physical therapy for about six months, but my range of motion is still limited, especially in my left shoulder. The pain is gone, thank goodness, but it left permanent damage.

Now, maybe tendonitis of the foot/ankle is different, I don't know, but I definitely recommend that you do whatever the doctor suggests. You don't want restricted motion of your foot, not when you're such an advanced skater! I hope you're able to get relief soon.