You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating leggings/pants  (Read 2386 times)

Offline skater_princess

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Skating leggings/pants
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »
Hi guys :)

I have been looking round for skating leggings and I'm really unsure!! I have a £20 budget and I cant really go over that. Please don't suggest ordinary ones from places such as a supermarket etc and i must have gone through 100's of them :D

Does anyone know any good companies (cheap) and links hopefully :)

Thanks in advance :)

Skater_Princess

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Skating leggings/pants
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »
I've been wondering if it's cheaper to buy the correct fabric and ask friends that sew reasonably well to make more than one pair of pants. Would they last as long as the brand ones? Thoughts?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
I've been wondering if it's cheaper to buy the correct fabric and ask friends that sew reasonably well to make more than one pair of pants. Would they last as long as the brand ones? Thoughts?

I sew "reasonably well" and have found it difficult to sew skate leggings- the crotch was too baggy- it is fine on everyday leggings, but doesn't work for athletic pants.  Plus doing the flatlock seams is beyond my ability...  It isn't as easy of a project as a skating dress.  However, there are places online where you can buy the exact fabric Under Armour uses for their frosty tights.  http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Under-Armour-ColdGear (they don't seem to have plain black right now) and Malden Mills has the best fleece fabrics if you want the really warm pants.    I have hope someday I'll get the pattern right...  But yes, if your friend won't charge you for labor, it is definitely cheaper.

I don't know how much it would cost to ship over seas, but the NY2Sportswear pants (that look identical to Chloe Noel) are my favorite.  I like the single waist band color ones the best, but if there is a two tone waist band that is $10 cheaper.  I have bought them from both amazon- http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&me=A370KGM96NVI3F and ebay (just search ny2sportswear), and they also have a website (but they aren't quite as inexpensive as amazon and ebay).  I am short and a bit overweight and the AL fit me very nicely- they are clearly made for someone very tall though, as I have a LOT of extra fabric on my leg.  Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you my height/weight...

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:06 AM »
Hi guys :)

I have been looking round for skating leggings and I'm really unsure!!
 Please don't suggest ordinary ones from places such as a supermarket etc and i must have gone through 100's of them :D

Does anyone know any good companies (cheap) and links hopefully :)

Thanks in advance :)

Skater_Princess

These are the leggings that I prefer to wear for ice skating, or for just casual wear when out in public. They are called " Sweet Nothings "---

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sweet-Nothings-Get-the-Skinny-Shaping-Leggings-Style-82455/14528509

They are not very expensive, bit I don't consider them to be " ordinary ". I like the fit and the look of them, they have a ultra smooth touch and sheen to them. But each to their own.

" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »
Please don't suggest ordinary ones from places such as a supermarket etc and i must have gone through 100's of them :D

What are your major concerns / priorities other than price and durability?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:14:18 AM »
How much are you paying for the ordinary ones?
Sometimes it's worth paying twice as much for the skating ones just because the material is thicker and they last longer. My Chloe Noels have now done at least 2 years and I wear them about 3 times a week. To me, then it is worth paying the little bit extra just because they're going to last longer than the ordinary ones.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
How much are you paying for the ordinary ones?
Sometimes it's worth paying twice as much for the skating ones just because the material is thicker and they last longer. My Chloe Noels have now done at least 2 years and I wear them about 3 times a week. To me, then it is worth paying the little bit extra just because they're going to last longer than the ordinary ones.

I agree! I've also bought under armour leggings from eBay or thrift shops and that saves $$$. They last for years (one set is 7 years old).  The Chloe Noels are really good quality and wear well, as do many of the other brands.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!