You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson freestyle skates  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 16
Jackson freestyle skates
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »
Hi! New here..38 yrs old..just starting taking private lessons, and haven't been on the ice in 20 yrs..lol...I have only had 2 lessons, but my teacher is already teaching me backward crossovers, lunge, and 2 foot spin..she thinks I will be doing jumps very soon....I have been skating in rental skates for these past 2 -3 weeks...she suggested I buy the Jackson freestyle over the classique to last me longer..Thoughts? When I was fitted they only had the classique to try on..wow! Did they hurt..so stiff..I can only assume the freestyles will be worse...They should be in today...how long will it take me to break them in? Will my skating be better since I won't be in rentals? So scared I'll be falling all over replace with the sharp new blades...any advice for a newbie? Should I join ISI? How many hrs should I be practicing? I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube..

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Jackson freestyle skates
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
The Classique is the same stiffness as the Freestyle.. the major difference is that the Freestyle has a leather sole which makes changing from the stock blade to something else or changing/re-mounting blades in the future an option (most places won't re-mount blades on a PVC sole).

For most adults the Freestyle is probably not too stiff - ANY new boot is going to feel stiff and uncomfortable until they are broken in (assuming the absence of any size/fit issues) but they shouldn't be painful.  Jacksons are heat moldable, which can really speed the "breaking in" process along - make sure you get them heat molded when you get them because that will help you a lot.  How quickly you'll break in any pair of skates depends on a lot of things, but it usually takes a couple of weeks. 

Expect some things to feel a lot harder to do in new skates, while others will feel much easier/more secure... it's all normal :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »
Welcome to skating forums!  I'd go with the Freestyle over the Classique if you will be starting jumping soon. 

When you first get your new skates you likely will feel like you can't skate at all- the blade transition is sometimes tough, but after just a few times out, they will be so much better than rentals.  The consistency of having the same equipment each time is a biggie!  My skates took me about 3 weeks to really break in, until then I laced one hook down from the top, so that I'd have a bit more bend. 

The new blades shouldn't cause more falls, though the toe pick will likely be larger than you are used to.  Just make sure to do proper stroking- out to the side, rather than right behind you, and that should help those "toe pick" moments stay to a minimum.  Stopping will be more difficult at first- and that is likely true every time you sharpen the blade.  Start out slow, and build up to what is a safe speed for you- it may be slower than what your normal safe top speed was until you get used to stopping on freshly sharpened blades (I spent today JUST working on stops, my blades were sharpened this weekend, and they feel GREAT skating, but I just cannot stop...) 

If your rink is an ISI rink, I highly recommend you join, especially if you want to compete.  ISI has great competitions for all ages and skill levels.

Practice is totally up to you.  I recommend practicing at least as much time as you spend in lessons.  I have a lot of injuries I deal with, so I do 1:1 practice lesson time, but many people do 2:1 or even 3:1.   I found it easier to practice when I was working on lower level skills, and would skate for 3 hours a few times a week, but now as a freestyle skater my body wears itself down (knees and hips) and I can't put in that much time.  For an adult, the amount of time on the ice will be very personal.

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! I just picked them up from the pro shop, and yes, I bought the freestyles, and they heat molded them :) my lesson is tomorrow, it should be interesting :) Yes, my rink is part if ISI, I will ask my teacher about it...

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:23 PM »
I find it interesting that the Freestyles and Classiques are the same stiffness rating. I have broken-down pairs of both in my closet, and the Classiques are definitely much thinner and less padded, so how can they be the same stiffness?

Anyway, I hope your lesson went well! Breaking in can be tough, but you'll be surprised how quickly it gets easier. Your progress is very impressive.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »
the Classiques are definitely much thinner and less padded, so how can they be the same stiffness?

Jackson has made many changes to their boot line over the past few years... I think there was a time when they were not the same stiffness, but the currently produced boots supposedly are.  Padding is unrelated to stiffness.

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
I've skated in my new skates, 3x, and today was even better....They feel great, and I think my skating is better..definitely a change from the rentals lol..I'm so happy I'm doing this...My teacher thinks I'm doing well for only being on the ice  the last 3 weeks , since 20 yrs ago....I absolutely love ice skating...I'm so happy I'm finally doing this...I wish I could skate everyday, but it's hard cause my preschooler isn't in school full time yet...Great though that the rink is only 10 minutes from my house :)

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
it's hard cause my preschooler isn't in school full time yet...Great though that the rink is only 10 minutes from my house :)

So take 'em with you!  I started taking my littlest with me last year when he was 3.  I don't take him all the time but for those "oh I really wish I could skate and no one can watch him" days, it's enough to get at least a little ice time in, plus it's really cute to watch them skate when they're so small.

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
Well, I could but it would be really hard cause she is just in lessons now and using the walker...
So, she would want all my attn..I wouldn't get much practice in...So far it works out cause I can practice while my husband watches her in her lesson on Saturdays, then on tue and thurs when she is in school I have my lesson and practice...plus it gets expensive, but eventually she she is in school more I will probably be practicing more...:)