You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating at Sea Seminar for Adults!  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Skating at Sea Seminar for Adults!
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
This sounds so awesome!  I'm going to ask for more info.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skating-at-Sea-wNancy-Raymond-of-Cruise-Planners/273820766022259

Calling all Adult Skaters - The first ever Skating at Sea Seminar is set to sail on Oct 27th on the Oasis of the Seas. This 7 day experience is sure to create great memories. Your coaching staff on board will be Audrey Weisiger and Sheila Thelen. Please help me pass the word to skaters and contact me for more info.

I am so happy with the # of requests for information on this event! I will be emailing (and snail mailing) to those that have asked for more information on Monday. There is a limit of 18 skaters - no limit on non-skaters for this event.

The ship sails out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL, but it's a pretty long cruise: 7 nights.  And I'd miss Halloween...having second thoughts.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Skating at Sea Seminar for Adults!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
OMG!  I want to do this.  Even if that rink is the size of a postage stamp...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't choose a cruise out of Baltimore ... maybe the ships with rinks don't berth there.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:55 PM »
Hernando's Skating Hut at sea!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
I read your blog tonight!  The Harry Potter references were very clever, kudos to both of you!
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:20 AM »
I read your blog tonight!  The Harry Potter references were very clever, kudos to both of you!

;)

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:43 AM »
Hernando's Skating Hut at sea!

:stars

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »
Sounds like great fun!  I have been on the Oasis- it is an incredible ship!   The rink is small, though.  18 skaters on that rink is a lot, unless the group is broken down.

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
I've requested more information on this, but I probably won't go myself.  It's just a bad time of year.  I'll definitely spread the word at my rink though.  We're only a couple of hours north of Fort Lauderdale.  The price probably won't be too bad since it's the height of hurricane season.  ;D

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
The skating seminar itself is $429; the cruise itself runs from $674 to $884, double occupancy, plus taxes, port fees, etc.  It didn't say anything about coordinating roommates for the double occupancy cabins.  The agency can arrange airfare, or you can do it yourself - not included in the price.

There are two hours of off-ice, six hours (3 days: 7am-9am) of on-ice sessions, plus 3 hours of private lesson ice.  There's an hour of "all skaters" on the last full day of the cruise, but it doesn't say if it's on- or off-ice.   

Coaches Weisiger and Thelen are President and Exec Director for Grassroots to Champion seminars.  20-minute private lessons are $42 and $34, respectively.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
I'm really tempted, but we leave 3/15/2012 on a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise and my son is getting married at the end of May 2000 miles away.  I would have to do some pretty hard begging to get my husband on another boat this year!  FYI:  I inquired about the use of helmets on the ice.  When I first heard about this ship and the rink I read they make you wear helmets, but since this is a special deal and if you are member of USFSA or ISI they won't require helmets since we're covered by insurance!  I wore a helmet when I rode my horse and I even wear one skiing now (more for the music than the protection), but I draw the line on skating!  I actually even fell on my head on my first spin attempt (in many years) .  There is only room for 18 skaters.  I wonder how many have booked so far.

Someone talk me into it .... or out of it!
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »
Look at the web page.

Audrey is an awesome coach, but it must be a challenge to achieve full mastery for all skating levels in 7 hours of on ice instruction. Perhaps the $960 (minimum) would do me as much good, if spent in private lessons with my coach, at my local rink...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »
Perhaps the $960 (minimum) would do me as much good, if spent in private lessons with my coach, at my local rink...

This is true of the fee for almost ANY skating seminar (especially if you have travel costs involved).

But there is a lot to be said about the experience of skating with other adults, and of having a "fresh eyes" look at your elements.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
I guess 7 hours on-ice is comparable to 14 half hour lessons in terms of total time, and could be significant.

I've attended an off-ice short class taught by Audrey, that she gave to the volunteer instructors at Fort Dupont. She's great and has a different perspective on things, and made a lot of useful suggestions. Instead of helping people do or teach individual skills, she focused on teaching techniques.

Of course there are limits on what even a greatest coaches can do in a one room schoolhouse that welcomes all skating levels.

I wonder what she will focus on.

Anyway, I can't afford it. Maybe some of you will enjoy the class, or the cruise.

Offline skatingatty

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 02:53:22 AM »
It sounds like a fun vacation, but based on my experience skating on a cruise ship, I wouldn't want to go.  I felt really woozy and seasick for at least 1 or 2 days on the ship (Mariner of the Seas).  The rink was maybe a quarter the size of a regular rink, and even the ice surface seemed different from a regular rink. When I returned to land, I felt like my center of balance was off for a few days.  Given the cost of the cruise plus the seminar, I'd prefer to spend the money on regular lessons and skating costs. 

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines. I'd want to have experience skating on a cruise ship before I'd ever sign up for something like this. Seems like there's a good chance the motion of the ship, combined with the possible motion sickness, could throw you off enough to make the sessions not beneficial.