You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New blade guard design - Kootsu  (Read 5175 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
New blade guard design - Kootsu
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: New blade guard design.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »
Would these prevent you from slipping when you step on the ice with them?

Because slipping on smooth floors in guards isn't really a problem- we all run around the mall (well, the food court at least) in our skates - but it is a right of passage to hit the ice when wearing your guards (thankfully I haven't done that yet).

These guards certainly seem to make more sense than the roller skate ones posted recently!

I wonder if they would fit my blades- the thick holder of the matrix/paramount blades is a PITA to get into 2 piece guards.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
I"m more interested in the Rockerz ones that was discussed earlier ... as the idea that the guard differs based on the blade intrigues me ... plus these look too darned hard to assemble!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
I want these so I could walk out to the car and get something I forgot. I won't do that in regular blade guards. I don't feel stable in them on asphalt. And yes, I forget something about every other lesson. So I do without.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
My coach has the Rockerz guards and loves them, but they have to be cut special for your particular blade brand/length, etc. If you have an older blade it might not fit just right. But she loves the fact that they make walking easier!

I don't like the wide bottom on these new ones, and the fact that they look so hard to assemble.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Jennymd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
Very interesting concept and design! It'd be interesting to try them and see what they are like.

I wonder if they would fit my blades- the thick holder of the matrix/paramount blades is a PITA to get into 2 piece guards.

Unfortunately it says at the bottom of this page that they currently do not fit Ultima Matrix or Paramount blades:
http://www.kootsu.com/products/benefits

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:55:13 AM »
Very interesting concept and design! It'd be interesting to try them and see what they are like.

Unfortunately it says at the bottom of this page that they currently do not fit Ultima Matrix or Paramount blades:
http://www.kootsu.com/products/benefits
My old guards barely fit my Matrix blades....I have to really squish them on.  A loooong time ago (mid-70's) I bought some skates (used) and they came with guards...they were fitted to the blades and were curved to fit over the toepick AND the heel. I've never seen anything like them since. They were rubber and one piece. No springs or plastic rings to break. Very durable-we'd put our skates on at the house and walk down the street to the frozen ditch (about 1/4 mile) to skate.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:37:53 AM »
I'm old school: I wear one-piece guards.  Less fuss, just as much protection.  I wear mine to the car all the time and they stay put.  No problems with slipping or balance.  I just found out that you can buy replacement loops or springs, which makes them much more affordable.

These are very stylish-looking in a Star Wars way, which explains Agnes' attraction, ROFLOL!  You're still dealing with cutting and springs, but I like the flip-down heel catch/cushion.  There's still a minor pinching danger, it's just different from the other types of guards.  Do we really have a problem with skaters getting sliced by their toepicks or blades?  Bit of an exaggeration to me, Will Robinson.

The biggest drawback: the $35 CDN price tag.  While they may be more durable, I honestly don't want the same skate guards for 20 years, lol.  If they never wear out, I'd never get another pair.  Boy, would it hurt my wallet if one went missing for any reason.  I don't cheap out on skates, but skate guards that my kids will misplace monthly?  Yeah, I'd never find these in the Lost & Found , although they stand out enough that you could spot a finder-keeper wearing them quite easily.  (Just look for the stormtrooper walking to the rink.)

I like the way they cut the one-piece guard too short and the two-piece guard is too tall for the skate.
It's the image-equivalent of "creative statistics," lol.

These guards certainly seem to make more sense than the roller skate ones posted recently!
I still think those are a cute idea for little kids.  I'm amazed that no one brought up how annoying kids would be in those guards.  It's like the Heelie sneaker-skates - they'll be zooming all over the place.  There's no harm in looking at new items and getting different viewpoints.

For those with wide-body blades, could you use a craft knife to widen the channel at the top in a "V" so they fit better?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
Just read the specification site, and they don't appear to be made for kids.  The smallest blade they will fit is 8 1/4.   My blades are only 8 1/2", so I'm barely into that range...    I wouldn't be buying them anyway.  I only wear guards at competitions.

My old guards barely fit my Matrix blades....I have to really squish them on.  

I have to stomp mine on, and ply them off.  I could never do that graceful step on the ice and then take the other one off thing many skaters do, nor can I put one on while standing on one foot.  

Someone really ought to make guards that accomodate this type of blade- between Matrix and Paramount, they are becoming quite common.  Over half the skaters at our rink have one or the other.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
Someone really ought to make guards that accomodate this type of blade- between Matrix and Paramount, they are becoming quite common.  Over half the skaters at our rink have one or the other.

i believe the Rockerz guards accomodate these blades.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: New blade guard design - Kootsu
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »
Do I understand?: Rocker-Z blades change ice skates into platform shoes. The next logical step would be rapidly attachable/detachable blades. Even easier to walk in boots without blades. (I've never had trouble walking in hard guards, as long as they were adjusted tight enough not to come off, so I don't see the point.)

You get to complain more loudly when they are "accidentally" borrowed, cuz they cost more. Should you write your name on them?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
Someone really ought to make guards that accomodate this type of blade- between Matrix and Paramount, they are becoming quite common.  Over half the skaters at our rink have one or the other.
Not here - traditional-style blades are more common.  The skaters with the Matrix/Paramount runner-style blades simply shave the top channel wider, so "|_|" looks like "\_/" - easy and inexpensive solution that makes the guards easier to put on/take off.  (I don't know if the families alter the guards or if the guy who does our skate sharpenings for the pro shop wields the box cutter.)

i believe the Rockerz guards accomodate these blades.
Right - they have wider channels for different blades.  That's why their site asks for the type of blade, so they can match up the correct version of the guard on your order.

Going back to the original post, I was thinking that these Kootsu guards would be handy for people who skate on ponds.  The wider bottoms and treads would make it easier to get onto and off the ice, especially if you have to scramble up or down an enbankment.  Ordinary guards don't have enough traction and you can't stand on the ice to put them on/off easily.  That might be a better niche for blade protection.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »
Going back to the original post, I was thinking that these Kootsu guards would be handy for people who skate on ponds.  The wider bottoms and treads would make it easier to get onto and off the ice, especially if you have to scramble up or down an enbankment.  Ordinary guards don't have enough traction and you can't stand on the ice to put them on/off easily.  That might be a better niche for blade protection.
Well, that would make more sense! When I skated on a cow pond (I really did, one winter) we used to put our skates on pond-side...there really was no walking in the skates because of the sticks & brambles-you'd trip easier in skates.  But getting to a pond surrounded by grass, these would be really good!