You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: LiveBarn video privacy and safety issues  (Read 479 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
LiveBarn video privacy and safety issues
« on: February 16, 2024, 07:18:37 PM »
LiveBarn has video cameras and microphones at ice rinks, pools, basketball courts, playing fields, etc. - mostly in the U.S. and Canada. AFAICT from promotional videos, the resolution is 4K. I don't know if you can identify faces.

People who subscribe can watch games and practice sessions. The cameras are on all or most of the time, except during sports blackouts by leagues like NHL. (You can see some NHL practice sessions.) To some extent you can even watch video on demand. LiveBarn installs the video cameras for free, and pays the facilities a portion of subscriber fees.

In most of the U.S., videos are legal in public facilities, and help deter crime. Not sure about microphones. But these could also be used by stalkers, thieves, as well as people seeking to learn sports opponents' skills, weaknesses, strategies, skating programs, etc. I don't know whether skaters & coaches wishing to black out their private practice can negotiate for that.

Does any of this bother you folks?

Offline AlbaNY

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 128
Re: LiveBarn video privacy and safety issues
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 06:26:54 AM »
There was a coach at my old rinks who really complained about it, and she didn’t like my filming very much either.  Otherwise it seemed accepted and even useful if a bit weird when thought about. 

I subscribed and used it to help remember choreography plans or to check on things out of view of my phone, but I did not find it as useful as my friend does.  She uses it all the time to catch clips of herself that she sends to me, some of her coaches, or puts on social media. 
Once it a while we (coach, myself, friend, and rink staff) did use it to eavesdrop on drama or to sort out what happened.  Like, one time a hockey team stole a trophy, and we could pinpoint who did it.

My coach’s mother made a point of watching my lessons and even practicing.  She was cute about it and just enjoyed being able to.

When I tested or competed I hoped to view from LiveBarn, but most of the time it was blacked out.  That really bummed me since I didn’t get to catch my very first competition.   :'(

The rink staff set it to black out the practices and such of certain hockey groups (youth,) and certain other times also out of some of the concerns that you mention.