You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Clothing, skates, music and equipment Rant  (Read 39978 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Clothing, skates, music and equipment Rant
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 03:40:50 AM »
My bubble gum edges

Today I had some trouble holding some of my edges. I'd been out of town and hadn't skated in over a week, so I thought I was out of practice.

When I took off my boots, I saw there was a big glob of dried up bubble gum stuck hard to the tail. Not much left under the blade, except in the hollow, but to get the gum off I had to run hot water over the blade, then pry it off with a knife.

Yuk.

I must have stepped in it before that week-long rest, and it dried out in between. I usually try to use blade guards, but I must confess I recently didn't.

I have two conclusions:

(1) Bubble gum affects skating.
(2) Use blade guards.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »
Rant and Roll: I dislike the QuikSew patterns for skating clothing.  The construction's amateurish and the fit isn't for real skaters.

Oh, I love KwikSew's dress patterns. I've made three dresses using it so far and it's excellent. And it fits so well.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Oh, I love KwikSew's dress patterns. I've made three dresses using it so far and it's excellent. And it fits so well.

Me too, with some minor modifications which are fairly easy to make. 

I love the variety that Specialty Sportswear has, but have found these to be very difficult to get to fit me correctly (although they always fit my daughter well when she skated - go figure).  I don't care for the one their website claims is "most flattering" at all....the one with the really deep V at the waistline and the triple circle skirt.  Too much fabric on a rear-end that doesn't need it, and I find the really deep V to be a rather outdated look in general (jmho).  I don't think the stretch running vertically instead of crosswise particularly helps, either.

My rant...doesn't matter what pattern I'm using, I hate, loathe, despise the cutting-out phase of making a dress!!  I'm trying to more or less "retire" from making dresses altogether because I'd just rather be doing other things these days, but was persuaded to make one for a girl that I did one for last year.  I agreed because the family was generally very easy to work with.  It has taken me literally weeks to force myself to sit down and cut the thing out.  I can probably have it physically constructed in a weekend, and stoned in another weekend.  Just the cutting out part kills me.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
I love laying out and cutting the fabric.  It's instinctive to me - I know what goes on a fold and how much to fold over, how to follow the fabric/nap direction and what can be shifted a little this way or that to fit more closely and cut down on waste.  I always end up with extra fabric left over.

I even like matching plaids and patterns - it's a challenge.

I don't like doing zippers or armhole sleeves.  After this flapper-style dress, I really hate putting on trim by machine.  I just redid the entire top row of fringe and sequin trim.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
I love laying out and cutting the fabric.  It's instinctive to me - I know what goes on a fold and how much to fold over, how to follow the fabric/nap direction and what can be shifted a little this way or that to fit more closely and cut down on waste.  I always end up with extra fabric left over.

I just about always end up with fabric left over too, but I also don't strictly follow the suggested layout either.  I think it's a matter of "once you've cut something, you can't un-cut it"...if I screw up, I have to start over.  I knew I needed to leave it alone last night when I accidentally threw away two "legitimate" pieces that I'd already cut along with some scrap fabric.  Glad there was nothing really gross in the trash last night, because I didn't have enough left of this particular fabric to re-cut them and would have had to make another trip back to the store for more.  I already had to do go back once because I forgot I was doing a double layer skirt and needed twice as much skirt fabric as usual (DUH!!!!)  :bash

I don't like doing zippers or armhole sleeves.  After this flapper-style dress, I really hate putting on trim by machine.  I just redid the entire top row of fringe and sequin trim.

Zippers.....ugggghhhhhh. I'm right there with you on those.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
I don't follow the pattern's suggested cutting layout either. I usually have less fabric than they call for, but I'm pretty good at arranging the pattern pieces so they all fit, even if there's a nap.

Sleeves are my nemesis, as is anything that comes in pairs or multiples. I hate having to sew the same thing more than once. With sleeves, I'm always sewing the wrong sleeve to the wrong armscye, or putting it in backwards or inside out. Just when I've finally got it in perfectly, I realize that I have to repeat the process all over again with the second sleeve. Ugh!

I've never tried zippers in a knit garment, since those typically pull over the head, but I found a good tutorial for invisible zippers in the July 2005 issue of Threads magazine. There's an article in the March 2010 issue about sewing with knits and it has a few tips for installing zippers. If anyone would like the gist of either of the articles, just PM me and I'll share.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
Agnes was responding to a skater upthread who had bought a dress (used) specifically to wear as a practice dress, but had a concern.  I'm not sure why you felt the need to upbraid her response, which was perfectly adequate.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »
Wearing something other than a dress would solve her problem.
 :)
That particular member prefers dresses, lol.    If your goal was really to give "Prettysk8Dress" that option, you would quoted her, not Agnes' suggestion.  Perhaps more reading and less knee-jerk posting is in order, please.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
Wearing something other than a dress would solve her problem.
 :)

Robin, thank you for reviving this thread.

However, w/ regard to my reply to the poster, I've learned that people wear clothes for sports for different reasons. Back when I showed horses, some riders would wear full show gear of a lower quality for training,  so they felt at ease on show day or when hunting. Some stables even had a culture of riders wearing very nice practice wear (shirts with stocks and boots) while others had a t-shirt and english chaps culture. I figure if someone wants to wear a dress, maybe it's to get used to wearing a dress when she competes, or just because she wants to. I'd wear a dress if I had the legs for it.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
I think my boots are at the end of their lifespan, esp. the right one. At the lunge spot near the sole plate, there are little black tear marks in the leather. I don't practice lunges often, and would guess that comes from jump landings. Overthinking maybe, but my right foot feels colder too lately while skating, as if air is coming in LOL. Got these skates used in August 2010 fully broken in, not shabby to get over 2.5 years out of them. :)

I am probably getting the same boots (Jackson competitor) new this time, from our wonderful pro shop to show some support. My only concern is.... the dreaded break-in!!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »
Put some skate tape over the spot!  If they still support you, no need to buy new skates (unless you want them).

If you have older Jackson Competitors, I recommend looking at the Premier.  They are as stiff as my old Competitors were, and the padding is SO much better.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »
Put some skate tape over the spot!  If they still support you, no need to buy new skates (unless you want them).

Yup skate tape it will be. The memo from previous sharpenings is the skates are gradually breaking down. Since I plan to test later this summer, it would be unfortunate to have (emergency) skates break-in then. Considering my right ankle complained loudly when the previous pair broke down, I should not risk too much.

If you have older Jackson Competitors, I recommend looking at the Premier.  They are as stiff as my old Competitors were, and the padding is SO much better.

Yup I asked about premier as well, and they said something like the new competitor has new paddings blabla. My foot size is quite standard and I think it would be possible to try on both.

Now I need a rainbo coupon, LOL.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
The newer Jackson's with the rolled tops all have more padding. The Elles I just got my daughter have nearly as much as my elite supremes.. my daughter says she loves them because the ankles are "squishy" inside. She had (very used) freestyles before and they had nearly no padding at the ankles.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »
I ordered new boots -- SP-Teri Supers, split-width, with a flex notch.  Hope they fit since I can't return them.

I should replace my orthotics before having a blade mounted.  I have SuperFeet insoles, but the arch isn't high enough imo.  I have some old Klingbeil insoles that might work; I do like the leather insole.

Not sure what I'll do for blades yet; I'm going to try my DDs skates with the Coronation Ace blades and see if there's a major adjustment from my Gold Seals.  The shorter radius might be better for me than the long-tailed GS's.

I'm afraid the skate tech who works with our pro shop doesn't have the patience to deal with me because I'm such a PITA about the blade mounting.  We have different philosophies, too: I think the skates should be adjusted to the skater's needs, he thinks all mounting issues are the result of poor technique.  I might have one of the coaches from another rink do the mounting instead.  He's about 40 mins away and seems like a nice guy.  I'm not sure how many adults he's worked with, though.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »
Yup I asked about premier as well, and they said something like the new competitor has new paddings blabla. My foot size is quite standard and I think it would be possible to try on both.

Man, I wish my fitter had told me that. I would have gotten the competitor (cheaper).  Though I do love my premiers- they aren't too stiff.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
Man, I wish my fitter had told me that. I would have gotten the competitor (cheaper).  Though I do love my premiers- they aren't too stiff.

Well I'm not sure the line had changed yet when you got your last pair boots, if it makes you feel better.  I think the changes happened less than a year ago (definitely not back in 2011)... whenever the Elle came out, they also slightly redesigned/updated the Freestyle and Competitor to add the rolled top and change the tongue linings in addition to the extra padding.  IMO they are all nicer boots now than they were because of those added details :)

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »
Y'all make be want to buy a pair of skates now so bad.... :-[

I can just see myself: with fuzzy covers on the blades, A/C forming icicles.....if I turn my fans on high I can imagine I am skating!  :sweat
(it was nearly 80 degrees here already, before the storm came. I just live in the wrong part of the country)

/rant
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
I've decided that it costs more to make a freeskate/competition dress than to buy one.. whether it's a cheap (chinese) ebay dress or something made to order (but unstoned) I don't think it's cheaper any more to make things yourself any more.. not when you consider the cost of ordering all the different fabric (since one place almost never has everything you want, the shipping really starts to add up) and the pattern, and your TIME.  Ugh.  I have something specific in mind for my silver freeskate and I can't find anything that comes close from any of the major makers, so I'm trying to piece it together myself from three different Jalie patterns (that alone is around $45, but I already had them) and figure out what fabrics to use.. and already I'm incredibly frustrated.

Which resulted in the need for some retail therapy, so I bought this dress for my bronze program, already made and about half the price ($80) of ordering it custom from Tina's Skating.    I am hoping to test that program in the next few weeks on a freestyle session since it only needs one judge, then I can get my silver program ready for the next test session (whenever it is).  And yeah, I could probably wear any old dress since it's just a test, but that doesn't seem right.. plus the one I am making for my silver test program will be the program I use for competition if I ever choose to do so :)

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
It is lovely!
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
Wow, that is lovely!  I really like how cloth transitions smoothly between the different shades of blue - very elegant.  The skirt is very interesting and attractive.  I hope you some day post a video of you skating it so that I can see how the skirt flutters - looks like it should be lovely to watch.  What a nice find, and such a reasonable price!   :D

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »

However, w/ regard to my reply to the poster, I've learned that people wear clothes for sports for different reasons.

I figure if someone wants to wear a dress, maybe it's to get used to wearing a dress when she competes, or just because she wants to. I'd wear a dress if I had the legs for it.

Another reason that I wear ice skating dresses for practice---
I used to wear black modern dance pants for ice dancing practice, that had a band of elastic that went from side to side of the leg openings and around the arch of the foot. However, I would place the band of elastic around and under the skate and blade, just like how male skaters would wear their skating pants. When I changed to wearing tights and a skating dress due to an injury, where my blade became entangled in the pants leg, to my horror I discovered a bad habit that I had developed when ice dancing in the pants. With the pants pulled taut because of the elastic around the boot and blade, I could very slightly bend my knee on extensions and not even know or suspect that I was doing that, because the taut pants would hide the sightly bent leg. I thought I had good, straight extensions. But when I began ice dancing in a skating dress and tights, and would look down at my extended leg, there was the leg bent at the knee. But no hiding it now ! My coach even mentioned that she could now see that my extensions were not really straight, but bent at the knee. So now I have my work cut out for me ! I have to learn and relearn how to extend the leg and have it perfectly straight on all of the steps of the dance where that is expected, just as it befits ice dancers. The good news is that my coach has seen some improvement, but there is still more to work on. As I practice the ice dances, you better believe that I am going to wear skating dresses and tights, so I can occasionally ( also horror of horrors !) look down at my legs and see that I am extending with straight legs.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »
A lot of us just practice in tight leggings... I don't wear dresses unless I have to :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2013, 11:45:56 PM »
A lot of us just practice in tight leggings... I don't wear dresses unless I have to :)

Leggings + wrap skirt here :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »

I just wear leggings.  I wear very tight ones though, so my coach can see my extension well.  He can tell if I am straight or hyper-extended (I'm not supposed to let myself do that), so clearly they are good enough.

Track pants are a NO now.  I stopped wearing those when I started backspin.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »
I'm not comfortable in either a dress nor in leggings - I feel underdressed and cold! 

I used to teach outdoors, so I either wore ski pants or froze!  I think they keep my leg muscles warm, so I still wear them to skate/coach at certain rinks.  It is hard to find petite length in the larger size snow pants, though.

I had some awesome Champion fleece sweat pants that I picked up at Target for a song.  (They don't make them anymore.  Boo! :'( ) One of my two remaining pairs are pretty worn out, but the second pair is okay.  They have elastic hems and are just the right length to cover the skate hooks.  They fit tightly and don't have a lot of bulk along the ankle, certainly far less than my ski pants.

I hate my current sweat pants - they're baggy and shapeless, a little too short for my taste.  blah.

Going through the skating clothes last month, I tried on a pair of lycra skating pants that I had made for my DDs.  They fit, which means two things: (1) I have lost a few inches; and (2) I made them too big in the first place.  The latter is probably why the kids didn't like them; they were probably too baggy.

I've never gotten my blades caught while doing spins.  It's always stroking and crossovers, but you just roll with fall since they also provide a little cushioning.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com