You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Synchro vs Dance Blades  (Read 2580 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Synchro vs Dance Blades
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I was looking at some blades the other day from a manufacturer. One was marked sychro, the other dance. They looked identical, but were priced differently. So What is the difference?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Synchro vs Dance Blades
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
I'm not sure, but my dance coach thought the synchro blades were perfectly appropriate for me, especially since I still do a little free skating.  I thought that synchro blades had slightly larger toe picks, but I haven't done a direct comparison.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »
In some of the lines I think they are pretty identical but the synchro blades are cheaper.  I think they price them this way so that maybe synchro skaters will buy them as a team and to offset some of the other costs from synchro, with all of the costumes, competition expenses and ice-time.

Are the synchro blades thinner as well?  I should know this but my brain is on vacation.... wish I was... sigh.
 :angel

Offline Jennymd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »
I think Dance blades are slightly narrower than Synchro, most Dance blades have a 5/16" ROH as well whereas Synchro blades are all 7/16".

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »
The Wilson Precision looks a lot like the Super Dance 99, but it isn't slimlined and its about half the price. What does having a thinner blade do? I'm really curious.

http://www.usaskates.com/figureskateblades/jwprecisionpskateblade.html

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »
I think Dance blades are slightly narrower than Synchro, most Dance blades have a 5/16" ROH as well whereas Synchro blades are all 7/16".

ROH is a whole other animal - MK Dance and Wilson Super Dance 99 are 3mm wide and other blades are 4mm.

The thinner blade supposedly makes it easier to change edges and makes turns easier and quicker.  I have danced in the thiin blades for 10 years and so I have no idea anymore.

The Super Dance 99 is REALLY short and I'm guessing that the Wilson Synchro is not that short.