You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Twizzles! Any off-ice tips?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Twizzles! Any off-ice tips?
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »
Okay, since twizzles are so different, is there any off-ice exercise or something on the spinner that is similar to the on-ice deal?

I feel these are so awkward; coach made me learn them as slow 3-turns to get placement, but i don't know if i'll ever get the quickness and control i am seeing on the DVD.  It's slowly coming along, but it's such a weird thing to do....

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Twizzles! Any off-ice tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »
I tried this today when I had my spinner out.  It's not half-bad to do twizzles on the spinner.

I have a square metal, ball-bearing spin trainer.  Don't know about a plastic footbed-version.
You're not getting the edges, though, so that's something to keep in mind.

I put the ball of my foot (or a little further forward) dead-center for the forward twizzles.

I kept my arms at my sides, shoulders level but checked into the turn direction, free foot toe-to-ankle, free knee forward, and knee locked in a bent position, I could keep the revolutions going for a long time. 

Much longer than spins since there's no pull-in that can throw off your balance.

FWIW, that's what worked for me; I'm not sure much will stay with the skater on the ice, but it can't hurt.  I had one DD try it, telling her to think of playing "Statues" or "Freeze Tag" where you were frozen in one position.  That helped stop the movement that would throw off the turning.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »
That sounds like a good exercise. Twizzles do take a LONG time to get good / smooth / consistent. Lots and lots and lots of practice needed.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
I really stink if I try to do the position with my balance point towards the heel. 
That's the same on the ice, though, lol.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com