You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea Lace Strap?  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Edea Lace Strap?
« on: April 24, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »
I just saw these on the Figure Skating Store website http://figureskatingstore.com/lace-strap.html and wondered if anyone had tried them?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Edea Lace Strap?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
I use Katstrapz which are 4 bucks cheaper and of a different design, but do about the same thing depending on how you connect them. Also, they're approved for competition. (And in black and white, you can dye the white ones)

http://www.katstrapz.com/
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Also, they're approved for competition. (And in black and white, you can dye the white ones)

http://www.katstrapz.com/

@Agnes:  I'm not in the market for lace keepers, but out of curiosity, could you steer me to the URL or other resource that lists what is approved for competition?  Is this list ISI or USFSA or ISU?  I'm not planning to compete any time soon--just curious.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:49:38 PM »
Either way, cool idea. I'm ashamed to admit that I've had my shoes and sometimes even my skates come untied, when I was in a hurry to tie them - even though I usually tie double knots.

I suppose Velcro (or similar - about $2 at craft stores) straps that wrap around the skate at the top would work too.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »
I was thinking you could create something from elastic, but I never considered that something home-made wouldn't be allowed in a competition. Are there actually restrictions on such things? I'm fairly sure I've seen people use duct tape around their laces for local competitions.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:46:33 PM »
I was thinking you could create something from elastic, but I never considered that something home-made wouldn't be allowed in a competition. Are there actually restrictions on such things? I'm fairly sure I've seen people use duct tape around their laces for local competitions.

I use duct tape around the ankles when my skates break down, and definitely have used it at competitions. Never been told I couldn't!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
If it's hidden under boot covers how would anyone know?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:12:48 PM »
I can't even find anything on USFS's or ISU's websites against mechanical aids. AFAICT, you could stick springs in your skates, and strong elastic straps across your ankles (some people do that for medical reasons too), if you think it would help.  :)

But, I don't really know. Maybe it is somewhere else than I looked, or not on the websites.

However

http://iceskatingresources.org/DanceGeneralRules.html

quotes

T. If appropriate for the chosen music the lady and the man are permitted to wear trousers and sleeves of any length. Rule 3556 should apply. Decorations on costumes must be nondetachable. If a decoration or a part of the costume or hair decoration such as flowers, headbands, ribbons, etc., which are also part of the costume, falls on the ice during the performance, the costume deduction of 1.0 is required by the referee. Small props that are part of the costume and are characteristic for the chosen music are allowed (hats, head bands, ribbon). Props may not be thrown in any part of the program and/or passed from one skater to the other in any part of the program. The following types of props are not a part of the costume and are not permitted: cane (walking stick), umbrella, bouquet, etc. If used, the costume deduction will be applied.

And there are lots of "clothing" related rules at usfsa.org such as

http://www.usfsa.org/content/BS-appropriate%20attire.pdf

http://www.usfsa.org/content/COSTUME_GUIDELINES_FOR_2014-2015_SYS_SEASON.pdf

Something somewhere about rule 4030...

One of those said something about judges having discretion in determining appropriate attire. I have no idea whether a little lace holder could be considered significant by someone.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
Boys skating boots should be black and girls skates should be white or tan.

Darn, guess I should have read that before I painted my boots green and dyed my laces bright turquoise......  :blush:

Even considering that, they're fairly well covered under OTB tights.  I haven't competed since I painted them, but I doubt that the color of my boots would even be a concern... my colored blades never have been :)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »
I wonder if the $14 price is per each or per pair!?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 12:18:34 PM »
I would assume it's a pair.... they are listed as "straps" by the places that sell them :)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 04:56:59 PM »
Darn, guess I should have read that before I painted my boots green and dyed my laces bright turquoise......  :blush:

Even considering that, they're fairly well covered under OTB tights.  I haven't competed since I painted them, but I doubt that the color of my boots would even be a concern... my colored blades never have been :)

What kind of paint did you use?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 07:50:45 PM »
I used Jacquard Lumiere (in Citrine) - it's a metallic textile paint that people commonly used on leather (I've previously painted a Kindle case with it, which is why I was willing to take a chance - the Kindle case has looked great for 3 years now).  So far it has held up fairly well - it has rubbed away on some spots on the tongues (at the sides where they rub the boot, and where laces cross at the ankle) but otherwise it's doing great and the spots where the paint has worn away are not visible when they're tied.  Only downside is that it took about 17 layers before it started looking "even" and there are still a few blotchy areas I should coat some more.  If I were to do it again I'd make friends with someone who had an airbrush - I think it would have come out a lot better that way and been much easier :)

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »
I would love to see a picture of those green boots! They sound awesome!

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 10:56:21 PM »
"Boys skating boots should be black and girls skates should be white or tan."

Maybe this doesn't apply to adults, just boys and girls?  :)

I seem to remember a few lovely Firebird costumes in Olympic competitions with bright fiery colors.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 11:02:34 PM »
I would love to see a picture of those green boots! They sound awesome!

I'll get one tomorrow - my skates live in my locker at the rink :)

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
On page 31 of

http://static.isu.org/media/156288/handbook-for-officials-pattern-dances-2014.pdf

The decorations on costumes must be non-detachable. Part of the costume or decoration falling on the ice will be penalized by a deduction (see Ru
le 353, paragraph 1.n).

That's ISU, not USFS, but the USFS is a member organization of the ISU, and sometimes uses ISU rules for things.

Not sure if this could be considered either a decoration (rather than technical equipment) or detachable.

You might also look at Rule 500 on page 72 of

http://static.isu.org/media/166717/2014-special-regulation-sandp-and-ice-dance-and-technical-rules-sandp-and-id_14-09-16.pdf

and Rule 951 on page 5 of

http://static.isu.org/media/169582/2014-special-regs-sys-techn-rules_final-version.pdf

There are also a lot of rules about displaying trademarks, BTW. But most of it relates to the size of trademarks, and some of it only relates to major televised events, where you are only allowed to display the trademarks of ISU sponsors.  :)