You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Corn  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
Corn
« on: July 23, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »
Lately I have been quite a bit of pain on the inside of my left picky toe, most noticeable when i skate. I noticed that there is a white skin thickening that is causing the pain and i think it may be a corn. Is this a common problem with skating? Could punching my skates out around the pinky toe help,the pain and prevent other problems? What are some of he r solutions?
Thanks!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Corn
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:04:37 PM »
I don't know what this is but corns are more yellow or at least have a yellow center which is the nidus of the pain.  You can get rid of those with various over-the-counter medications and something called a "corn-pad" which is medicated and you will be able to lift out that yellow center.

I used to have quite a problem with corns - from skating.  The last one I had I remember I just took a scalpel to it and cut it out.  Most people wouldn't do that however and I don't recommend it...

Having boots that fit certainly will keep you from getting stuff like that.  Also since I absolutely do not jump anymore I'm sure that was part of the problem - the constant banging of the toes against the ends of the boots from take-offs and landings...

OUCH!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »
Only going to suggest this because my son had a number of them about 18 months ago.. it could be a plantar wart.  My son had several about 2 years ago and they started off looking like little blisters under callused skin, and looked fairly harmless at first... they did not look anything like normal warts.

You can try a number of DIY solutions but honestly I would go see a good foot doctor to get whatever is going on properly diagnosed first so you can start the correct treatment.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
I have them there too; they're callouses from too-tight high heels. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:22:35 AM »
It can also be an impacted sweat gland. Trimming and daily moisturizing usually takes care of that, though it takes several months.

If it's that painful, see a podiatrist.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/