You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Most used gym equipments for figure skaters  (Read 5455 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Most used gym equipments for figure skaters
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »
A conversation with group coach made me decide to hit the gym regularly. She is against swimming and recommended using spinners to build fast twitch muscles.

Which made me wonder: from the following *basic* gym equipments, which ones are deemed most useful for adult figure skater's cardio / strength training?

- Treadmill / elliptical / spin bikes
- Row / quad / hamstring / squat / cable cross machines
- Barbells / dumbbells

What equipments in your gym do you think benefited your off-ice training the most?

Thank you for sharing :)

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: Most used gym equipments for figure skaters
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
For me, it's less about the machines and more about the body weight exercises. Here is one of my interval workouts:

5 rounds, no breaks -
25 pushups
25 Burpees
50 Mountain Goats
200 meter run
25 squat jumps

No weights or equipment needed. Doing these types of exercises has helped my stamina, strength, power, and quickness. We do crossfit on a regular basis which is all about transitioning from one exercise to another quickly and pushing yourself hard. If you are interested, make sure you go to a reputable gym where they will also train the movements (how to do a proper squat, proper lunge, etc.), otherwise, you may get hurt.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
I use a variety, so I don't get bored.

- Treadmill / elliptical / spin bikes-I use the treadmill for interval running. I don't like the elliptical or spin bike.
- Row / quad / hamstring / squat / cable cross machines-I use the leg press for building strength for sit spins. I do both legs and single leg presses with weights.  I don't typically use the other machines.
- Barbells / dumbbells-I use dumbbells for squats.  Sometimes I use kettlebells.

I also do plyometric jumps onto a box at the end of my workout. I figure if I can go through 2-3 sets of 10 without tripping or falling over the box, I'm good. And, I use the bosu for balance exercises, and to build my core.

-bands / strap -I use bands for stretching, and I use a strap for heavy stretching. It gives me the extra pull I need.

Like Kim said, you can get an awesome workout without any equipment-you just have to have the right type of training to teach you how to do the various moves. 
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:46:33 PM »
I found I could easily get a good workout on spin bike and elliptical. Gets my heart rate up and not hard on the knees. That is, if I get myself to the gym regularly.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:04:24 AM »
Sk8Strong uses the following things: sport cords or exercise bands, a step or hurdles, bosu/balance board or disc or 1/2 foam roll for balance, hand weights, a foam roll, and a stretch strap.  You can get a full functional workout with minimally expensive equipment.  Previous posters are 100% correct: No need to sit on weight machines- just use your body weight! :-)

Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more