You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: SQSA Adult Training Camp 2018  (Read 3166 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
SQSA Adult Training Camp 2018
« on: April 24, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »
The Sportquest Skating Academy (SQSA) at Parade Ice Gardens in Minneapolis, MN is hosting an Adult Camp.
September 21st-22nd, 2018
LINK:  http://www.sqsaparade.com/adult-training-camp/

Register by July 10th for $330 early-bird pricing, $380 regular price.  No specific final deadline, but apparently registration fills up fast.

In addition to the camp, they're offering private lessons and an Adult Test Session for all levels and disciplines.  (Each cost extra)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: SQSA Adult Training Camp 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »
I went last year and it was a lot of fun.

Warning though - the two days go fast, they're busy, and tiring.  Like I was so exhausted.

Highlights - they have an off ice harness and it's super fun.  They also have stuff like circus class and a jump rope class (better than it sounds, trust me! I was kinda meh when I saw it on the schedule but it was the best off ice class of the whole camp).  The spin coach was amazing. The woman who has the champion cords/harness business does several classes - cords, harness, and I think an axel class - and is amazing.  Her classes were the highlight.  They give you a skills survey before you go so they can group you appropriately, which is appreciated.

Negatives - two super long days.  They spend a lot of time choreographing and working on a closing number and some of us weren't down with that.  I actually skipped the taping.  Like not that I don't see the value, but you're already so pressed for time, and by the end when they tape it... you're just ready to go home because you're so tired!  If you plan on private lessons, your day will be even more crazy.  I know of a couple skaters who cancelled the rest of the lessons they'd booked after part of day one had passed (and they'd seen the schedule for the camp!)

Oh and not a negative or a positive but just a heads up... they film/photograph a lot of it for iCoach Skating.  I've never been brave enough to go look for the videos lol but it didn't bother me to be filmed.  But I know others may not like it.

I can't go again this year but if I could, I would.  Overall, it was fun and I learned a lot.  Bring a notebook and several layers for clothes.  They say you need a yoga mat but you can make due without one.  Be prepared to be in your skates longer than you've ever been in your skates.

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:02 PM »
This camp looks really good, but it is very not near where I live. I'm still tempted...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
The early bird deadline for this camp is tomorrow!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com