You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice training reports  (Read 113941 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Off-ice training reports
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
Haha thanks, FigureSpins.

(on giving me less work than the kids after I finally finished the spirals, paraphrased)
Assistant dance coach: ...so she can catch up?
Dance coach: not about catching up, to not kill her!
Me: ...

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
I used to swim, more to have another activity for the nights when I couldn't skate than for training. I'd do mostly intervals: a 200 yard freestyle warmup, then various mixes and distances of freestyle, back and breaststroke. I never could do butterfly and felt ridiculous trying.

I signed up for a stroke mechanics class once but it got canceled because I was the only one in it. Then I decided to try distance swimming and started a program called "0 to 1650." For a few months, I swam miles, then I realized I really just am not an endurance person.

A few months after that, I burned out on swimming altogether and decided to try running. That's going just *spectacularly.* On a good day, I can do two sloooooow miles without stopping on my gym's indoor track, but I'm dying after about two minutes outdoors.

Some nights, instead of trying to run a mile or two, I alternate sprinting laps with walking.

Has any of this made any difference in my skating? Well, I have a bad habit of lifting my arms too high during moves and spins, and my coach blamed that on swimming. The running seems to have done nothing to improve my endurance during programs, but it does force me to stretch my calves more.

I wanted to take ballet. I really think it'll help my skating. But the only time of year when it wouldn't conflict with skating is summer, and my gym decided not to offer it this summer.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »
I've been trying a variety of exercise classes at the Y.  So, I've been doing a mix of a butts & guts class, a combo yoga/pilates class and a yoga class.  I'd like to up the number of yoga classes and be more regular with the yoga/pilates.  There is a Y really close to me that doesn't offer it so that's been a bit of a limit.  I was doing Zumba but that started conflicting with kid classes. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Ice dance camp off ice training, dance coach made me run less than the kids (to not kill me) and they whined.

Dance coach to one kid: because she's an adult and you are much younger.
Kid to me: but you are older!
Me: too old...
Dance coach to kid: will you make your mom do this?
Me: ...

They run faster with much better stamina. What's frustrating is I easily out-skroke the same kids on ice, no wonder they want to throw me under the bus when I get the reduced workload.

I need to do more cardio and get in shape, period.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 01:55:36 AM »
I took ballet today for the first time.

Oh my gosh! It's really hard! Surprisingly difficult just to stand on one foot and do sweepy things or passe- with proper form.

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:04 AM »
In a previous thread (http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=624.0), FigureSpins posted a link to a document on USFSA with off-ice exercises:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Exercises.pdf

(sorry, I don't know how to link to previous thread, hope this works...)

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
I took ballet today for the first time.

Oh my gosh! It's really hard! Surprisingly difficult just to stand on one foot and do sweepy things or passe- with proper form.

I have been dying to take a ballet class since I've started skating again as an adult, I used to take ballet as a child, but I don't remember much.  I'm so envious ;) Is there a specific class that you are taking?  There was a class offered at a studio near my house that was geared towards figure skaters, I was really tempted to take it and my coach recommended it also; I was ready to sign up until I found out the times wouldn't work with my schedule  :(

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »
I have been dying to take a ballet class since I've started skating again as an adult, I used to take ballet as a child, but I don't remember much.  I'm so envious ;) Is there a specific class that you are taking?  There was a class offered at a studio near my house that was geared towards figure skaters, I was really tempted to take it and my coach recommended it also; I was ready to sign up until I found out the times wouldn't work with my schedule  :(
It's a class offered at an ice rink, not my home rink unfortunately but still close by. The instructor is not a skater, as far as I know, but all the girls in the class are.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »
I too just started a ballet class. I took ballet for ten years, from when I was 3 to 13, although I was never very serious or really even interested in it. I'm shocked at how much harder it feels now and how little I remember. I'm enjoying it more, though! It helps that it's an all-adult class and we can all laugh at ourselves. The instructor is really nice, too.

Offline Rachelsk8s

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
That is so awesome VAsk8r, I really really want to take a ballet class.  I'd imagine its hard too!!  You guys are really motivating me to do some research this weekend and find an adult ballet class somewhere around here ;)

Offline supra

• Total GOE: 5
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »
I squatted heavy again for the first time in a few months today. Front squatting I did specifically. I didn't go too near my max, just did some triples. It felt good squatting again.

I also did snatches, stopped at about 90ish% of max. Maybe about 25 reps not counting warmup reps?

Then for a burnout/cardio, I flipped a tractor tire over maybe about 7-8 "laps" down the aerobic studio.

So not the best workout ever, but it's coming back. I'm also trying to cut weight going lower carb, too, so I didn't wanna push things too hard today, as lower carb diets have a tendency to make injuries happen easier for some reason.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 12:34:02 AM »
I would LOOOOVE to find a beginning adult ballet class that doesn't require a 50 mile drive at the most inconvenient times  :blush:

Offline supra

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
So yesterday was a light day.

Startoff:
Warmup with cleans/snatches with just the bar or 10s on the side.

Jump over stepper platform, worked up to highest I can jump over. Probably did 5 sets of 5-7 jumps.

Barbell oblique twist, worked up to 125lbs for 5-7 reps, about 7 sets total not counting the ones done with just the bar to get a feel.

Barbell oblique bends toward the side. Probably 5-7 sets of this, with just the bar/10s on the side.

10x3 with a light weight on the standing overhead press. 5s on the side, then 7.5 on each side for the last set.

Shoulder lateral raises from sides to above head. Used plates instead of dumbells, did a lot of sets of these because I find them fun, so I did maybe 8-9 total?

Jumps over about 10 inches high on just my left leg, then jump backwards off my left leg onto my right. Probably did 3-5 sets of 3 for these.

I'm quite liking the plyos, I have to do more plyo movements, they're also pretty good cardio.

Offline Rachelsk8s

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »
I would LOOOOVE to find a beginning adult ballet class that doesn't require a 50 mile drive at the most inconvenient times  :blush:

Right??!!  Me too :) I've been looking, but there's nothing that fits into my schedule nor that is close.  And the ballet DVD's just don't cut it :(

Offline supra

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »
Hurt my bicep/elbow after doing clean and jerks seriously for the first time in a while. Last year around this time it was like my favorite obsession exercise, but I stopped doing them for some reason, so I decided to try starting back, and things were going good and feeling good until I randomly felt that pain in my elbow. I decided to stop doing cleans and try snatches instead like I usually do and I couldn't even get 85lbs up on the snatch, so this injury seems semi-serious. Probably gonna be like a week or so to heal, so no exercises really involving my upper body except maybe shoulder flies or something really light like that until it heals. Yay. I think I've had pains like this before, but...meh, still not cool. At least I'm not injured to the point I can't do daily activities, and still totally able to skate with it.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2012, 12:31:51 AM »
Take it easy, supra!

Offline supra

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
Take it easy, supra!

It's actually feeling better today. Probably be good for Monday/Tuesday. I really need a lifting coach, but unfortunately good lifting coaches cost as much as good skating coaches, sometimes more. That said, I might switch back to doing snatches, as I read a coach that said as far as high school/college athletes goes, it's better to do snatches for the reason I described. Cleans can mess your elbows up if you don't have good technique.

Sometimes I feel I shouldn't even bother with lifting, it's inspirational to see people my size snatch like 300-400lbs on youtube and stuff, but at the same time, I can only do like 105lbs. It does certainly help on the ice, without question, but a lot of it is just me wanting to be silly strong just because I'm a guy. Oh well.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
It does certainly help on the ice, without question, but a lot of it is just me wanting to be silly strong just because I'm a guy. Oh well.
To a certain point, yes, strength training helps, but I think you're beyond that point.  Lifting is definitely more important to you than skating, as evidenced by your constant posting about weight training vs. the few skating practices you mention.  Skating requires specific muscle strengthening.  Strengthening the wrong muscles can actually inhibit skating skills. 

You need to stop trying to self-teach yourself if you're not progressing in either sport.  Pick one and get a part-time job just to pay for the training if you want to go beyond the wanna-be stage where you're stuck right now.  I know you hate group lessons, but frankly you should get over it if that's all you can afford.  Better than pretending that you're a skater.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 01:08:57 AM »
Okay... I haven't been to the gym in more than a year, but a new one just opened near my rink.  :sweat

1) walk/jog for 20 minutes.
2) Stretch (past my toes again!)
3) bicep curls
4) BOSU ball balancing. Yeesh... I used to do this well!
5) Spiral practice. I can get it up past my hip on regular ground, but while moving, it's scary. XD
6) Plyometrics
7) Cool down
8 ) last stretch

Reward: BEING LAZY IN THE HOT TUB. HO HO HO!

I know it's not a lot, but I have to start slowly and set up a routine. :)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2013, 01:58:01 AM »
*scratches head* No other reports since last Friday?  :sweat

I started personal training today. D: ... after a 1 1/2 hour skating session. PFFT

1) 5 minute rowing machine warm-up
2) 2 sets: 12 reps of passing a swiss ball between hands and legs followed by 12 crunches with the swiss ball between the legs
3) 2 sets/12 reps of leg press
4) 2 sets/12 reps of upside-down BOSU ball squats with overhead dumbell press
5) Bunny hops over 4 flights of stairs
6) Cool down and stretching
7) SWIMMING POOL AND HOT TUB! OH YEAH!

I was surprised about what I could do, because 1) I didn't do cross-training with 2-3 times a week of figure skating and 2) I didn't do these things the last time I had a fitness streak. That's probably why I plateaued.

The BOSU ball will be my drill sergeant. If I want steel-like spins, I have to work on stability. DX

Also, I looked up off-ice training workouts. Apparently, Johnny Weir does this:

What is up with the top exercise?! Do we have to look ridiculous to ice skate...?!

... oh wait a moment.  88)

Oh those lovely sparkly costumes.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
A little over-the-top with all those balls and the conehead, imo.

I worked out twice this week - elliptical 10-15 mins, handweights and lots of stretching along with my PT exercises.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04:27 AM »
Did some off-ice axels after the elliptical last night, and landed some only a quarter under rotated. I was excited, since last time I tried them I was landing forwards.

But because I kept putting off going to the gym until later and later, I got really wound up way too close to bedtime. Got to sleep late and then ended up late to work this morning  :-\
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
Poor kid!  She has a yoga/core/plus workout every Sunday.  Monday she is sore.  But she has a cough and cold and now doesn't want to eat because not only are her abl]s sore from class, but they also are sore from constant coughing and sneezing.   :sad:  Nothing is more pathetic than a kid who wakes up and tells you they are sore because they are 10 years old, not 10 years young.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2013, 03:23:22 AM »
I forgot to add last week. Derp.

Personal trainer added new things.

1) jackknife
2) Seated pistol squats with 5 pound weight to my chest. I hope that'll help me with sit spins later.
2) airplane pose with weights. He tried to put me on the bosu ball for regular airplane poses, but that ain't happening! XD Maybe when I can do super-strong camel spins that'll be possible!
3) side lunges with over-stretched band. Ha ha! How can that thing wear out after less than a month of the gym opening?
4) modified planks with raised arm and opposite leg. Sigh... it's my fault that I asked for help with stability.

Then yesterday I spent the day with my darling at the massage place and the swimming pool at the gym. 

Even those these workouts were hard for my level, my coach noticed a difference in stability. :D yayzors!

Tomorrow's my next session, so I'll give you guys an update. :)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »
I hate my personal trainer. He was already gone when I finished.  :P TSK.

He wanted to focus on leg strength and explosive power.
1) 1 leg squats with 5 pound weights
2) squat with 32.5 pound weight between the legs
3) box jumps with 4 tiers
4) one legged bridges
5) Raising my legs horizontally on a weird contraption that made you look like you were jet packing. XD I don't know what it's called.
6) 10 30 second sprints over a 25 minute period. I was surprised that I could do it. o___o

This is what I get for choosing a power sport. DX