You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice training reports  (Read 113947 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Off-ice training reports
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »
Ooh didn't know there was a thread like this. Anyway -- it's been one month since I started training my core again, and 2 weeks since I began a lower extremity (mainly glutes) strengthening routine. My core is much better than it was one month ago, and the glutes are getting better too. I do my routine 3x a week. The routine is long, around 1.5 hours, but well worth it. I only do static exercises, since I find them more rewarding than dynamic ones.

My focus has been on the glutes, although I also do exercises for the adductors and quads. As for the hamstrings, I still have to find exercises for them. If I can get my core to be really strong, I can just do planks for them and then hopefully add more exercises for the upper body.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »
Hamstrings are tough for me to work properly.  But the exercise I find most helpful for this is bridging with my feel on a small ball (~7-10 inch range) and while in the bridge position, and without lowering my hips at all, extend your legs out and then bring them back in.  It only takes a few of these to really feel your hamstrings.  Plus your core is obviously working really hard to stabilize you in this exercise.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2013, 12:29:25 AM »
1) Dead lift 65 pounds (I don't know how my female friend does 180... she's 5'0" tall and skinny!  :o)
2) seated leg pushes (?)
3) Slanted sit-ups while throwing a 4 pound medicine ball at my trainer's head into his hands.
4) airplane pose with two 12.5 pound weights. Apparently, I'm too flexible from practicing spirals, so he had me do pigeon-toed bend at the hip.  :sweat
5) 3-minute high knees/push-ups/squats/burpee workout.

Today: :toppts:  8) OH YEAH. I'M SO COOL, LOOK AT MEEEEE

Tomorrow:  :sad: *DYING*

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
Physical therapy twice a week for an hour plus fifteen is strengthening my legs. But oh am I tired afterwards. My right leg is stronger but I doubt that I'm getting any better on the knee.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Traceekins

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2013, 01:16:40 PM »
I'm an adult beginner and I've been training off-ice with POP Pilates! I'm almost certain I found POP Pilates somewhere on this forum ... anyway, it's been great so far! The workout videos are free on YouTube. I'm hoping that pilates will help me strengthen my legs and inner core so I'll be better balanced on the ice.

I'm also trying to lose weight, and ever since I started skating I've definitely dropped a few pounds. I feel like skating has given me the motivation to go full-force with my weight loss (especially because I HATE the gym!). I'd much rather be on the ice than on a treadmill. :)

Just for reference, here's a link to the POP Pilates website:

www.blogilates.com

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »
After months of doing rehab isometric exercises, I have finally upgraded to dynamic exercises! I've been on a dynamic routine for 2 weeks. I still get sore from lunges, but squats with 5lb weights feel good!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
So I do weight lifting two times a week--right now all upper body because of....
Physical therapy two days a week on my legs and that's an hour and a half each night. They've upped my weights and reps so much I'm exhausted. The therapist (Rapunzel the Cruel) regards me as one of her major success stories since I do the required exercises at home.

And in the mornings before work I do 10 minutes of stationary biking followed by 30 minutes of stretching.

Today, I ache all over...but in a good way.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
XD Haven't written this down in a while!

Last Thursday:
1) Squats with bar
2) V-position medicine ball
3) burpee/half-jump over a rope

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
I off-ice lifted my partner so that she was on top of my head.  The press lift is supposed to be a lot higher, but it is progress!

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
Yesterday, we had circuit training.
1) Squat with over the head lifting (30 pound bar)
2) boxer sit-ups
3) Box jumps over to the other side of the aerobic steps with twist
4) wide stance squats with 50 pound dumbbell in between the legs

I was saved in the last circuit when someone used the boxer sit-up machine. ;D

Trainer: okay... to make it up, 50 box jumps!
Me: noooooo...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »
Alright this is the off ice routine in camp today, I may have left out some stuff or mixed the order here and there.

2 laps - running on the stairs*
2 laps - stairs*, every other step
2 laps - stairs*, 5 steps up and 2 steps down
2 laps - running on the stairs
(* indicates half length, kids did full length)
Stretch hamstrings
8 laps of bench leaps
50 step ups on bench
25 jumping jacks
Hip rotation, 25 each side
Spiral stretch, 10 sets on each foot (9 pony kicks, hold spiral position for 10 seconds on 10th kick) -- took me forevah
3 sets of 25 jumping jacks, 10 crouches, 10 bicycles (reduced for me I believe)
10 leg lifts, 10 seconds each
2 laps of H skips in the lobby
8 tip toe waltz jumps
Split stretches on both sides

Let's say I was never athletic as a kid, either...

I'm so glad I logged the routine here! Handy :)

Decided to do a 5k color run with my friends in 2 months, better get into shape... Started with very slow jogging today and paid lots of attention to my poor knees - they were injured years ago because of ignorance (pronation + cheap gym shoes, no warm up + pushing over the limit).

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
I have been running. Very slowly, but running nonetheless after years of hiatus. Android app calculates my pace and it's actually not too bad. Just need to keep it up and run at least 3 mornings a week. (Already have 2 early morning skating days)

Quick 5 minute spiral stretches during the workout routine really worked my behind. Hope they improve my spiral height for the silver MITF test.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
Whoops. I haven't reported in a while.  :blush:

Circuit training:
1) V-Ups
2) One footed box jumps
3) 20 pound bar over head squats
4) Something else I forgot. =__=;;;

I said to my trainer "I'm going to hire one of these guys here to do my training for me!"

Trainer: you're actually stronger than some of these guys...

I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or a tragedy...

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:47 PM »
For the last few weeks I've been walking 2.5 miles (45 min) most days of the week.

I swear it's uphill both ways.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »
6/6/13: My trainer had me do 55 pound barbell exercises... with hops.  :o He said they were good for explosive training.

Yeah... I'm not doing this again without a spotter. My shoulders still hurt two days later. XD

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
I skipped a week with my trainer because I skipped a dose of medicine and it caused withdrawal symptoms. I also had a sore wrist and a weird back issue.

1) inverted squats on two machines...?
2) inverted situps
3) boxer sit-ups
4) pistol squats (my legs pretty much died after the first 4 sets...)

Hrm... maybe I was right about my lower back not doing so well. I hope it's just DOMS.

5) laze in the hot tub. >_>

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
I'm having trouble doing pistol squats. I'm guessing due to high bodyweight. I also need to do ankle flexibility drills to be able to overhead squat well in my Converse.

I push pressed 155 a few weeks ago. Don't know if that'll have any carryover if I go into pair skating ever (lol, going into pair skating, yeah, way to be needlessly optimistic...) I only strict pressed 125 (no leg drive.) I can also only do like 2 chin ups max from the deadhang. I have the upper body strength of a 13 year old girl.

It's fine.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »
This week I have a private session with our off-ice coach to develop a personalized off-ice training program.  My normal workout routine is:

ROWING - 30 mins, 5-6x/wk

WALKING - 30 to 60 mins, 4-6x/wk

RESISTANCE TRAINING - 45 mins, 5-6x/wk

STRETCHING - 30 mins, 5-6x week

SKATING - 1 to 2 hours, 3-5x/wk in summer, 2-4x/wk in winter

ALPINE SKIING - 6 hours, 2-5x/wk in winter

I exercise a minimum of 2 hours a day with a day or two off a week.  Max, in winter with skiing, is 8 hours a day (but skiing isn't constant activity and I don't feel like it's much of a workout unless there's a lot of hiking involved or it's a deep powder day.)
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2013, 01:24:34 AM »
This week I have a private session with our off-ice coach to develop a personalized off-ice training program.  My normal workout routine is:

ROWING - 30 mins, 5-6x/wk

I exercise a minimum of 2 hours a day with a day or two off a week.  Max, in winter with skiing, is 8 hours a day (but skiing isn't constant activity and I don't feel like it's much of a workout unless there's a lot of hiking involved or it's a deep powder day.)

Skiing is awesome even if you don't get much of a workout.  ;) There's nothing like a crisp winter morning in the mountains.

Hrm... Yesterday was a lot of squatting and lifting with bar weights. I should find a spotter when I don't have my trainer with me.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
I haven't kayaked much this year, but went back to weekly afternoon paddles with a local club. Right now it makes me exhausted and sore, and I'm afraid to take on any more challenging trips. Plus I need to work more on forward bend and torso twist flexibility so I can manage a proper paddling position. And I have to work hard to roll.

But it still helps exercise and the torso-twist muscles. And since I've moved from foolish whitewater to fair weather sea kayaking, it's low risk.

I went swimming today, alternating 5 strokes. I don't know if this exercises anything in specific, but my arms, legs and lungs get tired. Guess it's good endurance training.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
Ugh... I learned not to do weight training after two intense skating sessions in a row. I had to give up and use simple machines. :nvm: Thankfully, my legs are used to the intensity and aren't sore. My arms are crying, though.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2013, 12:34:18 AM »
I just set up a bike trainer for my hybrid bike that I never ride.  Now I've added stationary cycling to my cardio options. 

ROWING and/or CYCLING - 30 mins, 5-6x/wk

Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2013, 03:19:48 AM »
I'm going to take the bod pod test on Monday. I'm actually at my heaviest ever. If I use the BMI measurement, I'm close to overweight. :sweat But if I go from lifting 40 pounds to 100 pounds, some of that increase must be muscle mass, right? Well, I'll figure that out Monday.

Split level squats don't hurt anymore. Yeesh. I think I might have spread the legs too far the first time.

I did 140 pounds on the leg press machine with 2 sets, 12 reps.  :o Ay caramba. I wonder if my trainer is willing to do the max lifting tests. I really want to know.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2013, 03:22:20 AM »
Whoops. Double post and I can't delete. >.<

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2013, 04:50:25 AM »
Thursday: Sled pulling is... interesting. I felt tired after 3 sets/3 reps of 135 pounds on a 26 pound sled. However, I didn't feel sore at all! I even went ice skating the next day! :o How on earth...

So today, I went to the gym and did 4 exercises. 2 different squats, 1 dumbbell fly, and box jumps. Uh... I didn't realize how hard it was to pull a 65 pound dumbbell out of the rack. It's the right weight for the exercise (3 sets/15 reps), but I'm not strong enough to pull it out from that position. :sweat I definitely need to ask someone stronger than me to help.