You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice training reports  (Read 113947 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Off-ice training reports
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
I watched a guy leg press the entire stack of weights at my local gym.

Since I've made poor progress from my own strength training, at least after the first few days, he seemed like a good person to ask. I asked him a few questions, and he was happy to show off his knowledge.

He says that what books have advised me, not to do strength training two days in a row, was over-cautious. He just uses exercises on alternate days that strengthen different muscles.

He suggests doing 3 - 6 sets/day of each exercise. The upper end is for people who want to get strong in a hurry, and is not what he does. But he uses a lot of machines, to do a lot of different exercises, on a lot of different muscle groups - about 17 exercises. He also says that it is his experience that he can do strength and aerobics training the same day without running into problems.

BTW, a set is a strength training exercises, with or without a machine, that you do as many times as you can until you are (usually) too tired or sore to continue. Typically, 10 - 15 repetitions form a set. If you can't do about 10, you are possibly using too few repetitions to benefit. If you can do more than about 15, you possibly aren't using enough strength to benefit, though at some point you get an aerobics benefit. People used to say you should do a set, and rest until you can do another. Now people mostly do "circuits" - after doing what they can of one exercise, they do another, using different muscles. This uses your training time much more efficiently. This is sort of like what a video had suggested, that we do alternate strength and flexibility training exercises.

I think a lot of the constraints that the ACE Manual and similar sources suggest, like exercise frequency, are designed with the intent that NO ONE will be hurt, with very cautious liability concerns in mind. The problem is that making sure that a 500 pound individual who hasn't left the couch in 10 years won't be hurt is different from making sure that an athlete won't be hurt, or that those of us who are in the middle won't be hurt. I'm beginning to think we need to figure out our own guidelines, and throw the books away. I've already given up on the aerobics videos - they don't address my particular issues specifically enough, and they do the same exercises every day you watch them.

Likewise, you can often figure out which parts of your body need to be stretched yourself, by trying to do things, and feeling your body to see where the tension is. Of course, we mostly can't feel muscles and ligaments that aren't next to the skin, unless we make them sore. The person I was speaking to said he occasionally exercises things that limit his motion until it gets quite sore, so he can sense and figure out what needs to be stretched. Probably dangerous, if you do it too much, but maybe OK once in a while.

Oh- he says different machines of exactly the same type and model are very different, for reasons of manufacturing quality, maintenance and lubrication, equipment centering, etc. It doesn't trouble him that he uses a quite different amount of weight using the exact same machine in another gym.

He trains for about an hour every day. Some days he spends another hour on a machine resembling a recumbent bicycle. I was surprised to find I could spend that much time on the bicycle-like machine. I've never been able to spend anywhere near that much time on treadmills, or on machines resembling upright bicycles.

For most people, that is a lot of time to spend on training. But I'm trying to incorporate some of what he said.

If you limit yourself to body weight exercises, that is sometimes uses too little and sometimes too much strength to be much benefit. Yes, it has the advantage of using more muscles, because machines limit you to motions along very few directions, but if you aren't in the right strength zone, body weight just isn't always right. E.G., I'm not nearly strong enough to do a pull-up. Trying with no success doesn't give me much benefit. But pull-down weight machines are very slowly increasing similar muscle strength.

Likewise, I'm not quite strong enough to do good deep single leg knee bend and straightening exercises, which is very relevant to skating skills. When I try, my knee doesn't track well, which a PT said could eventually cause knee problems. Perhaps if I can first use leg presses to strengthen myself to the point that there is a greater margin of strength, the problem will go away? The PT said to bring into use more muscles (e.g., obliques, gluts, etc.), but that doesn't seem to be enough in itself.

One thing is very clear. The operation of those stupid aerobics exercise machines, with all the fancy electronics, is not obvious. Why don't they put better directions on the machines? It's even worse than a voice mail menu. They should just dump all the fancy electronics and complicated menus (except maybe a timer), and just add an adjustable resistance lever or knob.

Another rant. Most of the weight machines in my local gym don't adjust for small people very well. No matter how I adjust them, there is a lot of unnecessary strain on the back, or other places the machine isn't supposed to stress. Is making a machine adjustable so hard to do? I mean, some women, and a lot of kids, are smaller than me.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »
Another rant. Most of the weight machines in my local gym don't adjust for small people very well. No matter how I adjust them, there is a lot of unnecessary strain on the back, or other places the machine isn't supposed to stress. Is making a machine adjustable so hard to do? I mean, some women, and a lot of kids, are smaller than me.

I am told it is unsafe for children to lift weights before puberty.  Perhaps the machine is designed to discourage them.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 07:19:09 AM »
I am told it is unsafe for children to lift weights before puberty.  Perhaps the machine is designed to discourage them.
The machines are made for people of "average" size...in order to fit most people (i.e. maximize profits for gyms). If you fall outside of that range (too tall, too short, etc) you are out of luck. In that case, working with free weights (with a trainer until you know how) is your best bet.

Children can use weights, they shouldn't use heavy weights.  But if you think about it, doing a pushup is a heavy weight, as is a bodyweight squat. But they shouldn't use anything that places excessive loads on their body.  If you want to see an example of kids lifting weights, look at the CrossFit method. They do lift weights, but it's progressive.

I'm sore today from my fitness test...but it's in a good way! I start working out on Monday and I'm uber excited! This will help me tighten up. Now, if I could just get a handle on my eating.... ;D
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
I'm thinking about adding a ballet class.  I'd start with a summer fundamentals drop-in, and then commit to a full session in fall when my daughter goes back to school.  Is anyone else doing ballet?  Is it helping?

Beyond that, I'm still doing cardio and sk8strong in addition to my skating - the same several things rotated through. It doesn't seem worth posting about, but I'm sticking with it and staying on schedule.  :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »
I'm thinking about adding a ballet class.  I'd start with a summer fundamentals drop-in, and then commit to a full session in fall when my daughter goes back to school.  Is anyone else doing ballet?  Is it helping?

Beyond that, I'm still doing cardio and sk8strong in addition to my skating - the same several things rotated through. It doesn't seem worth posting about, but I'm sticking with it and staying on schedule.  :)
I would do ballet but there aren't any classes here in the summer-only "intensity camps" for seasoned dancers.  I did find it useful, though.

Today I have my session with the trainer...can't wait it will be interesting as my legs are still very sore from all those squats!

I do know that I won't make much progress if I don't do better with my nutrition.  Epic fail in that department. :o

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
I do know that I won't make much progress if I don't do better with my nutrition.  Epic fail in that department. :o

Oh, me too!  I'm trying though. . . just not hard enough apparently.  Must.get.better! *facepalm* 

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 06:45:50 PM »
Today's workout with the trainer:

5 laps (standard warm up)
2 laps with 2-6# cubes
1 minute lifting (bar+20#s), straight up to chest level then down
2 laps with 2-6# cubes
Sprints between 2 openings on track w/ weights
1 minute lifting (bar+20#s), straight up to chest level then down
2 laps with 2-6# cubes
Sprints between 2 openings on track w/ weights
1 lap with 2-6# cubes
1 lap with 1-6# cube
1 lap with 0 cubes
1 lap with 2-6# cubes
1 lap with 1-6# cube
1 lap with 0 cubes
1 lap with 2-6# cubes
1 lap with 1-6# cube
1 lap with 0 cubes
1 minute jumping jack splits (legs go out like a split jump and back in before you land)
1 minute "climbing" in plank position up and down the railing
1 minute jumping jack splits (legs go out like a split jump and back in before you land)

Needless to say, I am covered with sweat!!

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
Today, after I returned home from skating, I changed and went to the gym.  Although it's usually recommended that you take a day of rest between workouts with weights, I worked out (yesterday's workout was an orientation more than anything else).

A variety of cardio (i.e. treadmill), machines & free weights...followed by some lovely stretches at the end.  I also plan on working out Thursday morning. Next week, I'm changing the plan a bit-upping the weights and dropping the reps...I don't like doing 12-15 reps with farty little weights.  ;D

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
I start working with a trainer tomorrow morning and then three times a week after that. Wish me luck! :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
I start working with a trainer tomorrow morning and then three times a week after that. Wish me luck! :)
Awesome!

No workout for me today, contractor ran over his time which meant I was stuck in the house with him, making decisions, etc.  I have class this evening and won't make it back before they close. Not sure if I can go in the morning, as I'm going out of town for two days...argh! I'm sure I'll catch up somehow.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
My trainer had me doing what I call "old lady circuit". Upper body weights alternating with 1 minute fast step. I get bored so I fall back on my old step routines (round the world, V step, over the top and back, flick step--it was good to go back to the 80's). Anyway after what dance coach has put me through the last week, even fast step doesn't make me breath hard.

Bummer: Still can't do triceps with 15's. I'm such a wuss.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
Went to the gym yesterday after skating...

20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill. (varying between 4-6mph). No incline as of yet, I'm easing into it.  Weight circuits, upped my weight in everything. I cannot get any benefit from 10 pounds. Really.

Did circuits of: bicep curls, overhead press; squats, leg press, leg curls; chest press, lat pulldown, tricep kickbacks. 

Then did ab work: crunches on bosu ball, planks (front & side). Followed by 15 minutes of stretching. My son helped me with spiral stretches. 

It was a good workout!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
I've now completed session three of my workouts with a trainer. I'm already noticing a difference in my body, mainly that my tummy is flattening a bit. My face is also a little thinner. My trainer works with me today on a lot of balanced based activities. She knows I skate and knows I want to lose weight while toning up my body and strengthening everything so she is trying to think of activities that will help with the ice skating. :) It's pretty awesome, and she is really nice and encouraging. She said today that "you're pretty strong and I can tell you're athletic" because I'm able to do all the activities she's having me do even though I'm not incredibly fit. Give it two months and hopefully I'll look worlds different. :) I'll eventually do a before/after photo post here. My goal is to be able to order a custom ebay dress for competition in September at the end of August.

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
took a floor barre/yoga class. very helpful.

bought a pair of ballet slippers, but the straps come separately. anyone know how to sew the straps on/have any tips?

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
Emilayy-did you try googling? My ballet shoes came with an elastic strap attached. Hmmmm.

Had a killer workout at the gym. I'm doing High-Intensity Intervals on the treadmill at the beginning as a "warm-up" to weights...It was hot & humid today, even inside the gym.  I bumped up almost all my weights, and I'm pushing 90 pounds on the leg press. That might not sound like a lot but on Monday I was pushing 75. I'll stay here for a while...after my competition, I'll up the weights some more, and add back the sit-spin exercises (there is a problem that I might over-train). 

I took my measurements this morning and my 6 weeks of sloth has cost me...I'm down 4 pounds of muscle and up 5 pounds of fat. At my age, I can't do that again! Recovering from that is way too hard a battle!

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
I did the last roller skate session of the season on PIC skates tonight. The rink will be closed until the end of August. I REALLY miss ice skating about now.

With the hot weather (mid-90's with oppressive humidity), it was a supremely sweaty workout. The rink is NOT air conditioned, and I could do only 1:45 before I started to feel a little nauseous. It was time to stop before I had a heat stroke.

I never did recover the spins on PICs that I had the previous summer. They just didn't click this summer, and I really didn't try hard enough. It's too bad though - it would have helped my spins back on ice.
Bill Schneider

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 08:03:25 AM »
My son and I have been hitting the gym fairly regularly. We went last night and I upped my leg routine to include single leg presses. It was very difficult on the left leg (my weak one). I figured that simulates a sit spin. They hurt today but I can still walk. I also make a point to really stretch out and that's going well. My spiral on the right leg is above my head, the left, about even (still needs work on that). But, I can pick up my left leg in the front and pull it up which I couldn't do before. My goal is to do that and have it somewhat near my shoulder :o

My son is really starting to put on the muscle-ladies, lock up your daughters! Now, if I could just convince him to come back to the rink and ice dance.....(he used to play hockey).

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 09:42:40 AM »
So, lately I've upped the ante with cardio-added the StairMaster.....OMG!

I've also added balance disc exercises for core conditioning. Stand on disc, arms out to side, hold free leg out to front (not very far), hold for 30 seconds; hold to side 30 seconds; hold to back 30 seconds; switch legs. Do twice. Then circular movement (ballet-rond de jamb) 5x each side. Hard as heck!

Lastly, added medicine ball core exercise-backspin position with legs, hold ball at chest, twist upper torso each direction 15x.

Next week I add PLYO!

I can tell all the strength exercises are working-I have doubled my jumping distance on ice, after adding plyo I should be adding HEIGHT!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »
took a floor barre/yoga class. very helpful.

bought a pair of ballet slippers, but the straps come separately. anyone know how to sew the straps on/have any tips?

You can just put a strap straight across the middle - put the slipper on and decide where it should go. I like mine just below the highest part of the arch.  HOWEVER, I prefer my straps to be criss-crossed.  So I start them at the front of my ankle and then criss cross them to just in front of the highest part of my arch.  It depends on the shape of your foot though.

Can you ask your ballet instructor what is best for your foot?

Make sure not to sew through the drawstring.  Once everything is sewn, tighten the drawstring to your liking, tie a firm knot and then cut all but a tiny bit, which tucks into your shoes.  Don't tie the drawstring into a bow- it looks silly and is akin to someone skating with shoelaces wrapped around their ankles- a clear beginner.

You did buy slippers, and not pointe shoes right?  Most slippers do come with the straps attached, or if designed for crossing the back half of the strap attached.  Pointe shoes almost never do.  You don't want those.

Here is a good video:

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
Well besides going ice skating Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, I just jogged/walked 2 miles. Took me about 40 something minutes and I know its not a definite 2 miles but a lil more. Its my driveway+length of road to a main street. Its also composed of sand and at times soft sand. Uphill both ways. Except right before turning back around.. It has a huge descending slope.. So naturally after being exhausted from the first part of the session, that was a BREEZE! I found myself shuffling up it, so i forced myself to do high knees and stairclimb that piece. Lets just say when i got off my clothes and hopped in the bath, i fell asleep immediately. Now im going to finish my sleep.

I guess I'll jog on my not ice days, and when on the ice stand on it for at least a full hour even if im not skating, just standing and dropping my weight low, and lifting my legs to practice balance on the ice. I also kinda lean as if im a skiier and try to "loosen" up my ankles so they can bend more. meh, it works

PS: Jogging is my arch nemesis. I mean.. I am hard on myself. I motivated myself by saying over and over in my head: Why are you doing this? You're never gonna lose weight, you'll always be fat -- You know.. Pleasent stuff. But oh the feeling of sweet victory.

Quote from: Google Translator
Somehow I doubt that a competitor not only lamented that did not skate her best, because the ice cake.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 12:27:05 AM »
OK I slacked off big time, but with summer approaching I ought to do better.
Downloaded a yoga app to my android and man I am barely able to hold onto some poses.
Thought I'm reasonably flexible / strong with all the skating but WRONG!

How is everyone doing with off-ice training? ;)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
The weather was beautiful this past weekend, perfect for outdoor activities like biking. Went swimming today and suffering severe muscle pains in my arms due to freestyle swimming while the legs don't feel anything. Likely can't lift my arms tomorrow in lesson :cry

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 12:45:08 AM »
perfect for outdoor activities like bikinginline skating.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »
Alright this is the off ice routine in camp today, I may have left out some stuff or mixed the order here and there.

2 laps - running on the stairs*
2 laps - stairs*, every other step
2 laps - stairs*, 5 steps up and 2 steps down
2 laps - running on the stairs
(* indicates half length, kids did full length)
Stretch hamstrings
8 laps of bench leaps
50 step ups on bench
25 jumping jacks
Hip rotation, 25 each side
Spiral stretch, 10 sets on each foot (9 pony kicks, hold spiral position for 10 seconds on 10th kick) -- took me forevah
3 sets of 25 jumping jacks, 10 crouches, 10 bicycles (reduced for me I believe)
10 leg lifts, 10 seconds each
2 laps of H skips in the lobby
8 tip toe waltz jumps
Split stretches on both sides

Let's say I was never athletic as a kid, either...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »
Thanks - have some +GOE
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com