You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice training reports  (Read 113947 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Off-ice training reports
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:59:26 AM »
OK training buddies anyone? I really need to get in shape yet keep slacking off on stretching and strength training. Maybe a training thread could keep me and anyone else interested on track?

Feel free to share workout routines, encouragements, tips, improvements, everything goes!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Off-ice training reports
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »
I'm currently doing a dvd workout: Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. It's tough but doable (I'm 49). Yoga when I feel like it. I also have begun sit-spin exercises to build up strength in my legs. Here is the site for that: (our own Lindafmb has put this out along with other exercises).

Other than the above and skating 1-2 times a week, that's it.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:06:18 PM »
Ooh, good idea!  :)

I do about 3 miles on the treadmill every morning - sometimes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes intervals.  I like to use the Couch to 5 K program to get faster, so I'll go through that every so often.  With a couple days of early ice time each week now, I might swap this for a spinning class later in the morning on one of those days and some sort of cardio class on the other.  Maybe.  Or I might just get on the elliptical at the club.

For now I'm also adding in the Sk8Strong Adult DVD, 2 or 3 times each week.  This morning I did the warm-up and circuit 1, along with the treadmill.

If that seems like a lot, I'm actively trying to lose weight, not just train for skating. For my goals, I need the extra.  :P

Offline rsk8d

• Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »
Go Elsa! Glad you're using our program!

People always ask what I do, so here goes..... I'm not actively training for skating right now, as I have 2 small children who are my top priority. I do make time for 2 days of intense workout that include 1/2 hour of interval training on the spin bike, a 10 minute dynamic warmup, functional training circuits mixed with intervals of plyometrics and/or jump rope, and foam rolling for cool down. I never do the same circuit back to back in the same week to avoid muscle fatigue and soreness.  I also alternate linear and lateral plyos on opposite days. I do a balance of hamstring, quad, glut, and hip stabilizer exercises to avoid one muscle becoming too dominant.

If I were training for skating (which I hope to get back to in 3 years when my daughter is in 1st grade), I would increase the intensity of intervals to mimic the highs and lows of heart rate and intensity in a 3 1/2 minute program.
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
I alternate core and leg each day, so I do core 3x a week and leg 3x a week. I mostly look online for individual exercises, right now some of my exercises are one foot squats, weighted spirals, bicycle crunches w/ ankle weights, planks, and such. I try to target each muscle group.
I need to do more cardio or dynamic exercises.. I can run a pretty good mile, but aerobic type stuff kills me.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:52:54 PM »
in addition to the 3-4 days a week that I am on the ice, I also am currently doing 2 days a week at the gym with a trainer (this will become 1 after August and I will do that for 3-6 months, then go back to 2 days a week). At the gym we never do the same thing twice. We rotate through cardio, plyometrics, upperbody, core, and legs. We do a lot of squats, squat thrusts, and lunges on leg days (which we plan pretty strategically so that I am not sore for a lesson), and those usually involve a 25# plate. Squat jumps also show their ugly head often. WE do a lot of running and skipping and high knees and bunny hops (doing a full lap on a 1/15 mile track is NOT fun). We do box jumps and other jumping exercises. Inclined situps with a medicine ball are always fun :) We do a lot with barbells, dumbbells, plates, kettlebells, etc. Like I said, we never really do the same thing twice.

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
I thought about hitting one of the local gyms...although there aren't many in my area there is one affiliated with the hospital so you know the equipment is cleaned regularly (pet peeve of mine) and the trainers are ACE certified....They offer boot camp, zumba, stretching, and yoga classes. Might be just what I need and so far my summer isn't as crazy as last. 

Kim & Elsa-kudos on the running. I can't run anymore because it stresses my back too much. Not worth the pain.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
Kim & Elsa-kudos on the running. I can't run anymore because it stresses my back too much. Not worth the pain.

Thanks :) I can't stand it, but I do it because it is good for me. I get bored easily and quickly!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
You guys are truly inspiring! I'm using dvd workouts for yoga and cardio but have difficulties completing them, especially if I got up late. Gotta try harder!

Offline Elsa

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 06:38:30 PM »
Go Elsa! Glad you're using our program!

Thanks! It's a great program, but I have a love/hate relationship with it.  For instance, when I finished yesterday I felt pretty good. This morning though, I was thinking some not very nice things about you when I rolled out of bed and staggered across the room.   :laugh:

Thanks :) I can't stand it, but I do it because it is good for me. I get bored easily and quickly!

Thanks! I'm not a fan either, but it works and I can pretty much zone out with my ipod while I do it.

Offline Elsa

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
Jane, did you want this to be an ongoing thread like the on-ice practice thread?  I'd be more than happy to update (and have somewhere to be accountable) if you do.  :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
Jane, did you want this to be an ongoing thread like the on-ice practice thread?  I'd be more than happy to update (and have somewhere to be accountable) if you do.  :)

Yes please!

Offline Elsa

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
Will do!  :)

Disclaimer - I have no idea if what I'm doing is the "right" thing, but it's working for me (for now) and I'll tweak it as I learn more.

Sat 6/18 - 3 miles on the treadmill - easy day, pretty slow (90 minute adult open skate, mostly free/MIF in the evening)
Sun 6/19 - Another easy 3 miles along with the sk8strong adult warm-up/circuit one (and an unplanned free/MIF session - 60 min in the afternoon)
Mon 6/20 - Treadmill - intervals, 4 miles (90 minutes of MIF and dance lessons tonight)

Jane, I get up before my husband and daughter every morning.  It was really hard at first, but now it's a habit.  On the days I forget to set my alarm I still usually wake up on time.  I'm pretty introverted and it's often the only real alone time I get all day, so I'm pretty motivated to protect it.

For me exercise/skating is the easier part.  It's the diet that kills me.   :bash

Offline rsk8d

• Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
Thanks! It's a great program, but I have a love/hate relationship with it.  For instance, when I finished yesterday I felt pretty good. This morning though, I was thinking some not very nice things about you when I rolled out of bed and staggered across the room.   :laugh:

The more you do it on a consistent basis, the nicer feeling you will have getting out of bed. :)  If I take a few weeks off, I'm swearing at myself as well.....
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »
Ongoing thread, okay :)

So lately I've been focusing on spiral muscles. One side is getting pretty high, high enough to hit my foot on the pull cord for the ceiling fan :laugh: Luckily, it's the side that is currently in my program.
Dredged myself through some squat jumps.

Maybe I should try to find a workout DVD at the library so I can make a more regular routine.

I'll try to get myself to go running this weekend. I usually only run 2 miles because I take a dog with me.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »
Tonight was:

5 laps jogging (1/15 mile track)

Next: with 2 10# plates
1 lap back kicks
1 lap sprint
1 lap back kicks
1 lap skip
1 lap shuffle

Next:
50 pushups on the barbell - alternating feet (left foot on floor, then right foot on floor)
2 laps back kicks
50 pushups on the barbell - alternating feet
2 laps back kicks
1 lap sprint

Next:
with 2 5# plates
50 right arm up, left arm down, squat, when rising switch arms, repeat
2 laps sprinting with 5# plates
50 squats as above
2 laps sprinting

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »
How I admire all your energy!

I work in a building a quarter mile long. Today I did 4 fast-walked round trips. I'm at one end the people that need to talk to me are at the other. Plus running up and down stairs. It counts. And they pay me for it.

Met with personal trainer in late afternoon. Worked on shoulders and arms with heavy dumb bells, legs and core with a body bar.

Finished the day with an hour of power yoga. Yes it does me good, but OMG is it boring.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 12:27:26 AM »
Managed to complete the yoga video for the second time ever - you guys inspire me! Lots of sweat and surprisingly some poses that I was not able to do on the first attempt improved a lot. Some poses will never be as good unless I lose weight in the lower body, that's something to fight for!! Could totally see certain poses helpful to the sit spin and the layback.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
I failed to wake up early enough to work out, however there's so many fires in the area that I could smell the smoke in my apartment. Not something I'm going to put myself into. 

I am going skating tonight though, and I will be going to the Y tomorrow morning (I have a membership, I should use it for things other than the yoga classes) so I just need to get to bed early and get up early. It helps that I've got some freelance stuff to work on.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »
I biked around today because car is under major maintenance.
90F + 65% humidity + uphill against the CHICAGO wind = good workout.

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
No workout today I did stop by the hospital's gym and talked with one of the trainers. Picked up the application. Joining there is a bit pricier but the trainers are certified, and once I start working (officially) at the hospital, the rate drops.  Unfortunately, the classes (boot camp, yoga/stretch, etc) are only at the other location which is about 30-45 minutes away (depending on the traffic).  But I can go there in the fall after classes (if I stay motivated that is).

Membership in this gym requires a physical because of my health history & age. That might be difficult as my doc office is on summer hours (shorter hours, less coverage, not as easy to get in for routine things).

Offline Elsa

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
Intervals on the treadmill yesterday after skating, but nothing so far today. I really need something though, because I had a moves lesson that was a lot of standing around and turns, and not much heart rate increasing activity.  I'm hoping to get something in around dinner time when my husband gets home because my daughter has no interest in going to the health club today. . . or any day really.  Might be worth it to drop that membership for a membership at the community center with the rink. 

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »
so i can run for an hour straight, but after my 2:10 program, i'm huffin and puffin. i thought running was the best way to gain endurance, but it doesn't seem to be helping. any tips?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
Interval training and sprinting.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
Had my fitness assessment today at my new gym. It's affiliated with the hospital, so it is required. It is also very intensive!  Treadmill was stepped incline, and my blood pressure was measured at intervals, along with my "perceived exertion"-that was new-I passed with flying colors.  Next was sit-reach, which I also passed.  Then I did squats (no weights) - I did 60 (thanks to skating!!!!). Pushups was a dismal failure at 10 (on knees lol). hahaha. Situps was next, which was an almost failure.

Although he did remark that MOST WOMEN MY AGE fail the treadmill, and only manage 3-4 of each except the pushups, in which they only do 1 if that.  So I was pleased with that, but overall I know my fitness has declined  thanks to sitting a lot more because of school.

I go back on Monday for my actual workout, which will be done one-on-one with the trainer.  Then I am cut loose and can work out on my own.  I will have re-assessments every 3-4 weeks.  I'm hoping this works out and I can keep it up during the fall semester.

ps-I also signed my son up at his request! He gets his fitness assessment when he returns from camp. ;D