You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Advice on new skates (AKA advanced skater returning after looooong hiatus)  (Read 2561 times)

Offline CarolineE

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
Hey everyone!

So I am looking to get back into skating and getting some new legit skates. I have been using ooold SP Terri's that are fine but I need an upgrade!

I stopped skating when I was in high school (I'm 26 now) and I was doing doubles and using Riedell Gold skates and MK Vision blades. They were great! Obviously, I'm not going to immediately start doing that stuff now, but I'd like some substantial skates. I went to a skating shop and a dude there recommended I get the Jackson Competitor XP skates with Aspire XP blades. Does anyone have any experience with these skates? I'm worried they might very different than what I was used to (specifically with the blades).

Thanks! :o

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Based on this

http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Ultima-UB25-Aspire-XP-Figure-Skate-Blades-UB25.htm

the Aspire XP blades are for beginning freestyle or dance skater - it sounds like you were beyond that.

The boots

http://www.skaterslanding.com/jackson-competitor-boot-only.html

are fancier than that.

"Riedell Gold" covers several different models, of different price ranges.

Apart from that I lack the expertise to comment on the proposed skates and blades.

Did you have referrals to the skate pro shop? I suggest you ask the best skaters you can find in your area which pro shop they use, and which specific skate tech at that shop, since a bad skate tech can really mess you up. In fact, since you are around NYC, according to your introduction, maybe someone here can advise you where to go, and to whom.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
There are so many threads about skates in this forum - have you gone through them?

Based on what you've mentioned your foot may be a "Reidell foot" so you might want to go with a Reidell boot still - Reidell Gold is probably the Gold Star.

The Vision blade - is that still made?  No sure although it may have re-emerged as MK Vantage.  Or it's the other way around.

IMHO even though you don't intend to do doubles, etc. right away you probably would do best in a boot that would work for your foot and a blade you are comfortable with.  It's not like you are "not allowed" to do singles or dance or Moves or figures or whatever you would like in that same type of boot/blade combination. 

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Why do you need an upgrade?

What were your old blades, and what shape are the old boots and blades in?

BTW, have you spent at least 10 - 15 sessions in the old SP Terris? If they aren't broken down, and fit reasonably well, or could be made to, you need that much time to figure out what you may be ready to do. Maybe they will turn out to be good enough.

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
Get the Riedell Gold Stars for Adults and get a blade similar to what you were use to when you stopped skating. They will take you through to all your doubles.

http://ice.riedellskates.com/products/boots/1375-gold-star/#.Vttu5qhOlpUu

http://ice.riedellskates.com/products/blades/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
I second the "if your old skates still fit".... shoot, they know the steps, so it should make getting back into form easier.  If they don't fit anymore, or are broken down, then I would say get thee to a reputable skate shop and see what the fitter says. You probably have a good idea of what equipment you need as a skater. As for blades I wouldn't get anything less than a Professional/CorAce.  No reason why you can't stick with Visions if that worked for you before and are within your budget.

Welcome back and enjoy!!!!!

Online Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
I've been told by a lot of people (including boot fitters) that if you have a Riedell foot, Jacksons will not be a good fit for you, and vice versa.

Offline Theresa_H

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Why not replace them with a new pair of SP-Terris? Within the past year, I returned to skating after a ~17-year hiatus. I used to skate in Harlicks, but when I returned, I ordered Jacksons on the recommendation of a skate pro. They have never been as comfortable as my old Harlicks, and I've had problems with durability of the soles (2 sets of soles now in just over a year) and customer service.

If you think you're serious about returning, it's worth investing in a pair that you'll be happy with; otherwise, they have the potential to turn into a recurrent source of frustration. Get a pair that will carry through if you intend to get back to doing doubles. Things will already feel different for you as a returnee; you don't need an additional source of frustration.

Offline nora

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 8
If you had doubles up to flip or lutz consistent I think Jackson competitor, or anything with the same stiffness, will break down too fast for you. I was in your exact situations 1.5 years ago, had all doubles consistent, quit for ten years ad started again at 26. I went with Jackson elite 4200, two models up from competitor, and broke them down after 6 months of skating 3h/week!! It's a lot easier to get back into it then what you think, so I wouldnt level down on the boot to much. If you are on a budget, I'd rather save on blades than boots. As long as you go for the same rocker and don't level down too much, you'll be fine. Top level blades isn't really necessary unless you're planning to go for triple flip ;)