You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone Not Lacing The Top Hooks?  (Read 7350 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Anyone Not Lacing The Top Hooks?
« on: December 11, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
In the search for deeper ankle bends, being someone with a slight dorsiflexion limitation, I'm considering not lacing the top hooks on my boots.  There's an (adult) Gold skater at my rink who never laces her top hooks and she's jumping and spinning all the time (including axel).

So, I'm wondering, is there anyone here who also skips the top hook?  If so, talk to me!  Why do you skip it?  Do you think it helps?  Do you ever feel like your ankle is unsupported or that your boots are wobbly?

When I was breaking in my Harlick's, I tied only the first two hooks.  Then three.  When it was time to lace them all the way, to four, I was sad.  It felt so good at three.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Anyone Not Lacing The Top Hooks?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
I never lace my top hooks.  I wear SP Teri Dance boot - if it feels a little "loose" I just re-tie.

I do not jump in these boots but if I did jump I still would have the hooks as they are because if I was jumping I would want my ankles to bend at the appropriate times/places.

If I do all of the hooks I cannot bend my ankle very well.

Just go for it. If you feel more comfortable with three then why not?

There are no rules for this sort of thing! It is all personal preference IMHO.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
I have to have my skate tight and even when I'm breaking in skates I lace the top hook.  I also have quite low cut dance boots so if I didn't it would just be like wearing shoes. I broke the two top hooks so I went hookless at hte top until I got the fixed and just didn't like it.  I could skate but i ended up with a blister because I guess the tongue ended up sitting differently.

As IceDancer said there is no rule for how to lace your skates.  If you feel not lacing that hook will give you deeper knee bend go for it. 

I find though that the knee bend comes more from the top of the laces before the hooks.  Where you develop the crease, not necessarily the hook part of the skate

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »
No I've never tied my top hooks. But I need a little something up there. I used to use pony tail holders, but now I use Katstrapz.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 07:28:17 PM »
I leave the top hooks undone. I tighten the bottom threaded holes and then tie it off so it won't loosen, then I do three hooks just snug not tight, leave the top open. I never have to adjust anymore, they don;t loosen and I get the tension right first time.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 07:58:10 PM »
Although I don't hook my top hooks, I do put the bows on them and tighten (snug) those before tucking in the ends of my laces (so I don't have to tuck the bows).  Does this make any sense?  I think this may make the tops of the boots a little snugger than if I didn't use the top hooks for anything...

But honestly I don't even think about it - I just do it - so this is what I think I do and have done for years with this particular pair of boots I have.

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »
I never have to adjust anymore, they don;t loosen and I get the tension right first time.

icedancer, SynchKat, AgnesNitt--have you noticed the same thing?

ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
After breaking in my Klingbeils and SP-Teri skates, I used the top hooks.

Never used the top hook on my Jackson Competitors because they came up much higher on my calf than the other brands.  I skipped the top hook but hooked the next-lower hook twice.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »
icedancer, SynchKat, AgnesNitt--have you noticed the same thing?

I changed how I pulled my laces. If I pull them down towards the blade, they don't tend to loosen. If I pull them up, they get too tight and then loosen. It's a mystery. 
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
I have never laced the top hooks on my skates. I feel like I get a better bend, and I've kept them unlaced since I broke in my skates ~5 years ago. I've successfully landed an axel and a few doubles.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:46:38 PM »
I didn't lace the top hooks on my old boots for about 18 months.. I got better knee bend with them that way, and I was very comfortable with them that way.  In hindsight, when I started lacing the top hook was probably when those boots started showing signs of breaking down - but lacing all the way up helped them hold out until I replaced them.  It also coincided with when I started working on my axel and doubles again in the harness, and I did feel somewhat insecure on landings until I laced them all the way.  I've been lacing my current boots all the way up since almost the beginning (only a couple of weeks to the 3rd hook), but with two flex notches instead of just one I never had the same issues bending at the ankle in these that I did before, so I was just as comfortable lacing all the way up as leaving it undone - and they are actually a stiffer boot.

Personally, if YOU are happy leaving that top hook undone, there's really no reason you should worry about lacing them up all the way... ever :)  Should you have any problems in the future that lacing them all the way up might help solve (unsteady jump landings, etc), then you can revisit it, but otherwise I'd just leave them as they are :)

Also, it's worth noting that I don't think NOT lacing them all the way contributed to my skates old breaking down - after 15 months in my current boots I'm starting to feel the same, and I will probably look into getting another pair after the holiday madness is over, keeping my old ones for teaching LTS.  I'm beginning to suspect that 18 months may just be the expected lifespan for a pair of my boots.

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
I changed how I pulled my laces. If I pull them down towards the blade, they don't tend to loosen. If I pull them up, they get too tight and then loosen. It's a mystery.

That's interesting. I should try that. Thanks!
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
Great feedback!

I pull down as well.  I don't have a problem with them loosening either.  It's a handy trick!

I have never laced the top hooks on my skates. I feel like I get a better bend, and I've kept them unlaced since I broke in my skates ~5 years ago. I've successfully landed an axel and a few doubles.

:love:  Awesome!

I didn't lace the top hooks on my old boots for about 18 months.. I got better knee bend with them that way, and I was very comfortable with them that way.

That's what I'm thinking/feeling.

Although I don't hook my top hooks, I do put the bows on them and tighten (snug) those before tucking in the ends of my laces (so I don't have to tuck the bows).

My laces are too long when I use the top hooks and I have so much extra.  I'm going to buy shorter laces because there's just way, way, way too much to tuck.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »
You can just cut the ends of your current laces if you are certain they are too long - just tie knots in the ends so they won't go through the lace holes and that should work just fine :)  Aglets (plastic bits on the ends) are only required to get the laces through the holes the first time.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 02:20:44 AM »
I also pull the laces down towards the blades.  I never have to retighten....my old skate tech told me they stay tighter that way (also if you pop a lace somehow they hold a little better?).  I think the staying tight may have to do with the extra little loop you get around the hook.

In the past, I always skated with all the hooks done (post-break in).  And I certainly could  not have done otherwise in my old, but still pretty stiff skates- they were broken down just enough that even for dance, I wanted the support.

Now, I'm in dance boots (Risport).  They are lower, so my top hook corresponds to the third hook on my freestyle skates.  Now, I'm still adjusting to them, and haven't tried jumping, I don't think I'd be afraid too.  BUT in the break in phase I did try leaving the top hook (so the equivalent of the 2nd on free boots) undone.  It was scary, and lasted less than a minute- the time it took me to stroke a couple times and hurry back off the ice.  Given this, I think if I ever went back to free boots I'd be just fine, and may prefer to stop at 3.

So, I'm agreeing with everyone else- if you're more comfortable stopping at the third hook, do it.  If you find down the road, like SarahSpins did that you do want that 4th hook, you can always go back.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »
I've only got 3 pairs of hooks on mine (Riedell 2010LS) so always did all the hooks up, right from the start. They are cut more like dance boots but are supposedly for both dance and free.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
I hook the bottom hook snug, the next hook a little less snug, and then I bend my ankle a little and lace up the top two hooks while pulling very little.  Gives me plenty of support without feeling like my skates are loose and I can still bend properly.

I used to tie them very tight but I like tying them this way better.  Also less likely to cause lace bite.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »
So yesterday I paid attention to how I tie my boots - because it is so automatic!

I don't use the top hooks at all - for anything.  I do wear an ankle sleeve on my right ankle - for whatever reason it feels better that way but I don't need one on my left ankle.

I tighten the "foot" part below the hooks to a comfortable snugness.  Then I do a cross and maybe a double-cross at the ankle - the bottom hooks I hook over the top (going down towards the blade) and the next two hooks I do the "regular way" - from underneath.  Then I make a bow and hook the bows on the 2nd row of hooks and tuck in the ends of my laces.

I usually don't have to readjust unless for some reason something just does not feel right in the boot - I have noticed that the bamboo socks I wear sometimes bunch up a little and I can't stand it.

I wear an SP Teri Dance boot and do not jump.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »
I didn't lace the top hooks today for my Bronze MIF test and all went well (even with my wobbly nerves).   :love:

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
My laces are too long when I use the top hooks and I have so much extra.  I'm going to buy shorter laces because there's just way, way, way too much to tuck.
You can just cut the ends of your current laces if you are certain they are too long - just tie knots in the ends so they won't go through the lace holes and that should work just fine :)  Aglets (plastic bits on the ends) are only required to get the laces through the holes the first time.
Or if you want to keep the aglets but don't want to spring for new laces, you can pull the excess lace *evenly* through to the toe end, cut the excess out between the first toe holes (effectively cutting the lace in two equal halves), and tie a neat knot there.  Bonus is you keep the aglets.  Negative is the knot doesn't look as nice as smooth lace, even if the knot is neat.

You can still remove the whole lace without untying the knot, but you do need to remove each half separately and pull the knot out last.  Nice laces are expensive down here, so we tend to make 'em do!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »
I didn't lace the top hooks today for my Bronze MIF test and all went well (even with my wobbly nerves).   :love:

Does that mean you passed?  Congrats!!

ETA - just saw other thread - definitely CONGRATS!!   :toppts:

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
Does that mean you passed?  Congrats!!

ETA - just saw other thread - definitely CONGRATS!!   :toppts:

I'm so glad to be moving on!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
I've had my current skates going on 3 years and I have yet to lace the top hook. I think I tried it one time and it made me feel really constricted in my movements. :)

Offline KateSkates

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
My coach unlaced my top hooks for me back in LTS years ago.  (I couldn't bend enough to get my back crossovers.) I have never done my top hooks since. I have Jackson Competitors. I cut the laces so I wouldn't have to tuck in the ends.